DIY: 3-Stage D15B Vtec control w/ Auto OBD1 ECU - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2011, 07:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 51 reviews
Default DIY: 3-Stage D15B Vtec control w/ Auto OBD1 ECU

What you will need:

Auto P28 ECU Chipped & Converted to 5spd, Or Auto P06 Chipped, converted to 5spd and vtec (Link to DIY ECU Chipping.)
P08 Maps (Attached)
Soldering Iron
Solder
Wire
Extra ECU Pin
Crome & chip burner
SPDT Automotive Relay

ECU Preparation:

Start by removing Q34
With the ECU positioned with the connectors to your left cut the top left leg of IC15
Solder a small piece of wire to the cut leg of IC15
solder the other end of the wire to the furthest right pin of R34

If not present you will need to add:
1uf 35v capacitor to C61
UNR411F or 2SA1654 Transistor to Q17

Relay Wiring:

connect terminal 85 on the Relay to ground
connect terminal 86 to A19 on the ECU (you will have to add this pin)
connect terminal 87a to ignition switched 12volts (can be found on the right side of the engine bay, there's a plug with multiple yellow/black wires, splice into one of them)
connect terminal 30 to the vtec spool valve closest to the oil cap

Crome Preparation:

Open the P08 maps in crome that were attached in this thread.

Select "File" and click "Export Tables"

Save as "P08 Tables"

Open New "P72 Base"

Select "File" and click "Import Tables"

Select the "P08 Tables.ct2" file

Go into the "Options" tab and change the options as shown

THE IAB box will control the first stage vtec solenoid.
Attached Files
File Type: bin P08.bin (32.0 KB, 274 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by NeonPinHead; 06-02-2011 at 06:34 PM.
NeonPinHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2011, 06:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!

revised, guaranteed to work

This is also how you add Positive signal to IAB's for B18C or H22, minus the relay. just ground the IAB solenoid and run the positive to A19.

Last edited by NeonPinHead; 06-02-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Good write up. This will work for people to get there d15b w/cvt converted to 4spd auto right?

This is still way above my head on electronics though.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 07:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

If the iab is to control the first controller shouldn't it be set around 2800rpm?
shrimp-poboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2011, 08:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 10 Finnish_EK_Racer  is slowly gaining respectFinnish_EK_Racer  is slowly gaining respectFinnish_EK_Racer  is slowly gaining respectFinnish_EK_Racer  is slowly gaining respectFinnish_EK_Racer  is slowly gaining respect
iTrader Score: 22 reviews

couldnt i just use a manual p28 and just add the iab on chrome? then theres no reason to jump or solder anything.
Finnish_EK_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerDrinkin View Post
Good write up. This will work for people to get there d15b w/cvt converted to 4spd auto right?

This is still way above my head on electronics though.
nothing to do with transmission, just controlling the extra vtec spool valve on the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimp-poboy View Post
If the iab is to control the first controller shouldn't it be set around 2800rpm?
not sure I didn't change the IAB box, but if it should be set there I will add it to the thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish_EK_Racer View Post
couldnt i just use a manual p28 and just add the iab on chrome? then theres no reason to jump or solder anything.
if it were that easy why would I have listed all this?

Old 06-04-2011, 10:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

buzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

interesting...
why do i want to try this???
repped

00 dx coupe with lowering springs, integra brakes, and boosted d16z6!
Quote:
Also, get the fuck out of my thread, you 5th gen pussy.
J.M. Maclean, deployed 3-29-2013 to Afghanistan.
Returned 9-22-2013.
buzzbomb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2011, 11:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzbomb View Post
interesting...
why do i want to try this???
repped

If you have the d15b 3 stage vtec motor than you need this type of setup, that because its hard to actually find the actual ecu, p2j-003 or p2j-j11, and the automatic ecu's could be a hassle to get running right.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

buzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimp-poboy View Post
If you have the d15b 3 stage vtec motor than you need this type of setup, that because its hard to actually find the actual ecu, p2j-003 or p2j-j11, and the automatic ecu's could be a hassle to get running right.
lol, my question was rhetorical.
what you say is true, but an even better answer is to use obd1 so it can be tuned, opening a universe of possibilities.

00 dx coupe with lowering springs, integra brakes, and boosted d16z6!
Quote:
Also, get the fuck out of my thread, you 5th gen pussy.
J.M. Maclean, deployed 3-29-2013 to Afghanistan.
Returned 9-22-2013.
buzzbomb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2011, 07:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

Man I would so like to use a obd1 ecu to tune and get even better gas mileage.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Formally D_Tuned

Rep Power: 19 Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!
Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 13 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish_EK_Racer View Post
This is the hardware mod to make it actually work when you do that. If the circuit is not setup in the board to output the signal then simply enabling it in the software will do nothing.

What he is showing you how to do is to modify a High side switch that normally controls one of the the solenoids for the auto transmission (Think of it as a relay or Mosfet in small electronics terms) and using it to take place of the circuitry missing for the IAB output.

While most ecus may appear to be the same when you pop the cover, they very much are not.

Last edited by Tw34k; 06-05-2011 at 07:47 PM.
Tw34k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

My next question is what pinouts for the egr valve and what not? This is for people in the future who decide on using this method but retain all uses of sensors on the motor itself.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 CustomY8 is fly like an eagleCustomY8 is fly like an eagleCustomY8 is fly like an eagleCustomY8 is fly like an eagleCustomY8 is fly like an eagleCustomY8 is fly like an eagleCustomY8 is fly like an eagleCustomY8 is fly like an eagleCustomY8 is fly like an eagleCustomY8 is fly like an eagleCustomY8 is fly like an eagleCustomY8 is fly like an eagle

Obd chipped ecu cannot control egr, and furthermore, would make tuning impossible. Egr should be blocked off our switch to a y8 intake. More info as well, I was looking at my spare short block Yesterday and saw that the p2j pistons in the three stage have way less dish then a p2p y8 piston. With that being said,a y8 engine with the same head as a three stage and less cc pistons nets about 10/1 not the advertised 9.6/1 like the y8. theoretically with higher cr and more aggressive cam this engine will need more fuel added to p08 maps to run safely, and quite a few timing changes made as well.
CustomY8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2011, 05:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomY8 View Post
Obd chipped ecu cannot control egr, and furthermore, would make tuning impossible. Egr should be blocked off our switch to a y8 intake. More info as well, I was looking at my spare short block Yesterday and saw that the p2j pistons in the three stage have way less dish then a p2p y8 piston. With that being said,a y8 engine with the same head as a three stage and less cc pistons nets about 10/1 not the advertised 9.6/1 like the y8. theoretically with higher cr and more aggressive cam this engine will need more fuel added to p08 maps to run safely, and quite a few timing changes made as well.
for EGR you could probably use a P07 ECU (Civic VX) and get it to work somehow.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 CustomY8 is fly like an eagleCustomY8 is fly like an eagleCustomY8 is fly like an eagleCustomY8 is fly like an eagleCustomY8 is fly like an eagleCustomY8 is fly like an eagleCustomY8 is fly like an eagleCustomY8 is fly like an eagleCustomY8 is fly like an eagleCustomY8 is fly like an eagleCustomY8 is fly like an eagleCustomY8 is fly like an eagle

So far still haven't seen a p07 that can do the job, last guy that tried couldn't get the wide band working correctly.
CustomY8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2011, 11:42 AM   #16 (permalink)

^ Could you just use a wide band controller and emulate a narrow band to fix it?

shorty_boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in