DIY: Blackhoused headlights(ED6) - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 03:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 95hatchkid  is slowly gaining respect95hatchkid  is slowly gaining respect95hatchkid  is slowly gaining respect95hatchkid  is slowly gaining respect95hatchkid  is slowly gaining respect
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default DIY: Blackhoused headlights(ED6)

Tools you will need:
Ratchet
Extension
12mm deep
10mm deep
Phillips screwdriver
Black BBQ paint

O.k first off I am not responsible for any damage done to you or you car while following this DIY.

In the wheel well there are 2 screw that you need to remove on each side. They need to be removed so the bumper can hang.

Next take out the bumper signals.

There are 2 12mm bolts that will need to be removed per side.

And underneath the car the are 2 10mm bolts hold the bottom part of the bumper.(i don't know if they needed to come out but it's only 2 bolts).

Then the bumper pulls up and out. You do not have to remove the bumper, simply just pull it down so you can get the 10mm socket and extension in to take out the 2 bolts.

Take the small screw out of the turn signals and slide them forward and take them off.

The 2 10mm bolts above the headlight...you got it, they come out too. Unplug your bulbs. Now just twist and and pull out the headlight and it's bracket.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<<---- Soon to be Boosted
95hatchkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2011, 03:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 95hatchkid  is slowly gaining respect95hatchkid  is slowly gaining respect95hatchkid  is slowly gaining respect95hatchkid  is slowly gaining respect95hatchkid  is slowly gaining respect

Bring them the the place you are going to work on them and take of all the brackets and plastics with the screwdriver.

I washed my headlights and brackets in soapy water to get all the grease off before i put them in the oven.

There are 6 clips clamping the lens to the housing. Look at the picture below. That IS NOT how you get the clips off you will chip and crack the lens.

If you notice the lens gets lower beside the clip so slide the clips off don't pop them off.

Preheat the oven between 210-225deg. If you washed your lights make sure they are 100% dry before stickin them in to cook.

About 10min later they should come apart with a butter knife, if not then put them in for longer. Use oven mitts taking them out as they will behot.

Then tape of the back reflector and the smaller reflector sides.

Now take your bbq paint(i used enamel because it's what i had) and apply 5-6 thin coats.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Put the bread in the toaster.

Put the meat on the bread.

Now enjoi your samich and play some MW3.

When the paint is dry you can put them back in the oven to heat the glue back up and stick them together using the slider clamps to hold the lens tight to the housing. I recommend putting some new glue on there too.

And Vwa-la!

I have not installed them yet because it is dark so i will post pictures of them back on the car tomorrow.

Thanks for checking.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pew Pew!

Rep Power: 23 Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Sammo115

Sammich sure turned out good!

Ooo those head lights to. LOL
Sammo115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 04:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

Put some fat on that sammich! (Mayo, cheese, musTURD, if you must, olives, )(#$(*#$ it, even butter for the toast, darnit!)

It doesn't look to bad, but that's not something I would do in a housing of that sort. I am betting you'll notice less useable light output. If not, rock on.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 05:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

I did it to my cb7 and it didn't affect it a whole lot but but they were a little dimmer. still totally drivable.

And i hate everything you just listed off for samiches. I like butter but it's gross when it touches the meat...makes a bad taste. But salt salt is my #1 ingredient in/on everything.

Last edited by 95hatchkid; 12-09-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

hahahahahaha

Ok.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2011, 08:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Here is before:

And after:

Old 12-10-2011, 02:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 20 the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!
the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!

HID's. Problem solved. not much of a difference if you ask me

92 teg ( new project)
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys with d series motors under the hood.

R.I.P Pat PRIMMER! You will be missed.

RIP Paul Walker.
R.I.P. NN4S.
RIP Cali-N00b.
the hoove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2011, 06:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

the pic does not justify it. it is very visible in person.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 14 19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

Actually looks pretty good
1991 Honda Civic Hatchback Si
1998 Honda Civic Sedan EX

19si91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 05:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 sde780 is almost a somebodysde780 is almost a somebodysde780 is almost a somebodysde780 is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by the hoove View Post
HID's. Problem solved. not much of a difference if you ask me
That just makes the problem bigger. You're glaring the heck out of other people with plug-and-play HID kits. If you want good light output, do the proper projector retrofit and it'll be 10x better than your plug and play kits.
sde780 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 06:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

yeah any p&p hid kit looks like shit. and makes your car and you look cheap
Old 12-13-2011, 09:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
formerly allnaturalrex

Rep Power: 22 greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!
greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to greasemonkey89

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Acid_Beaver View Post
It doesn't look to bad, but that's not something I would do in a housing of that sort. I am betting you'll notice less useable light output. If not, rock on.
agreed i like this mod but the ED headlights already have poor light output so i would pass.

OP good write up bro

"Aircooled Enthusiast/ D-Series Fanatic"

Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #2
greasemonkey89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2011, 06:11 PM   #15 (permalink)

I remember trying this a while back....except I didn't know any better to tape off the reflectors lol, I couldn't see anything! Nice work.
CapcomEF9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 01:39 AM   #16 (permalink)
gonzo

Rep Power: 0 crxtra will become famous soon enoughcrxtra will become famous soon enoughcrxtra will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to crxtra

i did the same thing to my bumper marker lights they where amber oem crx turned out nice
crxtra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in