CRX Sunroof Rust Repair - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2011, 08:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 10 l337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Default CRX Sunroof Rust Repair

Started fixing the Sunroof.
Start with a sand blaster after you have stripped the sunroof out...

Sandblasted all the rust spots

After that I used a Ball peen hammer to tap down the rusted areas (I only recommend doing this to cars that will never see water again....)

Body filler the slightly indented areas from tapping the holes down...

My choice of tools from Harbor Freight...17"X2" long flat surface for flat results. You can see high points visible with paint color change. 80Grit Paper

Sand Flat again. 80Grit Paper

Sealer and filler primer
Seal bare metal and Body filler. I use 2 different Colors so when I sand I can see more possible visible high spots as the colors are a guide coat to see how much material I am removing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

l337h4l is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2011, 08:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

Rep Power: 10 l337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatness

I also blasted what I could out of the back side through holes and sealed the bare metal on the inside of the frame.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

So why wouldnt you make a dent with a car that would see water again. Its hard to avoid the rain.

I will be doing this to mine eventually

2007 Toyota Matrix XR (1ZZFE 6spd)
2005 Pontiac Vibe GT (2ZZGE 6spd)
1991 Toyota 2WD 400k

You will be missed but not forgotten.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 12:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Proper repair is to cut the rust out and weld in new metal this is a shortcut because I plan on making a mold from the panel for cf Panels.

Even though I sandblasted the rust I could from behind the panel it would eventually rust out again.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 13 flip8419 is learning the way of the Dflip8419 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

^^^ this is true..did the same thing to my prelude sunroof...and now its starting to bubble through again..So now ill fix it right, befor i paint it.
flip8419 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2011, 08:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip8419 View Post
^^^ this is true..did the same thing to my prelude sunroof...and now its starting to bubble through again..So now ill fix it right, befor i paint it.
I can have sheet metal cut to the exact size to replace the top section but its a pain to separate the frame and top panel

Old 07-04-2011, 01:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 monster d is obviously a regularmonster d is obviously a regularmonster d is obviously a regularmonster d is obviously a regularmonster d is obviously a regularmonster d is obviously a regularmonster d is obviously a regularmonster d is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

how long did it take you to do that?

Rust-oleum ftw!
monster d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2011, 04:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 11 moff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow up
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

por15 if you want to inhibit rust.
moff3tt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2011, 05:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 13 baker  is accepted as part of the communitybaker  is accepted as part of the communitybaker  is accepted as part of the communitybaker  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Nice job.
I do wish there was something else affordable in the aftermarket other than CF roof plugs.
['96 Civic Dx: Daily work Beater]
baker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2011, 05:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster d View Post
how long did it take you to do that?

Rust-oleum ftw!
3 hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff3tt View Post
por15 eventually fails after about 5 years I have used it before

Old 07-07-2011, 01:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 12 RolexTM smells like BoratRolexTM smells like BoratRolexTM smells like BoratRolexTM smells like BoratRolexTM smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

if it is available to you, "fertan" is a very good rust stopper/converter

it is used widely here by oldtimer guys. after having applyed it
to your rust you may even wait for up to 6 months with painting
the metal.

have tried lots of (for sure not all) rust stoppers/converters and this one
is by far the best i ever used. (will last forever - at least significant
longer than 5 years )

edit: as a sidenote - por15 is nice stuff BUT you have to apply it mainly to a rust-free ground - and the biggest
dis advantatge is that the outcome is influenced by many factors regarding prep work and even if
trying to get all prep work right the outcome may be not as expected if theres a awkward weather

New: MFactory diff + carbon synchros.

E39 M5 as daily.

Last edited by RolexTM; 07-07-2011 at 02:16 AM.
RolexTM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2011, 04:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 12 JBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagle

I would add a step post sandblast and pre-filler where you coat the piece in Ospho by Skyco in order to convert any rust that remains...with a spray bottle and a few well-placed, small holes, one can get pretty good coverage even on the backside/inside of the panel.

Or probably accomplish the same thing with the stuff from the post above.

This may not eliminate the possibility of the rust eventually coming back, but it will postpone it. Back when my Porsche 914 bug was out of control, this was SOP when cleaning up a tub - Porsche didn't rustproof the panels well prior to 75-76, so you could be guaranteed to find rust on just about every inner cavity that had not received a good coat of paint during assembly (and several panels that had received paint).

Otherwise a very nice DIY.
JBrettHowell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2011, 06:02 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 12 JBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff3tt View Post
If you convert the existing rust first, yes. Putting POR15 over rusted metal (especially just one side of a rusted panel) will hide the rust for a while, but underneath the rust will still be working.

If you can properly coat both sides of the rusted panel, it will last awhile.
JBrettHowell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in