DIY: Side marker running light and blink - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 11:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 51 reviews
Default DIY: Side marker running light and blink

I thought about this after a customer came to the shop to have side markers installed. I wired them so that they blink with the turn signals only. he wanted them to come on with the running lights and blink with the turn signals. I told him I couldn't do it with what I had at the shop, but really I never put too much thought to it. For a while I've been pondering it and tonight I put my ideas to work and tried it out.

This is what I came up with...

Wire the side marker bulb to ground and the power directly to the turn signal wire on the corner light (green/yellow wire for right, green/blue for left). and run a wire from the running light power to the same wire but put a resistor in between. That way when the running lights are on the side marker will be lit but not as bright as when the turn signal light comes on. I have not tried this first hand but I'll make a morning of it tomorrow. You need 22 ohm resistors rated for 2.7+ watts. you can play with different ohm resistors to adjust the brightness of the side marker running lights(higher ohm = dimmer, lower ohm = brighter). You also have to put a diode in between both power wires feeding the side marker.

Results:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by NeonPinHead; 03-21-2012 at 05:02 PM.
NeonPinHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2011, 11:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

Wrd

Quote:
you will get stuck in the "willfully ignorant" category and I will do what I can to see that you never get an answer to any question you ever ask on this forum again.

BiggieBert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2011, 12:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 14 19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

I did this on my car all stock wiring just some splicing.
1991 Honda Civic Hatchback Si
1998 Honda Civic Sedan EX

19si91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Sounds like a good idea how did it go, if it work how difficult was it would love to do this to my car.
Malkion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2011, 05:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
\/ apply baby lotion here \/

Rep Power: 46 Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 136 reviews

this still aint a DIY thread with just one picture.... MS paint picture if that lol

get to work, make it happen and post a youtube vid

Pata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2011, 05:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 16 wakkjobb is the fucking MAN!!!!wakkjobb is the fucking MAN!!!!wakkjobb is the fucking MAN!!!!
wakkjobb is the fucking MAN!!!!wakkjobb is the fucking MAN!!!!wakkjobb is the fucking MAN!!!!wakkjobb is the fucking MAN!!!!wakkjobb is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

I've been thinking about sidemarkers to stick in the scallops of the EG fenders; this should do the trick. Copied and saved.

Rep!

1985 4Runner: 22RE w/ engnbldr head, 261* cam and O/S valves, 5.29 gears, Detroit front locker, E-Locker rear, girlfriend-bought 38" tires, 4" AllPro lift, dual t-cases, hi steer and an increasing amount of body damage. But that's what it's for; it's not a Jeep.

Quote:
There's no reason a car built on a Fairmont chassis with a Pinto engine and Lincoln brakes should work this well, but it does!
wakkjobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2011, 06:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

side markers are for ricers
Old 12-11-2011, 08:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle741852963 View Post
Side markers look nice if done right. I actually miss having a blinker on my fender. Going from my S2000 to my hatch, it's just nice to know the people next to you know you are getting over.
CampinCracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2011, 08:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

yeah i guess thats true
Old 12-11-2011, 11:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Pew Pew!

Rep Power: 23 Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Sammo115

I've had my side markers wired the same way as your customer wanted for almost 4 years now Hahah..
Sammo115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2011, 09:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
\/ apply baby lotion here \/

Rep Power: 46 Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 136 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle741852963 View Post
nice red Dot

Pata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!

the bench test worked great with the resistor. Going to wire them in tonight. The diodes are so voltage only flows to the side marker and not back to the corner light. For instange if the running lights are on without a diode you wouls be getting power through the resistor back to the turn signal bulbs in the corner lights. also when the turn signal on the running light filiment in the corner light would be blinking also.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:19 AM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonPinHead View Post
the bench test worked great with the resistor. Going to wire them in tonight. The diodes are so voltage only flows to the side marker and not back to the corner light. For instange if the running lights are on without a diode you wouls be getting power through the resistor back to the turn signal bulbs in the corner lights. also when the turn signal on the running light filiment in the corner light would be blinking also.
Please some pictures from the installation and the components, when i'm done whit the AP2 Cluster swap then i do this DIY.
So you say, when the turn signal is blinking, then the side marker is off, and when the turn signal is turned off then only the side marker light is on?
weresgyufa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2012, 08:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Been sick for the last 3 days gonna install when I get the chance

Old 03-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series SoCal Division

Rep Power: 16 AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!
AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

I want to do this so bad but I'm not down to cut my fenders and fuck it all up.

1993 civic dx hatch
jdm d15b vtec obd1
web level 1 cam
15g turbo 13 psi
STOLEN!
AJAY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #16 (permalink)

Rep Power: 8 snoboa13 is learning the way of the Dsnoboa13 is learning the way of the D

I did this on my car but I just left on the ground wire and connected the side marker to the running light wire and the signal wire and it works just fine.Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1330832511385.jpg
Views:	3444
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	30467

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-03-2012, 06:50 PM   #17 (permalink)

Rep Power: 8 snoboa13 is learning the way of the Dsnoboa13 is learning the way of the D

https://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=154786

Old 03-03-2012, 07:08 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoboa13 View Post
I did this on my car but I just left on the ground wire and connected the side marker to the running light wire and the signal wire and it works just fine.Attachment 30467

That wouldn't work to my standards. It's like using a ground as a neutral with electrical work it will work but it's not the correct way. This thread is to show another way.

Last edited by NeonPinHead; 03-03-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #19 (permalink)

Well to each his own but I like it. Took me 5 mins to wire and its nice to have the light on the side in the dark helps me see. Just I figured I'd throw in my 2 cents incase someone didn't wanna mess with resistors and all that.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #20 (permalink)
n00b

Good post, definitely going to use this as a reference when I attempt this. If that ever happens...
Catapalana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in