DIY - Ghetto Hydro-Block for CAI - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 10:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 18 Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!
Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Default DIY - Ghetto Hydro-Block for CAI

It's been a rainy summer here. I don't trust having my filter outside the
car with just a couple pieces of plastic as protection. Water easily goes
under the headlight and through those areas. So I was constantly switching
back and forth from short ram to CAI. Hydro-Lock sucks.

Tonight, I came up with a ghetto way for CAI peace of mind. I came across
a metal can and lid in my garage and decided to get to work.

The victim. Large, metal canister -

First thing I did was drill a shit ton of holes in the bottom. Double of
what I have pictured. I was a little spotty on the photographs tonight.
Kept forgetting.

Second was to trace my intake pipe on the lid and then cut -

Third was to drill a hole at the top end of the side of the can
(not pictured). A 10mm bolt slips through the hole and
bolts right on to the frame where the original intake system went.

Fourth was to mock up can, lid, pipe and filter to make sure
everything fit.

After making sure everything fit, it was time to bolt it up to the
car. Here is the mock up with duct tape . Silicone has been
used in place of duct tape to seal between the intake pipe and
hole as well as lid. It's drying right now (again, not pictured) -

Wheel clearance is good, filter is sealed up tight and breathes
well. Win win. And I don't have to worry about water and other
evil getting into my engine. Ghetto? Yes. Functional? Absolutely.
Peace of mind is the key.

If you need a part, hit me up. I'm willing to help out the remaining D-Series soldiers on the cheap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nasty_Canasta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2011, 11:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Not bashing or anything just wondering wouldn't it be easier and better power wise to run it short ram?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Omegax1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2011, 11:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 18 Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!
Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!

The short ram works fine until the engine gets really hot. Then heat soak sets
in and everything suffers.

If you need a part, hit me up. I'm willing to help out the remaining D-Series soldiers on the cheap.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
gonzo

theidealone It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

I used to rock a cheap 2 piece CAI, and pull the extra arm off, and make it short ram when it was raining.

And the only way youre going to hydro lock, is if you fully submerge that filter and it cant pull any air. Then itll pull water. Otherwise, itll be just as bad as the humidity thats already in the air.

My logic says you would need to be going pretty slowly, through a pond, and then floor it.
theidealone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2011, 11:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

I know a dude who hit a pretty big puddle in the rain and suck up some water.
Stalled it...but was able to eventually get it started after a tow home.
It's overkill...but I don't have to worry about it at all...or switch back and
forth...so that makes me happy.

Edit - In fact, I just Googled "hydrolocked" and "puddle" and pulled up a
shit ton of scenarios. Some big, some small and some ankle deep.

Last edited by Nasty_Canasta; 08-03-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 Mayfieldfour is starting to learn the ropesMayfieldfour is starting to learn the ropesMayfieldfour is starting to learn the ropesMayfieldfour is starting to learn the ropesMayfieldfour is starting to learn the ropesMayfieldfour is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

Or you could have just bought the CAI bypass in my FS thread and not looked so MExican. But, this was a cheaper option.

Honestly though, I don't see how that lets in nearly enough air for your motor to breath. That thing would almost have to be made into a screen to let in enough air. I'd be worried the motor isn't breathing enough. But that's just me.

Mayfieldfour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2011, 03:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 21 robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!
robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

those aem bypass break real easy
robscrx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2011, 04:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 swich is starting to learn the ropesswich is starting to learn the ropesswich is starting to learn the ropesswich is starting to learn the ropesswich is starting to learn the ropesswich is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

ok maybe its just me but. isnt the point of putting in a CIA is to get the flow of cold air over the filter. surely this is going to hampper the flow of air over the filter.

swich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2011, 08:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 11 moff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow up

I always thought it would be a good idea to keep the plastic fender liners and bumper liners in place with a CAI to prevent a lot of water from splashing all over it since the filter basically goes where the resonator box used to be. Heck why not just open up a resonator box and stick the filter in that?
moff3tt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2011, 08:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 25 speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 22 reviews

OK, put your big girl panties on.....

This was poorly executed.

You took your nice, free-flowing open air filter and then stuffed it into a can with a dozen holes you chewed through the bottom. Think about this for a minute.

Look at your filter - out of the can.

Look at the holes in the bottom of the can.

How much air do you think your motor is getting now? How much harder is it to acquire that air now?

Duct tape? Really? Hell, some silicone caulk would have been better.

