Install extended studs. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2011, 10:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Default Install extended studs.

Alright everyone i ordered some blox extended studs for my del sol like a year ago and i finally got around to installing them. Ive only done the back so far im gonna do the front here sometime soon when im not super busy. Ill do a write up on the front when i do them.

Here we go everyone. Buy the way there are a ton of pictures.

Tools-
14mm
12mm
32mm
Flat head screw driver
Floor jack
breaker bar
Sledge hammer
Normal hammer
Towel
2 cinder blocks
Patience and muscles (on sale at Walmart i think)

First-
Park youre car on a flat surface and put chalks on the front wheels and leave youre ebrake off.

Second- Take youre center cap out and off and loosen youre lug nuts while its on the floor before you jack it up.

Third- Jack up youre car and take the wheel off. And bend this out so its all rounded.

Fourth- Put youre wheel back on and tighten you lug nets a little bit.(hand tight) lower the car back down.

Five- Get youre 1/4 inch ratchet and 32 mm socket and breaker bar. Now for the fun part.

And yes i used the bar from my floor back as a breaker bar. Worked very well.

Six- once you have that nut pretty loose. Jack the car back up and take the wheel off again.
97reddelsol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2011, 10:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Seven- Take youre whole brake caliper off.

Eight- Take the 32 mm bolt all the way out and get the washer out to. Dont lose the washer its kind of important.

Nine- Now just pull the rotor off.

Ten- Get youre sledge and knock the old studs out.

Eleven- I used 2 cinder blocks and a towel you can use what ever you want thats just what was in the garage. You can knock the OEM studs out while on the car i didnt want to fuck anything up on the car so i did it this way.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Twelve- Get all studs out and flip it over and start putting youre new extended studs in.

Thirteen- Knock all your new studs in.

Fourteen- Put the rotor back on and put the washer on and then the 32mm bolt tighten down as far as you can until it all starts spinning. And put your brake caliper back on.

Fifteen- Put your wheel and lug nuts on and tighten down as far as you can. Lower your car down and tighten the 32mm nut to 140 ish Foot lbs. And tighten your lug nuts down and put your center cap back in.

And enjoy! If i missed anything or if anything is wrong let me know.
Jayden

Old 07-06-2011, 10:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

JosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 43 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JosA

nice! I want to do this in time

Good write up. I always thought Id have to press out the studs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<---
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<--- For sick a$$ bolts!
JosA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2011, 10:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosA View Post
nice! I want to do this in time

Good write up. I always thought Id have to press out the studs
If you have a press available to you use it. It will be a lot easier to install. But taking the old ones out took like 2 hits from the sledge. My neighbor had has a press but i was to lazy to walk 100 yards. haha
Old 07-06-2011, 10:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Pew Pew!

Rep Power: 23 Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Sammo115

The hell. Your wheel studs stay stuck to your rotor? O_o
Sammo115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2011, 11:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammo115 View Post
Wait a second man what are you are getting at? You just confused me. Not being rude just trying to help explain.
Jayden
Old 07-06-2011, 11:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 11 moff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow up
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97reddelsol View Post

He didn't take the hub/bearing thing off the rotor
moff3tt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2011, 11:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 Ej1civic coupe is almost a somebodyEj1civic coupe is almost a somebodyEj1civic coupe is almost a somebodyEj1civic coupe is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Im just gonna have to give ya some rep for this sir

I orderd some blox extended studs and lugs a while ago and just never got around to doing it, so ya beat me to it, think im just gonna wait till i get my new wheels and do it.
Ej1civic coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

Oh yeah thats just more work you can take the 2 screw out and it should separate off that way. On the fronts you have to do it the way you are thinking. Thanks sir for helping answer his question.
Jayden
Old 07-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 14 Redtapemassacre is starting to learn the ropesRedtapemassacre is starting to learn the ropesRedtapemassacre is starting to learn the ropesRedtapemassacre is starting to learn the ropesRedtapemassacre is starting to learn the ropesRedtapemassacre is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Nice DIY , btw what kind of open ended lugs did you use?
Redtapemassacre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2011, 12:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

lkailburn It's a JDM Star Bitches....

nice, rep. i need to do this on my ek. i thought on the fronts, the wheel bearing doesn't just slide off like that, actually seperates in half or something?

-Luke
y7 block, deburred Vitaras/FJT Ibeams, Stg4 P&P y8 head, ported and matched y8 IM, ITR tb, wrx urboTurb, ramhorn, jrc 5" fmic, 450's, 2.5" dp, 3" exhaust, clutch specialties stg2, act 12lb, rebuilt y8 tranny, S300. 221whp/201wtq

2005 Legacy GT

My D16 Build

lkailburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2011, 12:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 14 19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

i want to do this to my hatch. nice write up plus rep for you!!!!
1991 Honda Civic Hatchback Si
1998 Honda Civic Sedan EX

19si91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2011, 01:13 PM   #14 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

the front ones are a pain omg i remember it now. nvr again unless im replacing the bearing.

nice write up

chagy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2011, 02:40 PM   #15 (permalink)

Rep Power: 22 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HondaDNA

I hope you are using the right lug nuts(p/n 90381-SV1-901) on those OEM wheels?
Also did you notice your inner race came off the bearing when you pulled the hub off?

Besides that nice DIY..

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...
HondaDNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2011, 02:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

this DIY is great, if u only plan to do the rear!

the real work is doing the front. usually u will need to replace the wheel bearing if u do the fronts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2011, 03:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
Pew Pew!

Rep Power: 23 Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Sammo115

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff3tt View Post
He didn't take the hub/bearing thing off the rotor
Oh. I didnt know a hub could just be taken off that easily without a bearing puller. Or maybe its only for Del Sols where its that easy. HRMM.

nonetheless.
Sammo115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2011, 03:26 PM   #18 (permalink)

Rep Power: 22 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to HondaDNA

Quote:
Oh. I didnt know a hub could just be taken off that easily without a bearing puller. Or maybe its only for Del Sols where its that easy. HRMM.

nonetheless.
The rears pull right off if they are in decent shape. If you let one go bad for a little too long the race will weld it self to the spindle. The front are a different story, they need pressed out.

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...
HondaDNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2011, 06:00 PM   #19 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

um, my pops always told me NEVER use a ratchet to removed torqued on nuts/bolts.....ALWAYS use a breaker bar.
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2011, 07:24 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 11 4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to 4D2Envy

Great DIY good pictures! Yes this is just for the rears as the fronts are a major PITA. But nonetheless good DIY thread. Rep for you sir.

"My Car Isn't Leaking Oil, It's Sweating Horsepower!"
4D2Envy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in