DIY Ek Civic(96-00) Led Cluster and Climate control conversion - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2011, 10:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
TbM
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default DIY Ek Civic(96-00) Led Cluster and Climate control conversion

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor D-series.org take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Noticed D-Series.org didnt have a proper DIY for the Ek dash and climate control so thought id put up mine from OzHonda incase anyone needed help changing the colour of their Cluster and/or climate control.

Required:
Screwdrivers
Soldering iron
Acetone
Rags
Cotton tips
Resistors 1/2 watt usually 470R-680R (depending on your led choice, Google Led resistor calculator if you dont know how to work it out)
T10, T5 and 3mm Leds

Wedge bulbs:
Ek cluster: 6 T5's and 1 T10(T10 holder can be modified to accept T5 so you can use all the same leds for even lighting)
Climate control: 2 T5's
Ashtray: 1 T5
Automatics have 1 T5 in the shifter surround thing

3mm leds:
Gear indicator in the auto cluster: 7
Climate control: 7
Demistor switch: 2
Hazard switch: 1

Step 1: Removing dash parts
You need to remove all the dash components that you will be working on the Cluster, Climate control, hazard button and rear demister switch.
I have marked out the screw locations on the picture below with a red circle and the 2 panels to be removed with red arrows.

Once you have removed the screws from above, take the 2 panels off to reveal the next set of screws.

Now you can remove the 4 screws and 4 connectors(manual might be 3 connectors) from the cluster and it will come out. Pics below, Screws are marked red, Connectors are yellow.

Now you need to remove the glovebox and both the hazard and demister switches so you can get at the next set of screws marked below. Note The Hazard and Demister swtiches can be removed with a trim removal tool or a flat head screwdriver by levering the outer edge of the switch, I have marked out the position i levered mine out from with yellow arrows. Becareful not to scratch or dent the plastic when using a flathead screwdriver. Heres a video as some people seem to be having trouble getting the hazard/demister switches out. One Handed Ek Demister and Hazard Switch - YouTube

After removing all the screws you can remove the lower panel, when you pull the panel down there is a connector attached so unclip it then remove the panel. Note: you can now change the ashtray light(T5).

Once that panel is gone you will reveal yet more screws and a blue cable(marked with a blue arrow). Note: The Red Arrow is pointing to a screw inside the dash thats at the back of the climate control, If you lay in the foot well and look up into the dash you should see a gold/brass screw going into white plastic, its right near the factory headunit screws. it can be seen in the headunit video at 0:09.One handed EK factory Headunit Removal - YouTube

Unclip the blue section from the holder and Pull the silver wire down. Note the red arrow is the direction you pull the cable down once you have unclipped the holder which has the yellow arrow pointing to it. Video: AC Cable removal - YouTube

Now you can remove the head unit. The standard factory unit has 2 screws on the bottem of the headunit behind the climate control (lye on the floor and look up into the dash behind the climate control) then it has an 2 connectors to unclip and its out,Video One handed EK factory Headunit Removal - YouTube.
If its an aftermarket unit you should know how to remove it.

Once the headunit is out there will be a conector for the clock and 2 for the Climate control then you will be able to remove The whole centre section with the Climate control attached. Once its out there is 2 screws in the back of the centre section that you need to undo to get the Climate control off the centre section.

If you followed the steps properly, your dash will now look destroyed, now for part 2.
TbM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2011, 10:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
TbM
n00b

Step 2 Climate control

Get your Climate control and with a flat head screwdriver remove the buttons from the unit, There is a small hole on the underside of the button that fits a flathead perfectly.

Now remove the 5 screws.

Now use the flat head to leaver up the white clips untill the white section comes loose.

Now you can remove the last 2 screws. Note you can replace the two T5 leds now which are marked with the arrows, These are the leds that backlight the Climate control.

Now you just solder in new 3mm leds, becareful not to make them too long as when you press the vent button it can hit the led and break the connection. Ive marked out the positive side to help but it says it on the other side of the circut board anyway.

Once your done follow the guide backwards to put it back together.

Note: once your done plug in your Climate control and check all the leds are working before you screw it back in, if they arnt just turn the bulb holder or the bulb 180 degrees as leds are polarised, if your soldered leds arnt working check you connections and polarity.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
TbM
n00b

Step 3 Cluster

Undo the 7 clips and remove the clear cover.

Undo the 9 clips and the left T5 bulb holder to remove the black covers.Note switch the T5 leds now.

