Valve Spring Compressor for $0 - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 06:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....
iTrader Score: 47 reviews
Default Valve Spring Compressor for $0

If you have a sohc head that has the spring up top and easy to get to you can use just about any valve spring compressor with ease. If you have a dohc head the valve springs are deep down and you need an attachment and it can get expensive. I'm not responsible if you get hurt making this or causes damage to anything, okay that takes care of that. Here is a valve spring compressor for $0

-Get an old socket you don't care about, cut a nice slot in it (you can take you time and make it look good, but I didn't care). I used an air cut-off tool, make the opening big enough to get your fingers in. I cut about 200degrees out of it, and about 1/2" vertically. Make sure the socket is big, but small enough to still fit the retainers.

-Next get a C-clamp, I had a few lying around. Put the socket on the retainer, and put the clamp on with the threaded end on top of the head and the fixed end on the valve. Use some rags on the head so you don't scratch it up. Make sure the clamp is on the valve you are taking the spring off. Make sure the opening is facing outward so you can reach in easily. Tighten the clamp until you can get the keepers off. The socket will want to spin and make it hard to stay on the retainer, so hold it with your finger. Then just loosen and that is it, do the same to install. There you go, why pay for something when you can have it for free?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ZCHONDACRX91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2011, 09:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Nice write up man, that would really come in handy if you have a dohc head.
89jdmcrxDOHCzc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 09:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
\/ apply baby lotion here \/

Rep Power: 46 Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 136 reviews

bottom of c-clamp should have a piece of wood or clamped on top of a table...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 11:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Live,love,laugh,be real

Rep Power: 39 4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 20 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pata View Post
bottom of c-clamp should have a piece of wood or clamped on top of a table...
this

pretty clever idea...

R.I.P. my mom - I miss you
10/3/1945-6/16/2007

R.I.P. - MiloReaper & Pat Primmer

96' CE1 Lx - Wags

04' Pilot EXL - Black Pile - Love it

is your friend, try it

[youtube ][ /youtube]

4Door is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2011, 12:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

i just use a o2 sensor socket and a big extension lol. have to have 2 people to make it easier but i did a gsr head this way by myself
Old 12-10-2011, 04:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 12 JBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

I have always found the best tools are the ones that get made as you need them...I've got a great little ex-chisel that is perfect for prying up the staked lip of a Honda axle nut...never use it for anything but that, but it is perfect.

I'd rep you but apparently I've been leg humping you too much already and must now spread the love around. Sorry bout your pant leg.
JBrettHowell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2011, 04:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

EG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the skyEG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the skyEG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the skyEG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the skyEG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the skyEG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the skyEG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 33 reviews

i use my blue-point kit made for honda heads
love it!!

• 1992 CX Hatch
  • H22A4 GT3582R 18PSI
  • 10.81 @ 137mph

REP BACK!
EG6-Jarhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2011, 08:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....

Thanks guys. You can't have the bottom of the clamp on the table it's has to be on the valve or else when you compress the valve will go down with it. I used a bunch of rags to protect it and it was fine. A valve spring isn't much pressure, it's not like you are using a press. The only O2 sensor sockets I have just have a little slot cut into it, but not like this. Yeah whatever you got make it work. I've used it on about 4 or 5 heads with great results. Make tools, don't buy them.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

good idea, probably a more effective solution than the universal spring compressor I bought from Harbor Freight. Even after modification the HF compressor is a joke for such small valves!
RidinDirtyDailyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 02:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidinDirtyDailyDriver View Post
good idea, probably a more effective solution than the universal spring compressor I bought from Harbor Freight. Even after modification the HF compressor is a joke for such small valves!
Yeah I had one of those, they don't work with the DOHC heads worth

Old 12-13-2011, 02:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Nice. I alway use a socket n rubber hammer to get them off. Then back on I use the tool for drum breaks.

