DIY rim polishing LS wheels - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2011, 04:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default DIY rim polishing LS wheels

hey guys i new to DS so instead of my first post being some dum ? i figured id share some stuff ive done so ive read a lot of diy polishing threads in many diff forms they all seem the same sanding by hand with 900 different grits till ur hand falls off. This is how i do them, it works for all kinds of thing you want to polish and takes half the time and effort. the initial cost is a lil bit more if u dont have tool and compounds but they last a while so u can easly get ur $ worth so here it goes let me know wut u think, i know there is many was to do this and people have there own methods but i think the best way is to gather as much info as u can and develope ur own style/metheod.

all materials listed is wut i used on the LS wheels some others might not need some of the tappered stuff
tools needed:
die grinder (air or electric, i use electric)
angle die, air powered ( not needed but makes some spots easyer to do)
angle grinder

materials: ( I use bright-works.com great price and awsome CS)
1/2''x1'' sanding rolls 320 grit ( anout 10 per wheel)
Tappered sanding rolls 320 grit ( 1-2 per wheel)
cloth buffing rolls ( holds compounds better then the felt bobs)
buffing wheels 5 ich loose (you can get the wheels at local hardware stores)
buffing wheels 5 inch sewn
white rough ( last step)
tripoli rough ( removes scratches and leaves light polish)
sanding grease ( prolongs life of sanding rolls)
felt tip bobs ( this depends on the wheel so look at the different ones befor buying)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1906.jpg
Views:	3021
Size:	558.3 KB
ID:	28709   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1905.jpg
Views:	1090
Size:	629.6 KB
ID:	28710  
BeeCatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2011, 05:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

to start find a spot on the rims you think is best it veries from rims to rims i started from the cent and worked outwards. with the roll attached to the die grinder and it running apply the grease by simply touching it to it you dont have to apply a ton just a light coat . as you sand the roll will start to change shape keep them DO NOT toss out they will be used to when u need to get into tigher spots. as you sand an area after you applyed the grease to the roll you notice it gets blackish lookin and then after a few secs it will seem as if ur sanding it off just lightly re apply .
I started by sanding each spoke untill all the machinig and casting grooves were gone and i had a nice even sand patter. let mat tool do the work your just there to guide it but make sure u pay attention and have a good grip on it cuz if it gets away from you , youll have a pretty good scratch that will have to be sanded out and that gets a lil difficult. once you have gotten the entire rim sanded to and even patter wipe the remaining grease off with a clean cloth if it all dont come off dont worry the next step will take care of it
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CIMG1907.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	427.1 KB
ID:	28716   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1908.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	433.5 KB
ID:	28717   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1910.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	477.1 KB
ID:	28718   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1914.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	618.2 KB
ID:	28719   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1909.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	508.5 KB
ID:	28720  

Old 08-17-2011, 05:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

once your done with the sanding its time to polish the rim. I used the dewalt angle grinder with a 5 inch sewn buffing wheel for the first step. for this spet you want to use the tripoli rough (redish brown) to apply the rough/compound to the wheel with it on and spinning press it to the bar of rough once the wheel starts to change color youll notice when its on there. start by apply the wheel to the rim and work it around youll start to see the scratches being removed and a slight shine come thru. Try and use the angle grinder to get every spot it will reach get creative but be careful. once you reach the point where the angle grinder will no longer work you move onto the yellow cloth rolls. aqpply the rough to these the same way and use the the same way as you did with the sanding rolls.
with both these steps you want to apply the rough generasly ass it wears off during use
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CIMG1899.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	546.5 KB
ID:	28721   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1922.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	514.7 KB
ID:	28722   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1924.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	487.1 KB
ID:	28723   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1927.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	386.4 KB
ID:	28724   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1929.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	450.5 KB
ID:	28725  

Old 08-17-2011, 05:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

once you have used the tripoli rough to remove all the scratches left from sanding it time for the last step wich is the white rough this will leave a bright chrome/mirror like finish. star by using the angle grinder again but this time with the loose 5 inch buffing wheel . make sure u dont mix the wheels and the rough as it will take away from the effect. load the wheel up with rough like befor and go to town. The wheel will spit out a bunch of fibers at you so gogles is a must. work the wheel section by section untill desiered brightness. The rough is ur friend you cant realy apply to much. try to get as mush of the wheel with this step as u can as the cloth rolls do not get it quite as bright. once you have done wut you could with the angle grinder move onto the rolls again make sure u donot mix the rolls used with tripoli with the white rough as it will dull the polish. I recomend if this is ur first time try to do one rim start to finish so you can get the hang of it and you will figure out a pattern in wich to do the rest of the wheels. this prosses is basicaly the same for anything you want to polish ie. Intake mani's, if you want to shine up ur intercooler pipes just uses the white rough and the loose buffing wheel and it will look beter then new if you have and ? feel free to pm me as i will answer any ? good luck and hope it helped
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CIMG1900.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	588.9 KB
ID:	28726   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1901.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	369.9 KB
ID:	28727   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1920.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	752.4 KB
ID:	28728   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1921.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	506.5 KB
ID:	28729   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1896.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	619.4 KB
ID:	28730  

Old 08-17-2011, 05:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

sry i left out that if the rims are paint as these where any aircraft paint stripper from ur local parts store will do the trick. beware it burns if it gets on the skin so take precations
Old 08-17-2011, 05:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
ministry of mayhem!

Rep Power: 48 eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to eddcartes Send a message via Yahoo to eddcartes

nice!
Evil spirits beautiful naked girl live boobs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
I mess with cars because it's more socially acceptable than a cocaine habit ... although the cocaine would probably be cheaper.
Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #666!
rip emilio gallardo (milo). outstanding father, spouse, friend and member of dso. you will always be missed.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rip, patprimmer. last of the titans.

one thing i've learned from this job is to always keep a pack of cheese for your whine.

my ED6 build thread:

my dyno compe build:

eddcartes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2011, 06:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 redline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

I knew their had go be an easier way props for posting this
redline7500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2011, 10:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

wow! good job, looks great

<---
ckh88ok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2011, 10:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
They call me Awesome!

Rep Power: 38 awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

Excellent work, repped!

Have you checked
today?

Don't get your feelings hurt over some idiot's personal opinion, especially MINE!!!
awebb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2011, 12:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Thanx for the coments ill post a intake mani DIY when I get my new one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in