DIY Glovebox Light - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2011, 11:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
TbM
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default DIY Glovebox Light

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor D-Series.org take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim: To set up a glove box light that turns on when i open it and turns off when i close the glove box.
NOTE: This was done on an EK civic(96-00) with no glove box light but the same idea can be used for other cars without lights and also to put in a momentary push switch(SPDT, DPDT or SPST N/C) for those cars where the glovebox light is always on

Required:

8mm ratchet or spanner
Drill
scissors
tape
zip ties
LED's(i used a panel of 30 smd leds)
wire(i used speaker cable)
Momentary push switch(SPDT, DPDT or SPST N/C)

Step 1: Remove
Remove the two 8 mm bolts at the bottem corners of the glove box to remove the glove box.

Reach your hand up behind the cig lighter area on the passengers side to find a plug, Unclip and remove the plug

You can also remove the centre console if your having trouble getting to the plug but its not nessicary.

Step 2: Installation
Wire up the speaker cable to the back of the plug. Black is ground. Yellow is + accesory and Red Is + when headlights are on, i used red so that its only on with my headlights.

You can splice the connection if you want but i just folded the speaker cable and jammed it in the back of the plug
TbM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2011, 11:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 16 leemo559 is hot as a volcanoleemo559 is hot as a volcano
leemo559 is hot as a volcanoleemo559 is hot as a volcanoleemo559 is hot as a volcanoleemo559 is hot as a volcanoleemo559 is hot as a volcanoleemo559 is hot as a volcanoleemo559 is hot as a volcanoleemo559 is hot as a volcanoleemo559 is hot as a volcanoleemo559 is hot as a volcanoleemo559 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

nice write up..didnt give u time to finish my bad...

Last edited by leemo559; 08-24-2011 at 11:10 AM.
leemo559 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2011, 11:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
TbM
n00b

Tape that shit up tight with electrical tape so it cant pull out

Run your speaker cable up to the where you will mount the LED, remember to run the cable past where you want the swtich location. Ive marked mine out with a red line for the wire and a yellow dot for the swtich location.
My setup:

Alternate Config:

Wire in and mount the LED panel to the bottom of the climate control ducting inside the dash. I mounted mine with zip ties and double sided tape as i didnt want to drill into the ducting.

Wire in your switch and tape it up with electrical tape, you need to hook it up in a push to break config if you need help with this post it or pm me and ill tell you how to hook it up.

Drill a hole to mount the switch. i mounted mine up high so its not as visable but you need to remove the lower panel that has the ash tray and cig lighter to do this, if you mount it on the sections highlighted red then you can just drill and mount without removing the panel.

I had to remove the panel to cut and grind out the back area of the panel to fit the switch up high.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
TbM
n00b

when the holes drilled, mount the switch then you just need to put the plug and glove box back in and your done, Now enjoy the smell of burning retinas briefly before you are blinded and crash into a tree whenever someone opens the glove box

Before:

After:

If i have left anything out or anyone needs more info feel free to post and ill updated the guide with more info
Old 08-24-2011, 11:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 29 Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

lol @ before picture
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2011, 11:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 11 4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to 4D2Envy

Nice DIY!!! RHD?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"My Car Isn't Leaking Oil, It's Sweating Horsepower!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
4D2Envy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2011, 11:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
TbM
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemo559 View Post
nice write up..didnt give u time to finish my bad...
All good mate i accidently posted the last part first with the wrong title then had to quickly edit it so it was probably confusing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Tilt View Post
lol @ before picture
Thats actually a pic too, not just a black box lol i tried to get one in the moon light but my camera phone just didnt want to show up anything lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4D2Envy View Post
Nice DIY!!! RHD?
Yeh RHD Im from Australia but it should be basicly the same for LHD just on the opposite side

Last edited by TbM; 08-24-2011 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 dseries16 smells like Boratdseries16 smells like Boratdseries16 smells like Boratdseries16 smells like Boratdseries16 smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

great write up lots of good clear pictures
dseries16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2011, 05:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
wheres my money man!!

Rep Power: 42 sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 143 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sleepingciv Send a message via MSN to sleepingciv Send a message via Yahoo to sleepingciv

lol reminds me of the before flash and with flash pictures lol

nice write up man

sleepingciv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2011, 07:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
TbM
n00b

Thanks guys i hope it helps, if you have any questions feel free to ask and ill answer them as best i can
Old 08-29-2011, 08:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

lkailburn It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

good shit! i like writeups like these. the ones that are DIY mods for a civic, but are standard features on 99% of cars haha.

