DIY painting valve cover - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2011, 03:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default DIY painting valve cover

Okay, i know theres already a diy on this, but i painted my valve cover and took pictures all along the way. So, i figured i would share it with you guys and maybe this will give you another perspective on the job

I suppose the way to start would be to show what you need. So here is the list:

1.) A socket wrench (I used a 10mm socket i believe)
2.) One can of primer (high temp)
3.) The paint of your choice (mine was rated to 500 F)
4.) A nice porch to lay everything out
5.) Some soap and paper towels
6.) Either painters tape or masking tape
7.) A sharp knife or ideally an exacto knife
8.) Cookie sheet and aluminum foil

Optional:

1.) Sandpaper
2.) Valve cover gasket
3.) RTV hi-temp silicone gasket

So the first step is to pop out your spark plug wires. After, remove the vacuum hose connected to the back left of the cover and unbolt the little metal piece organizing the wires at the front left of the valve cover.

Then, locate all of the bolts. I didnt have a picture of the engine bay before i took the valve cover off so i labeled them below.

There are a few ways that you get the cover off depending on how old your car is. You could try to rock the cover back and forth right until it breaks the seal, or you could get a rubber mallet (or a heavy socket wrench ) and tap around the rim of the valve cover until you can eventually rock it loose.

Once you have taken it off, enjoy the beautiful inner workings of the cam, valve springs and rocker arms. Then place the cover on a surface you dont mind getting a little dirty (i put mine on my friends beer pong table )

Then start going at it with wd 40 until you get ALL of the grease off. You should take the sandpaper and remove the burs from the edges and make it nice and smooth. The end result will look better!

So, once it is nice and sparkly, get your painters tape(or masking tape) and start taping off every hole.

Once you have all the holes taped off, grab an exacto knife and cut around the edges of each hole. You have a little leniency here because part of the edge of each hole will be slightly covered by either a rubber washer or the side of the spark plug wire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Ze Viking 00ex; 12-01-2011 at 06:24 AM.
Ze Viking 00ex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2011, 03:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

I used a really sharp knife

After your all taped up, its time for your first coat of primer! I took my valve cover off the bp table because i like my bp competitions to be LEGIT. lol. Anyway! Place it somewhere open (i put mine on the porch) and give it a nice first coat but I wouldn't go too heavy. Then you need to wait around 10-15 minutes and repeat two to three more times depending on how thick each coat was.

As you can see, i didnt sand off the burs around the edges... im regretting that a little bit.

Okay, so after you finished up the primer, you need to follow the same order as before but with your paint of choice. I chose a darker blue

After the final coat

Important: DO NOT TOUCH, even if you think its dry. It will make you very sad if you get a big fingerprint on there (at least it would make me sad).

So once you finished your final coat of colored paint lol, put down some aluminum foil on a cookie sheet and DELICATELY place the valve cover on it.

This is an important step, baking the valve cover will set the paint and make it look nice.

So to do this, preheat your oven to 250 or 275, then place the cover in with the holes still taped off. I let mine bake for about 50 minutes.

Also, if you living at home with parents, i would advise waiting until they will be gone for a couple hours because it will STINK. Make sure that you open every window and door to get as much ventilation as possible.

Okay, after you baked it, pull it out and let it sit for about 20 to 30 minutes but the time is really up to you. I let mine sit until it was warm to the touch.

Now, once you have let it sit, try picking it up by the bottom and it you can hold it without having to put it down from it being hot, you should be good

Okay, for the re instillation you have a couple options. You could just put the valve cover back on depending on how your gasket looks but if not, put in a nice fresh gasket, then take RTV silicone and apply liberally. No need to skimp out on this because it will only hurt your seal.

Something like this

To put the cover back on might take some wiggling and manipulation but you will get it!

Important: When you bolt it down, make sure you do it a zig-zag pattern so it will squeeze down nicely.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Ze Viking 00ex; 11-30-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Then enjoy your fresh engine bay!

My finished product yes it is the same as my profile pic lol

Old 11-30-2011, 04:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 95hatchkid  is slowly gaining respect95hatchkid  is slowly gaining respect95hatchkid  is slowly gaining respect95hatchkid  is slowly gaining respect95hatchkid  is slowly gaining respect

Nice write up and good paint job. rep for you my friend.

<<---- Soon to be Boosted
95hatchkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2011, 05:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks man, i actually kinda enjoyed writing that lol
Old 12-03-2011, 02:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
VEM
n00b

lulz at living with mom n dad

if you dont want who evers house you live in you could paint it and just install it and the valve cover will get hot enough over time to bake it in

then you can sand off the honda lettering if need be
Old 12-03-2011, 02:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

hotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 30 reviews

I use a single edge razor blade when trimming. Blue "painters tape" works much better than regular ole making tape. And since you live in Fla, just bake the vc in your car on a sunny day or two, instead of stinking up the oven lol How I used to do mine..... I miss S. Fla.

