DIY tranny pan plug fab - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2011, 11:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan
Default DIY tranny pan plug fab

So i just got finished re-vamping my e4od ford tranny with a hd2 tugger shift kit and when i went to remove the oil pan.. i found that there was no oil pan plug . So i proceeded to try and wiggle it off and get all the fluid to go in one direction... nope it spilled all over the fucking place and pissed me off royally.

So... i made this guide on how to add an oil pan plug with normal every day tools and stuff bought from autozone.

First off,you need to find a good spot on the oil pan that is out of the way of stuff above it such as oil filters, pickup tubes etc. Then you need to find out what kind of metal it is (should be pretty obvious). If its steel this guide will be step by step, if its alluminum you have less options and the potential for leaks are much more likely.

So first find where on the pan your going to put the drain plug, if the pan is rounded on the bottom your going to need to make a flat indention where the plug is going. so take something flat such as a peice of flat iron and make the area semi flat. Next go to autozone and find a plug that suits your needs in the "oil pan plug" section. Some of them have magnetic tips that help collect floating metal. I decided against the magnetic tip since the plug is right next to a large magnet on the bottom of the pan. This is the plug i got, you need a steel nut in all cases, do not buy brass since you cannot weld to it (if your going to weld to it)

Next, its time to bite the big bullet and drill a hole in the pan. Drill the hole so it just barely clears the threads of the oil pan bolt but isnt so large that the gasket wont have a sealing surface.

Now you need to clean up the area real well with either sandpaper or die grinder if you have access to one.

Now tighten the pan plug and nut together with the oil pan bolt on the outside (duh) and the nut on the inside, remember to take the gasket/sealing washer off before doing any welding. Now there are multiple ways to fasten the nut to the inside of the pan. Welding, brazing, soldering and epoxy are the main ones aside from a mechanical seal such as a bulkhead fitting. With a bulkhead fitting you will drill the hole to the diameter of the hollow bolt then tighten it down and be done, however these are known to have problems with backing off and falling out. And with much better solutions such as welding (if using a steel pan) bulkhead fittings are low on the list.

If your welding it, just give it a few tacks on every flat of the nut on the inside making sure you got good penetration of the pan and nut. If your using epoxy you need to clean the entire area VERY well with brake cleaner and use sand paper to scratch up the nut to make sure it adheres correctly.

If your brazing you want to make sure the pan doesnt get too hot since it can warp very easily and weaken if your not carefull same as with soldering as well.

After the nut is secured into the pan let it cool and then remove the plug make sure its not loose, re-clean the area inside and reinstall the sealing washer on the plug. Tada your done, drink a beer and paint it to your hearts desire. Just remember, no matter what way you decide to secure the inner nut you need to make sure that it is secured very well, nothing is worse than going to remove your oil pan bolt only to find that it just spins, since whatever was holding it, broke off.

Last edited by cervan; 09-26-2011 at 11:56 PM.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2011, 11:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!

Also, more pics are coming i just dont have time to post them tonight.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Location: The Birthplace of Hot Rodding, Southern California. Suicide Riverside to be exact.
Rep Power: 20 maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!
maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

There's no drain plug on purpose. They made them that way so people would replace the filters more often.

But yes they come in very handy! I did the same mod on a C4 with the Drain bolt kit from summit, it's under 5 bucks. They also have a weld-free one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
maverick75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 12:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick75 View Post
There's no drain plug on purpose. They made them that way so people would replace the filters more often.

But yes they come in very handy! I did the same mod on a C4 with the Drain bolt kit from summit, it's under 5 bucks. They also have a weld-free one.
Hm never thought of that, but it is a ingenious way of requiring a filter change along with saving money at the same time.

However it still pisses me off. and the whole reason i did this write up was because i didnt have time to wait for it to get mailed to my doorstep. I needed it done by today so i could drive to work in the morning, however ordering the correct threadolette would definitely be nice and a cleaner setup.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

cervan needs to learn the ways of dropping his pans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in