Mini Mod - Vtec Light - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2005, 07:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 Noeladams is a name known to allNoeladams is a name known to allNoeladams is a name known to allNoeladams is a name known to allNoeladams is a name known to allNoeladams is a name known to allNoeladams is a name known to allNoeladams is a name known to allNoeladams is a name known to allNoeladams is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Noeladams
Default Mini Mod - Vtec Light

have been wanting to do this mod for a few months now but havent so it was raining out today so I went to the shack and picked up a few parts. The reason I wanted to do this is you can hardly tell when the VTEC engages on the sohc vtec engine.

Tools Needed:
Soldering Iron
1/4 Drill bit (check your holder before drilling to ensure tight fitment)
Wire Cutters, Phillips Screw driver.

Parts Needed:
Parts from Radio Shack:
Package of 330 OHM resistors Part# 271-1113
5mm LED of your choice, I choose a Blue on Part# 276-311
Roll of 18-gauge wire (solid core part# 278-1223 )
Snap-in LED mount Part# 276-079
Heat Shrink Tubing Part# 278-1627B ( I already had some )
Tap-in clips Part# 64-3052

Notes:
This should work on any vtec motor any year. The pin from the ECU is the only thing that may vary, It should always be Green with a Yellow stripe.

Solider the two wires to the two leads from the LED (the longer of the two leads is the positive lead The shorter lead is the ground.) Solder the resistor in line with the ground wire

Make sure that the wire is long enough to reach from the mounting location to the right side of the passenger seat near where your right foot would be if you were in the passenger seat).

Figure out where you are going to mount your LED and drill a 1/4" hole.
Put one of the snap-in LED mounts into the hole that you made. Next insert the LED from behind, into the snap-in connector (you will feel a little click when it is in all the way). I used my cluster so here is a picture of what I did. I drilled a 5/16 hole in the back of the cluster on the side that has the trip odometer reset on and a 1/4in hole on the cluster bezel see pics below. If you do it this way be very careful not to drill a hole into the ribbon cable.

Run the cable to the ECU location (near the right foot area of the passenger side). Take out the two plastic retainers for the ECU cover and pull off the cover ( it may take some force, but it wont break).
Unplug the two plugs that are closest to you on the bottom of the ECU (there are a total of three plugs, but you don't need to unplug the third). On the furthest plug of the two (the one for my car is Grey), locate the VTEC signal wire (Green with a yellow stripe).

Once you find the VTEC wire, attach the positive lead from the LED to it using one of the tap-in clips. If you look under the glove box in the same side as the ECU, you will see a phillips screw, You can strip off some of the ground lead and attach it to this screw. reattach the ECU plugs and put everything back together and test it out.

Here goes my final product along with a video yes I said video:
Video Link: http://webpages.charter.net/noeladams/newvteclight.MPG
Right Click Save As Please
You may need to install the divx codec to view video.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Noeladams; 01-07-2005 at 12:25 PM.
Noeladams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2005, 06:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Want access???

Rep Power: 1718005 modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 67 reviews
Send a message via AIM to modsHXcivi

nice DIY vtec light ....good shit i like

modsHXcivi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2005, 07:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
jlacoy82

Oh god that is so cool, I'm doing that
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2005, 08:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 443 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ryan89crx Send a message via MSN to ryan89crx

hell ya, nice write-up

[email protected]
Xbox 360 gamertag -
TurboDiesel598

, best bang for your buck!

ryan89crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2005, 12:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 27 EJ1 Freak is the fucking MAN!!!!EJ1 Freak is the fucking MAN!!!!EJ1 Freak is the fucking MAN!!!!EJ1 Freak is the fucking MAN!!!!
EJ1 Freak is the fucking MAN!!!!EJ1 Freak is the fucking MAN!!!!EJ1 Freak is the fucking MAN!!!!EJ1 Freak is the fucking MAN!!!!EJ1 Freak is the fucking MAN!!!!EJ1 Freak is the fucking MAN!!!!EJ1 Freak is the fucking MAN!!!!EJ1 Freak is the fucking MAN!!!!EJ1 Freak is the fucking MAN!!!!EJ1 Freak is the fucking MAN!!!!EJ1 Freak is the fucking MAN!!!!EJ1 Freak is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EJ1 Freak Send a message via MSN to EJ1 Freak Send a message via Yahoo to EJ1 Freak

Definately a great write-up of the whole process! Pics were a great addition!