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 04:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
endo_bobo

Rep Power: 38 sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via MSN to sir_bobos

Be a man and just play Ping, Fuck.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:13 PM   #13 (permalink)

slowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slowturbocx

You can also glue a heavy duty magnet (to catch the keepers) in it and tap it with a hammer.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 sde780 is almost a somebodysde780 is almost a somebodysde780 is almost a somebodysde780 is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

^my magnet sticks to the socket already, I didn't use glue.
sde780 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 05:21 PM   #15 (permalink)

slowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slowturbocx

Quote:
Originally Posted by sde780 View Post
^my magnet sticks to the socket already, I didn't use glue.
I'm too scared of them coming off inside the head.

TO the OP.
Nice job.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

weld socket to c-clamp. Winnar. (or braze, same difference)

I do have to note though, this may actually work better than my 15$ sears compressor, i could use the same adapter in it and make the work about 10x faster/easier.

Good fabbing in a pinch though.

most of the time for removing keepers i simply use a 19mm socket and a rag with a hammer. Put the head on a peice of cardboard or rubber, then put the rag inside/around the socket and give the retainer a good quick "tap" they should pop right off or atleast jar them loose. If they are really really gummed up you may have to hit it a couple times.

Last edited by cervan; 12-13-2011 at 05:56 PM.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 06:12 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 51 reviews

good idea, or this craftsman for $16.99 I love mine...

NeonPinHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 06:57 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series G0D

patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonPinHead View Post
good idea, or this craftsman for $16.99 I love mine...

They don't work on the DOHC head as the springs are in a deep pocket and the shoulder of the bit that bears on the retainer hits the head casting before the spring compresses enough.

I made something out of waterpipe, but it's fragile. A long series socket or better a long series impact wrench socket and a small magnet on a stick and several varieties of long nose pliers should solve all potential problems.

The clamp also needs to bear directly on the chamber side of the head of the valve in my opinion. A brass dolly shaped to fit a valve head and brazed to the g clamp or to a lever action small cheap valve spring compressor. The cut out socket could be brazed to the other end.

I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

Ignorance may be cured, stupid is forever.

my CRX thread

my intro

patprimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 07:00 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cervan View Post
weld socket to c-clamp. Winnar. (or braze, same difference)

I do have to note though, this may actually work better than my 15$ sears compressor, i could use the same adapter in it and make the work about 10x faster/easier.

Good fabbing in a pinch though.

most of the time for removing keepers i simply use a 19mm socket and a rag with a hammer. Put the head on a peice of cardboard or rubber, then put the rag inside/around the socket and give the retainer a good quick "tap" they should pop right off or atleast jar them loose. If they are really really gummed up you may have to hit it a couple times.
If the socket is welded to the c-clamp it will want to spin as you tighten it down even more. If it's just sitting on there the socket will stay still mostly, also then you don't ruin a good c-clamp. You can do the old socket trick to remove them, but how do you plan to get them on? You will have to make something like I did or buy something.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:17 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series G0D

patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

I find that loose stacks tend to spit out and damage things, like head castings and my fingers.

It is entirely possible to use a cheap valve spring compressor in place of the G clamp, or weld a 1/2" dia round rod to the G clamp and slip the socket over the spike so it spins. Same deal on the valve end. A 1/2" round rod and a 1/2" hole in the dolly, with some clearance of course to allow it to spin freely even under load.

I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

Ignorance may be cured, stupid is forever.

my CRX thread

my intro

patprimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-forum/154570-valve-spring-compressor-%240.html
Posted By For Type Date
Ca18 valve removal [Forum - Main Forum] : Datsun 1200 Club This thread Refback 01-26-2013 06:45 AM
Ca18 valve removal [Forum - Main Forum] : Datsun 1200 Club This thread Refback 01-26-2013 02:47 AM
Ca18 valve removal [Forum - Main Forum] : Datsun 1200 Club This thread Refback 01-26-2013 01:53 AM
Ca18 valve removal [Forum - Main Forum] : Datsun 1200 Club This thread Refback 01-26-2013 12:54 AM
Ca18 valve removal [Forum - Main Forum] : Datsun 1200 Club This thread Refback 01-26-2013 12:08 AM