To the guy who said "those AEM valves break all the time". Then replace it. Those bypass valves are a one-time use kind of thing if you ask me. You suck up water once, the bypass does its job and saves your motor, but breaks in the process. $40 worth of cheap insurance.

"A" for initiative and thinking outside of the box.

"D" for execution.

Hope you don't get your feelings hurt, but sometimes honesty is the best course of action in this kind of situation.

|
|
|
speedfoos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2011, 09:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 15 a5hatch is hot as a volcanoa5hatch is hot as a volcano
a5hatch is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

rain wont hydrolock a motor with a CAI under normal street driving and puddles. people have to make bad decisions to hydrolock their motors.

Nice job on improvising with materials though.

377WHP 292Lbs TQ

Quote:
Sir, how the eff do you rebuild oil?
a5hatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2011, 09:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

people spray water into their motor on purpose

whats a little rain gonna do???

i live in vancouver (hellooooo rain fuckin city here) and i run with my filter in my bumper/wheel well. no problems...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Hah.
No feelings hurt here.
And still playing with it. The key for me is to get splash points covered on top of what
the fender liner and shield covers. I cut the bottom out this morning so there's a 360*
guard around the filter.

Aesthetics? What are those? Can't see it with the fender liner on anyway.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 cmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

that wont save your motor from hydrolocking. you need a bypass installed on the high end of your intake. and as far as the aem ones breaking, you just need to support your intake properly and it wont be a problem. I ran one for 3 years, never broke, and I DD/tracked that car.

Quote:
cmgogo for gov. of California
Yeah... i'm THAT awesome
cmgogo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

slowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcano
Send a message via AIM to slowturbocx

I do not understand how the motor can "breathe" properly with those tiny holes compared to the intake tube itself, I would be surprised if you didn't lose tons of power. Very kick-ass for trying to do something yourself, but I think you need to rethink, redesign, and implement a new strategy.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

those who use the AEM bypass. Congrats, you just lost all advantage of the CAI. Might as well go back to stock.

If you are worried about sucking up water there are three choices.

A) Go back to stock you panzy.
B) SRI with an air box to block under hood hot air
C) CAI with fender liners and all splash guards, OEM bumper.

I choose C and never had a problem. A former member here had a CAI with an OPEN front bumper (Invader?) body kit. He shut the motor off and FLOATED his Del Sol across the deep water.....then fired it up when wheels beached on the other side of the RR underpass in Detroit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2011, 05:10 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 11 moff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow up

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
those who use the AEM bypass. Congrats, you just lost all advantage of the CAI. Might as well go back to stock.

If you are worried about sucking up water there are three choices.

A) Go back to stock you panzy.
B) SRI with an air box to block under hood hot air
C) CAI with fender liners and all splash guards, OEM bumper.

I choose C and never had a problem. A former member here had a CAI with an OPEN front bumper (Invader?) body kit. He shut the motor off and FLOATED his Del Sol across the deep water.....then fired it up when wheels beached on the other side of the RR underpass in Detroit.
I have none of the fender liners or splash guards on my car because the previous owner was a hella flush racecar driver. I put an ebay CAI with a spectre air filter on because it was the cheapest option to add an air filter. It started raining some here not terribly heavy but it was pretty wet. I had no trouble.

Is there a difference between dry filters and oiled filters? Wouldn't the oil repel the water and the dry wouldn't because oil is hydrophobic

One more thing if he has a 2.5in diameter pipe for his intake and he drills enough holes in the air box to equal the same area of that 2.5in diameter pipe wouldn't the can be able to flow as much as without it?
moff3tt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2011, 05:29 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series G0D

K2e2vin It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to K2e2vin

Install a snorkel!

1992 Honda Accord LX coupe

K2e2vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2011, 06:41 AM   #19 (permalink)
Will Do Handstands For Pussy!!!

Rep Power: 22 JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!
JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!JDMek is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JDMek

Lol its not THAT big of a deal I have a Cai in my EK n with no fender liners when it rained like hell yesterday it was still fine.......just stick with a Cai before u do all that shit.

JDMek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2011, 08:07 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 11 4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to 4D2Envy

I currently have my DD my 96 coupe with a AEM CAI, I took it off yesterday for the simple fact that after getting it powdercoated it rubs on everything! And until I can make some brackets and what not I will run my whale penis until then.

Back to the subject I live in the Detroit Metro area, past few weeks have been pretty wet, I have driven the EK with NO splash guard or wheel liners, OE style bumper. Not a single hiccup or issue!

"My Car Isn't Leaking Oil, It's Sweating Horsepower!"
4D2Envy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in