My Philosophy: "Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy alot of car parts, so that equals happiness"

Quote:
word up! and i love how her purse is just there...screwdriver next to it....
#1 D-Series.Org Honda-girl FTW!!!
EJ1 Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2005, 02:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 Noeladams is a name known to allNoeladams is a name known to allNoeladams is a name known to allNoeladams is a name known to allNoeladams is a name known to allNoeladams is a name known to allNoeladams is a name known to allNoeladams is a name known to allNoeladams is a name known to allNoeladams is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ1 Freak
Definately a great write-up of the whole process! Pics were a great addition!

Thanks

Old 01-04-2005, 11:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Shackle me NOT!!!

flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I agree........very nice.......
flatfourfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2005, 08:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 Rickcrx is almost a somebodyRickcrx is almost a somebodyRickcrx is almost a somebodyRickcrx is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

Nice mod!!!!!
Rickcrx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2005, 08:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcrx
Nice mod!!!!!

thanks!

Old 01-05-2005, 08:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
CR-Vtakin

Rep Power: 48 Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Send a message via AIM to Levi Send a message via MSN to Levi

Noel is always doing a good write up on something he is doing to the car. Props to you.

1996 Acura Integra LS Sedan

Laying Claim To My Own Thread:

1996 Integra Project Car:
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2005, 11:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
Premium Member

Location: In Pennsyltucky about 6 1/2 hours under civic4VW & 2.5hrs above Mods! (The sticks away from people)
Rep Power: 33 Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!
Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Rexinre Send a message via Skype™ to Rexinre

Nice write up bro... Rep for you!

Check out my civic build here -->

Rexinre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2005, 04:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ferio inspired

Rep Power: 31 NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....
NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexinre
Nice write up bro... Rep for you!
i second that, rep for you noob!
90 Civic EX 4dr- turbo D15b (sold)
98 Civic EX 4dr- USDM (99 front) (sold)
92 Accord EX 4dr- ricermobile(sold)
NastyHabitzCRX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2005, 08:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 16 vtece-hatch smells like Boratvtece-hatch smells like Boratvtece-hatch smells like Boratvtece-hatch smells like Boratvtece-hatch smells like Borat
Send a message via AIM to vtece-hatch

damn you really did do a great job on that write up , i read about doing it a while back and my friend was wanting me to do it, said it would take anywhere from 30 minutes to 8 hours...for me it always is the maximum, so i havent done it.

i love this guy ~~~~>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-O
"You can't turn a hoe into a housewife foo!!!!!"
vtece-hatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2005, 08:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 16 vtece-hatch smells like Boratvtece-hatch smells like Boratvtece-hatch smells like Boratvtece-hatch smells like Boratvtece-hatch smells like Borat
Send a message via AIM to vtece-hatch

oh yeah and more rep for you, after you get some more posts you owe me!

i love this guy ~~~~>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-O
"You can't turn a hoe into a housewife foo!!!!!"
vtece-hatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2005, 02:54 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtece-hatch
oh yeah and more rep for you, after you get some more posts you owe me!

lol thanks, I did the whole install in about 15min. Now that doesnt count all the breaks I took either lol.

Old 01-06-2005, 06:33 AM   #16 (permalink)
Premium Member

Location: In Pennsyltucky about 6 1/2 hours under civic4VW & 2.5hrs above Mods! (The sticks away from people)
Rep Power: 33 Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!
Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!

Do you have a picture of the light when it is lit up during vtec? If not can you get one so I can see what it lookes like?

Old 01-06-2005, 10:22 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexinre
Do you have a picture of the light when it is lit up during vtec? If not can you get one so I can see what it lookes like?

if you look at the little clip I have posted here you will see how it looks. If you cant see a picture you need to load divx.

Old 01-06-2005, 10:33 AM   #18 (permalink)
CR-Vtakin

Rep Power: 48 Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Send a message via AIM to Levi Send a message via MSN to Levi

its blue!!!!

1996 Acura Integra LS Sedan

Laying Claim To My Own Thread:

1996 Integra Project Car:
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2005, 11:23 AM   #19 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Overclockmyshyt is learning the way of the DOverclockmyshyt is learning the way of the D

im gonna do this shit today, im printing out the info as i speak, awsome invetion...
Overclockmyshyt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2005, 12:02 PM   #20 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noeladams
if you look at the little clip I have posted here you will see how it looks. If you cant see a picture you need to load divx.
Whats divx and more importantly where do I get it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in