Now the fronts open flip it round and change out the bulbs for leds(Blue circles) and undo the screws(Red circles) to get your gauges out. Note if you have an auto you will need to undo the clips(yellow circles) to reveal the screws and bulb.

Once you have your gauges grab a light(i used an white led torch but a fluro light would be good) and check if the light comes through white or amber/coloured, if you have a clear/white set of gauges you can skip this step as this is just to remove the Amber/coloured diffuser on the back of the gauges. if the light comes through amber/coloured whip out some acetone, cotton tips and a rag and work on the backside of the dials. Becareful not to get any on the front of the dial or it will peal off, acetone is like plastic paint stripper.

I just did the outer edge of the gauge and left the centre black, i used lots of cotton tips in a quick small back n forth motion dipping in a small bowl of acetone to keep it wet and used the rag to wipe off the excess chunks and to do a final wipe. You can try and do better if you like but this works and you dont need to remove the needles this way.

Repeat with the speedo and fuel/heat gauge. Note the fuel/heat gauge rubs off much easier so i mostly used the rag on that one. Once your happy with the gauges put it all back together by using this guide in reverse.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
TbM
n00b

Step 3 Continued- Automatics only section
Automatic gear indicator

This is for autos only, Skip to part 5 if your manual, if you want to change the colour of the indicator from standard you need to acetone the coloured panel off the indicator panel, ive put a pic below of the piece im talking about.

Once you have removed that get the acetone and cafefully remove the coloured square.

Repeat for all the squares you want to change

Now if you have acetoned the back of your fuel/heat gauge you will end up wil some light leakage so i just used some cut electrical tape to tape the outline of the indicator to stop light getting through, i also hot glued some foil and paper in the cluster(pic 1) to reflect the cluster light back down and away from the selector but this may not be nessicary just thought it would help.

Grab your 3mm leds and resistors out, ive marked out the positive sides. Now pull the old bulb holders off the board, bend the bulb wire straight and remove the old bulb.

Now you need to put the negetive leg(short leg) down one side and wrap it round like the old bulb so it will make a connection then get the positive leg and pierce it through the side of the bulb holder then wire it to one side of the resistor and wrap the other side of the resistior were the stock wire goes, solder them all and put it back together.

Note: once you have put the cluster back together plug in your cluster and check all the leds are working before you screw it back in, if they arnt just turn the bulb holder or the bulb 180 degrees as leds are polarised.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
TbM
n00b

Step 4 Hazard and Rear demister conversion

Grab the little lights out of the switches, The demister has 2 bulbs(The bottem one illuinates the demister picture and the top one lights up when the button is pressed) and the Hazard has 1 bulb that illuminates the Hazard Picture.
Remove the old bulbs by bending the wire straight and pulling the bulb out.

Now grab your led and jam it into the holder, then wrap the Negative leg(shorter leg) around where the old bulb wire went. Note i sanded my leds with a bit of 800 grit to diffuse the light and make them slot in the bulb holders.

Now get your resistior and wire one end on the positive leg(longer leg) of the led and wrap the other end round the bulb holder so you have a circut.

Now solder it and cut any excess wire then your ready to put them back in.

Note: once your done plug in your switches check all the leds are working before you clip them back in, if they arnt just turn the modified bulb holder 180 degrees as leds are polarised.

Finished!
Now if you have followed all the steps properly you will end up with something like this. Dont mind the factory headunit it will be replaced by somthing a bit nicer shortly and ill be working on the amber clock to get it white too.

Before:Sorry for the dodgy pic my phone camera doesnt like taking pics in the dark, looked more amber than this in person.

After:

Ive got it set up so everything its white except the hazard and demistors are red leds and the AC and vent buttons are blue, but you can have any colour once you remove the amber/coloured backing from the gauges if your unfortunate enough to have it.

If there are any questions or if i have missed anything let me know and ill sort it out.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:34 AM   #6 (permalink)

what did you do to your needles to make them glow like that?
usafdad120108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2011, 11:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
TbM
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafdad120108 View Post
what did you do to your needles to make them glow like that?
At the top of my cluster there is 2 T5 bulbs that i replaced with cool white Led's,
These shine down and light up the needles and front of the gauges.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 the425th is fly like an eaglethe425th is fly like an eaglethe425th is fly like an eaglethe425th is fly like an eaglethe425th is fly like an eaglethe425th is fly like an eaglethe425th is fly like an eaglethe425th is fly like an eaglethe425th is fly like an eaglethe425th is fly like an eaglethe425th is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Awesome write up! Rep'd!