Quote:
Take it from somebody who has actually done it more then once and not read about it on the internet......
hotrodj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2011, 06:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Haha yeah my roomates hated me for an afternoon but i figured if thats how the pros do it, why not do the same! It only stunk the apartment up for an hour or so lol. But this little project was pretty spur of the moment so i didnt really have any painters tape or a single edged razor with me. I actually borrowed my friends masking tape from upstairs
Old 12-09-2011, 12:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

You could get some nice new shint bolts to match the calve cover now. Its kinda looks odd with them old crusty ones in it. But the VC looks awesome

2007 Toyota Matrix XR (1ZZFE 6spd)
2005 Pontiac Vibe GT (2ZZGE 6spd)
1991 Toyota 2WD 400k

You will be missed but not forgotten.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 12:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 13 Didly dane will become famous soon enoughDidly dane will become famous soon enoughDidly dane will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Turned out good.
Last time I painted my vc I used wrinkle black then painted the wrinkle a laguna seca type blue.
If id have baked it it would have been perfect..
Didly dane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2011, 11:26 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerDrinkin View Post
You could get some nice new shint bolts to match the calve cover now. Its kinda looks odd with them old crusty ones in it. But the VC looks awesome
lol yeah i suppose i couldve gotten some newer looking bolts to throw in there
Old 12-16-2011, 11:27 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didly dane View Post
Turned out good.
Last time I painted my vc I used wrinkle black then painted the wrinkle a laguna seca type blue.
If id have baked it it would have been perfect..
Thanks man, yeah that sounds like it would look good. I think the baking process makes it look a bit shinier and once its cured, its really hard to scratch it. I think... lol
Old 12-16-2011, 08:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

UNDERSTIMATED is a Top AussieUNDERSTIMATED is a Top AussieUNDERSTIMATED is a Top AussieUNDERSTIMATED is a Top AussieUNDERSTIMATED is a Top AussieUNDERSTIMATED is a Top AussieUNDERSTIMATED is a Top AussieUNDERSTIMATED is a Top AussieUNDERSTIMATED is a Top AussieUNDERSTIMATED is a Top AussieUNDERSTIMATED is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Nice job man. Very simple very clean.
UNDERSTIMATED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2011, 11:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 11 moff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow up
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze Viking 00ex View Post
Okay, for the re instillation you have a couple options. You could just put the valve cover back on depending on how your gasket looks but if not, put in a nice fresh gasket, then take RTV silicone and apply liberally. No need to skimp out on this because it will only hurt your seal.

Something like this

To put the cover back on might take some wiggling and manipulation but you will get it!

Important: When you bolt it down, make sure you do it a zig-zag pattern so it will squeeze down nicely.
My valve cover has no silicone and it does not leak...

good DIY though.
moff3tt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2011, 01:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 12 grandtheftlunchbox will become famous soon enoughgrandtheftlunchbox will become famous soon enoughgrandtheftlunchbox will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

that looks great man!!! definitely gonna give this thread a look once i paint mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze Viking 00ex View Post
lol yeah i suppose i couldve gotten some newer looking bolts to throw in there
just a suggestion, the D17 valve cover bolts are chrome plated from the factory, used them on my z6 head and they look really nice and fit perfectly.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:40 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 13 Didly dane will become famous soon enoughDidly dane will become famous soon enoughDidly dane will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandtheftlunchbox View Post
that looks great man!!! definitely gonna give this thread a look once i paint mine.

just a suggestion, the D17 valve cover bolts are chrome plated from the factory, used them on my z6 head and they look really nice and fit perfectly.
I really like this info!!!!!!
Didly dane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2011, 03:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 8 ryno_rx8  is accepted as part of the communityryno_rx8  is accepted as part of the communityryno_rx8  is accepted as part of the communityryno_rx8  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Baking it is what seals the deal, makes it look a ton better
ryno_rx8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2012, 08:26 AM   #18 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 HondaGuy8 will become famous soon enoughHondaGuy8 will become famous soon enoughHondaGuy8 will become famous soon enough

what grit sand paper do you recommend using to sand the valve cover?

My Build Thread

1995 EJ1 (Totalled)

1994 EJ1 ( in progress)

HondaGuy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2012, 07:52 AM   #19 (permalink)
n00b

good write up man... i know when i do mine wifey gonna kill me lol
low2earth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2012, 08:07 AM   #20 (permalink)

Looking good!
Honest Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in