DIY LED lighting 96-00 civic - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2011, 12:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Default DIY LED lighting 96-00 civic

Whats up d series.
I had some free time so i wanted to brighten up my interior. I never liked the dim white light of stock honda.
So Ive done the LED cluster mod #74 led bulbs. and one #195

Not as bright as i want but i plan on using some led stripes in the future.

So then i moved onto my ac cluster. Did it last night. Sorry no tear down pic as i wasnt planing on making a diy.

I used an led strip.

Ill try to get some tear down pic as i plan on changing the colors of the buttons

Now onto the cruise control lighting. This also apply to the hazard and defrost buttons.

Got the camera out for this one :P

First remove the cruise, hazard or defrost button.

Simply to do. Use a small flat head and stick it in the comer and pry a little bit. It should pop right out. Note on the cruise button you have to remove the air vent.

Once you got the button out. Flip it over and your see 2 small screw looking lights.

Undo screw them. Just twist and they should come out.

Once out your see that the bulb goes through 2 holes and its legs wrap around the plastic part.

Undo those legs. We will be taking the led and doing the same thing.

If your like me you brought some 5mm leds. Well i took my dremel and cut them down to size.

Pop the led legs into the holes on the plastic part. Then twist one leg. Power or ground doesnt matter.

Next your have to solder a resister to one of the legs. and twist the end of the resister around the plastic part.

Should look like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. RIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by xile6; 08-17-2011 at 12:09 PM.
xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2011, 12:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!

Now just pop it back in.

Test it out on the car. Turn your head lights on and see if it lights up. If not take the bulbs out and rotate the plastic part 180* and it should light up now.

Main reason why the factory lights are so dim. Its these damn bulb condoms. They use blue to make white light. and this white one to make a reddish light. Also a green one for the cruise control on light

Well post a full pix of all lights one. Still finishing up the hazard.

I used Red led for hazard. White for defrost light. Red for defrost on light. Blue for cruise light. Green for cruise on light.

Everything came out nice IMO
Cruise control

nice little glow to it. My bulb was blown so dont got anything to compare to but its nice non the less.

Hazard

Nice and bright but doesnt look to much birghter then stock. Probably due to the fact that only a small amount of the hazard is lite.

Defrost

Big differences. Its nice and bright. also the on light looks great

. RIP

Last edited by xile6; 08-17-2011 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

nice i will have to do mine real soon. where did you order your bulbs from?
usafdad120108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 12:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

the cluster bulbs where from ebay i believe you need 4 for the cluster. And 2 for the top lights. But i got 10 #75 for $6 and 2 #194 for $4.

But i plan to use an led strip like the ac cluster because it will give it a better deeper glow

. RIP

Old 08-18-2011, 04:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 EF_hatch is learning the way of the DEF_hatch is learning the way of the D

nice! im doing something similar to mine.

what resistors did you use and what bulbs exactly did you use for this, i means where did you get these

Thanks!
EF_hatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2011, 04:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

@ ef hatch. Those are the factory bulbs. I use leds that I sanded down to replace the bulbs. And I use 470k resistors.

Also I plan on doing my dome lights with led. Just trying to wait till the temp out side drop some since its still about 100* in the garage
Old 09-14-2011, 09:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to KRITIK

gud stuff
KRITIK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 11:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by xile6 View Post
the cluster bulbs where from ebay i believe you need 4 for the cluster. And 2 for the top leds lights. But i got 10 #75 for $6 and 2 #194 for $4.

But i plan to use an led strip like the ac cluster because it will give it a better deeper glow
You have taken a good decision with led lights. As they are ideal for interiors.

Last edited by Billymoore; 01-04-2013 at 06:24 AM.
Billymoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 12:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

thought I should post this link here because it deals with the same topic.

DDM Tuning : Car / Truck / SUV

direct replacement LEDs for a *lot* of applications. I love it!
Old 01-04-2013, 07:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 8 Sleeper Si  is accepted as part of the communitySleeper Si  is accepted as part of the communitySleeper Si  is accepted as part of the communitySleeper Si  is accepted as part of the community

great job! how long does it take?
Sleeper Si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper Si View Post
great job! how long does it take?
The cluster was easy just pop out and pop in. So about 15mins.
The other where different. So maybe 30-40mins.
The switchs are led cut down.
The ac is a led stripe.
I have plans to add a led strip to the cluster just hasnt been a main thin ony list.

But yea if your good and have a good work flow going you can have everything out and back in ,in a little more then an hr.

. RIP

Old 01-04-2013, 08:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
Formally D_Tuned

Rep Power: 19 Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!
Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 13 reviews

FYI guys, most standard 5mm and 3mm leds will be a very narrow angle of illumination without modification to the lens.

Lookup "straw hat" leds, they have a wider angle and will illuminate your things more efficiently I bet.

Also to OP, quarter or half watt resistors like you seem to be using are fairly large and overkill for single led applications. Try instead 1/8th watt resistors, or SMT if you're skilled enough with an iron.

Anyone doing a DIY LED mod should also do your own math when it comes to resistance values, while most common "radioshack" level LEDs will peak out at a mere 20 mA, not all are alike and even color can change ideal values.

Remember, if you always run an led at max capable current, it's lifetime will be shorter.

Last edited by Tw34k; 01-04-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Tw34k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 08:27 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tw34k View Post
FYI guys, most standard 5mm and 3mm leds will be a very narrow angle of illumination without modification to the lens.

Lookup "straw hat" leds, they have a wider angle and will illuminate your things more efficiently I bet.

Also to OP, quarter or half watt resistors like you seem to be using are fairly large and overkill for single led applications. Try instead 1/8th watt resistors, or SMT if you're skilled enough with an iron.
I solder to ic chips. So i have the skills to pay the bills lol. But yea i great at soldering.

But yea i just used what i had on hand. Got over 500leds in different colors and a few 100 resisters.
When i was younger i added leds to everything.
Also got alot of stuff left over from my projects.

. RIP

Old 01-11-2013, 12:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 29 Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by xile6 View Post
I solder to ic chips. So i have the skills to pay the bills lol. But yea i great at soldering
Care to show us said skills?

https://www.d-series.org/forums/showc...your-work.html
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #15 (permalink)

I am thinking about doing this to the del sol!
Neoburge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in