And nice EK, lovin the right hand drive.

XBL Gamertag: the425th

Quote:
do i drive with my turbo on or no?
the425th is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2011, 01:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
TbM
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by the425th View Post
Awesome write up! Rep'd!

And nice EK, lovin the right hand drive.
Thanks mate its an Australian Civic thats why its RHD but i figured LHD is basicly the same just on the other side so this may help
Old 08-24-2011, 01:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 EF_hatch is learning the way of the DEF_hatch is learning the way of the D

make led conversion using T5 and doesnt looks like your cluster. i got white led strips .

my ek3 cluster is different like yours, hasnt that black colour in the rear side, it's already clear , not sure if sandpaper a bit..
EF_hatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2011, 01:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
TbM
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_hatch View Post
make led conversion using T5 and doesnt looks like your cluster. i got white led strips .

my ek3 cluster is different like yours, hasnt that black colour in the rear side, it's already clear , not sure if sandpaper a bit..
Sorry i dont understand what your saying?
Old 08-24-2011, 02:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 EF_hatch is learning the way of the DEF_hatch is learning the way of the D

sorry, i means, i did same led conversion to my Ek cluster, it doesnt like your cluster. looks very different, also i tried to use acetone but rear side are clear already instead black like your gauges, i dont know if to sandpaper a bit the rear side of gauges.
EF_hatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2011, 02:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
TbM
n00b

Ah ok what parts are different? you only need to acetone the rear of the gauges if you have a coloured diffuser on there, mine had an amber backing that made the white led amber so i had to acetone it off to get the white leds to shine through.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Nice work. I did the same to mines. Got a write up on here also. And I used an led stripe for the ac control

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. RIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2011, 05:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 dseries16 smells like Boratdseries16 smells like Boratdseries16 smells like Boratdseries16 smells like Boratdseries16 smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

great write up lookin to do this with my car once i get it back on the road again
dseries16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2011, 07:20 AM   #16 (permalink)
TbM
n00b

Thanks guys i hope it helps, if you have any questions feel free to ask and ill answer them as best i can
Old 08-29-2011, 07:29 AM   #17 (permalink)
\/ apply baby lotion here \/

Rep Power: 46 Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 136 reviews

one more reason why automatic is a pain in the ass lol

good LED conversion on the automatic cluster thou

Pata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2011, 07:33 AM   #18 (permalink)
\/ apply baby lotion here \/

Rep Power: 46 Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 136 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by TbM View Post
oh yea, sell me a radio console like that too! You can keep the toes haha!

Pata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2011, 07:45 AM   #19 (permalink)
TbM
n00b

Lol thanks pata ill be changing it to manual once i save up for the engine conversion but i figured i might as well do it on the auto cluster to practice, from what i understand the auto is the same cluster just with the gear selector lights between the fuel/heat gauge so manuals should be basicly the same.

lol that radio is the orignal tape deck that came with the car ive since replaced it with a head unit i used to have in my old car.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:17 AM   #20 (permalink)
Pew Pew!

Rep Power: 23 Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Sammo115

Man. Id love to do this but im to damn lazy -__-" LOL
Sammo115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-forum/151071-diy-ek-civic-96-00-led-cluster-climate-control-conversion.html
Posted By For Type Date
??? ??????? ????????????????? This thread Refback 02-10-2013 06:29 PM
??? ??????? ????????????????? This thread Refback 02-08-2013 05:29 PM
Cara melepas Climate Control Panel This thread Refback 02-05-2013 12:27 AM
Untitled document This thread Refback 02-02-2013 02:57 AM
??? ??????? ????????????????? This thread Refback 01-30-2013 08:33 PM
Garage507.com • Ver Tema - quien sabe hacer esto led-cluster-climate-control-conversion This thread Refback 01-28-2013 01:01 PM
Garage507.com • Ver Tema - quien sabe hacer esto led-cluster-climate-control-conversion This thread Refback 01-22-2013 09:21 PM
??? ??????? ????????????????? This thread Refback 01-17-2013 05:13 PM
??? ??????? ????????????????? This thread Refback 01-17-2013 09:59 AM
??? ??????? ????????????????? This thread Refback 01-16-2013 06:26 PM