Repped

-Luke
y7 block, deburred Vitaras/FJT Ibeams, Stg4 P&P y8 head, ported and matched y8 IM, ITR tb, wrx urboTurb, ramhorn, jrc 5" fmic, 450's, 2.5" dp, 3" exhaust, clutch specialties stg2, act 12lb, rebuilt y8 tranny, S300. 221whp/201wtq

2005 Legacy GT

My D16 Build

lkailburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2011, 09:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
TbM
n00b

^^^ Lol yeh i couldnt believe it didnt have a glovebox light when i got it lol, every car i have been in has had one lol, cracked the shits with trying to find stuff in there in the dark so i put a 30 smd led panel in there and now its too bright when you open it

Thanks for the Rep.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:19 AM   #13 (permalink)
Pew Pew!

Rep Power: 23 Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Sammo115

Good shit dude!
Sammo115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2011, 03:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 EF_hatch is learning the way of the DEF_hatch is learning the way of the D

that's nice mod, i'll make samething for glovebox and trunk using led strips!
EF_hatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2011, 03:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 24 reviews

Nice mod man, I agree with luke.. we have to add creature comforts that most other cars come with from the factory lol. Repped

'90 Chevy Suburban - Future daily go-anywhere machine

'90 GMC Suburban - DD, future parts truck for the Chevy
95_EJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2011, 06:48 AM   #16 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

lkailburn It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95_EJ1 View Post
Nice mod man, I agree with luke.. we have to add creature comforts that most other cars come with from the factory lol. Repped
Next should be puddle lights! lol

-Luke
y7 block, deburred Vitaras/FJT Ibeams, Stg4 P&P y8 head, ported and matched y8 IM, ITR tb, wrx urboTurb, ramhorn, jrc 5" fmic, 450's, 2.5" dp, 3" exhaust, clutch specialties stg2, act 12lb, rebuilt y8 tranny, S300. 221whp/201wtq

2005 Legacy GT

My D16 Build

lkailburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2011, 04:23 PM   #17 (permalink)
TbM
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_hatch View Post
that's nice mod, i'll make samething for glovebox and trunk using led strips!
Thanks mate i hope the diy helps Im not familiar with these strips you all are talking about ive mostly used panels but ill have to try and find some strips and try them Heres how i did my EK civic boot light.

Just cut out the internals of the light housing with a scalpel and jammed a 30 smd led panel in there, very bright

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkailburn View Post
Next should be puddle lights! lol

-Luke
Whats a puddle light sorry? Think we might have a different name for it over here in AU or might just be one of those parts ive seen but never learnt the proper name for lol

Thanks 95_EJ1 and Sammo115, hopefuly i can come up with some ideas for new DIY's and add some more to D-series
Old 08-30-2011, 08:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 10 jumpncrash smells like Boratjumpncrash smells like Boratjumpncrash smells like Boratjumpncrash smells like Boratjumpncrash smells like Boratjumpncrash smells like Borat

Nice write up, I've been menign to do both the glove compartment and the trunk on my ek hatch as well
jumpncrash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2011, 05:03 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 EF_hatch is learning the way of the DEF_hatch is learning the way of the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by TbM View Post
Thanks mate i hope the diy helps Im not familiar with these strips you all are talking about ive mostly used panels but ill have to try and find some strips and try them Heres how i did my EK civic boot light.

Just cut out the internals of the light housing with a scalpel and jammed a 30 smd led panel in there, very bright

Whats a puddle light sorry? Think we might have a different name for it over here in AU or might just be one of those parts ive seen but never learnt the proper name for lol

Thanks 95_EJ1 and Sammo115, hopefuly i can come up with some ideas for new DIY's and add some more to D-series
wow, im waiting for 31mm 16SMD led that will fitts in stock bracket..anyway ill use led strip since the oem position isnt soo good for to light everything..can you shoot some pics with those 30 smd leds?

good job!
EF_hatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2011, 07:06 AM   #20 (permalink)
TbM
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_hatch View Post
wow, im waiting for 31mm 16SMD led that will fitts in stock bracket..anyway ill use led strip since the oem position isnt soo good for to light everything..can you shoot some pics with those 30 smd leds?

good job!
Yeh the stock position isnt the best which is why i put such a big panel in there lol, only just fits after cutting out the the inside of the light housing lol. Ill have to try these led strips so i know what they are like but if they are just like a single row of leds it would probably work well if you could hide it on the underside of your parcel tray so it lights up the boot from above

Ill take some pics of mine when ive got a chance but i dont know if i can do before and after pics ill have to see if i still have the old bulb and swap it back in for a good comparison.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in