Did another DIY writeup - headliner - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2011, 01:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

lkailburn It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Default Did another DIY writeup - headliner

How to re-cover your headliner

The old headliner, very dirty, and sagging very badly.

First, start by removing the rear seats, both the backs and the bottom. Sorry for the poor pictures, flash acted up.

Remove the passenger rear lower plastic panel. This is held in place with just stiff plastic clips.

Pop off the plast cover from the passenger seatbelt and unbolt the assembly-14mm.

Now remove the passenger rear upper plastic panel. There are two plastic screws holding it in on the bottom, and the rest is just plastic clips. You will have to fiddle with the rear deck to wiggle out the back tail of this piece.
y7 block, deburred Vitaras/FJT Ibeams, Stg4 P&P y8 head, ported and matched y8 IM, ITR tb, wrx urboTurb, ramhorn, jrc 5" fmic, 450's, 2.5" dp, 3" exhaust, clutch specialties stg2, act 12lb, rebuilt y8 tranny, S300. 221whp/201wtq

2005 Legacy GT

My D16 Build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
lkailburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2011, 01:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Next remove the passenger front upper plastic piece. This is just held in place with stiff plastic clips.

Remove the driver side front upper plastic piece. This is just held in place with stiff plastic clips.

Now removing the remaining interior pieces including the dome light, sun visors, rear view mirror, handles and hangers.

Remove the rear upper plastic trim that hugs the rear glass. This is just held in place with stiff clips.

If you have a sun roof remove the sunroof liner that wraps around the opening.
y7 block, deburred Vitaras/FJT Ibeams, Stg4 P&P y8 head, ported and matched y8 IM, ITR tb, wrx urboTurb, ramhorn, jrc 5" fmic, 450's, 2.5" dp, 3" exhaust, clutch specialties stg2, act 12lb, rebuilt y8 tranny, S300. 221whp/201wtq

2005 Legacy GT

My D16 Build

Old 05-26-2011, 01:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

To remove the liner, lay both front seats all the way flat and carefully lift the headliner and remove it out the passenger side door. Here's the old one, all shabby.

Bare metal roof.

Remove the old fabric and old foam. In my case, the original cardboard was so damaged I pulled one from a junkyard. Make sure it's clean. Layout any old tarp or painters drape on the ground. Now layout your new material(use foam prebacked fabric) and size it up over the headliner board and cut it from the roll. Fold up one half of the headliner back on itself(i layed down clean junk tshirts between the layers of fabric in this step).Using your interior spray adhesive foam spray both the exposed cardboard and the backside of the fabric. Wait 2 minutes for the glue to tack up, the have an assistance help you slowly lay the fabric back down. Use only the heel of your hands or side of your fingers to smooth down the fabric. If you use youre fingertips you push in 'dents' that may or may not release later on. Then slide the tshirts ontop of the fabric you just glued and fold up the other half. The tshirts keep you from overspraying onto the top side of the fabric.
Here's the fabric glued down

Let the fabric rest for a couple of hours then pick it up, and lay the same tshirts down on the floor on the opposite side, then lay the headliner face down so you are looking at the back. Spray the glue all along the edge of the cardboard and exposed back of the fabric. As before wait 2 minutes then start wrapping the material over the back, making sure not to make any creases or folds. Wait a few minutes then use a sharp razor blade to slice off the extra fabric more than an inch.
Now we cut the holes for the little bits. Spray a little bit of glue across the hole making sure to get the back of the fabric and the cardboard, then slice an X in the fabric with the razor blade and pull up the pieces, glueing them to the back of the headliner. I did this for most holes but not all.

I sliced a similar X into the sunroof section, then brought the headliner back out to the car. Install the headliner in exactly the reverse procedure as above. The last step for mine was to stretch up the headliner fabric and secure it in the sunroof opening using the liner and trimming the excess.
Here is the finished product. I went with a foam prebacked grey suede that was very similar to the original headliner fabric color. Next up I need to wrap the sun visors.

congrats you have successfully recovered your headliner. You can now ride around without it looking dirty or sagging.

-Luke

2005 Legacy GT

My D16 Build

Old 05-26-2011, 01:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

This writeup along with a lot of others are available on my website: lukekailburn.com: Honda project info and How-to's

-Luke

2005 Legacy GT

My D16 Build

Old 05-26-2011, 01:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Rep Power: 10 l337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Have you seen the cardboard fix of hot wet towels on card board with weights on top to flatten it back out?

l337h4l is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2011, 01:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Nope haven't heard of that. I would imagine there would be heat and pressure ways of trying to reshape it. In my case, it was actually ripped, torn, and over cut for the sunroof by the installers.

-Luke

2005 Legacy GT

My D16 Build

Old 05-26-2011, 02:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!

Rep Power: 32 T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Nice job shit looks tight and nasty.

DIY's threads never get old!

Hella Flush.....Were waiting!

Xbox gamer tag: THErealTMACK
T-MacK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2011, 02:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

ya man lukes been doin DIY threads for ever!! back when i was a total rookie i was following his write ups.

true OG!!

but why doesnt anyone do their head liner who DOESNT have a sunroof!?! there are these retarded plastic push in anchors that are a total bitch to get out! ive had to cut em on the last two head liners i removed... cant get em out for the life of me without screwing the head liner up...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2011, 04:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

Rep Power: 18 Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!
Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Egwhite

^^^ Just pull it off and glue the tabs back into the headliner.

Thats what i did at least.

Hello noob meet.....Google
Egwhite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2011, 06:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danz View Post
ya man lukes been doin DIY threads for ever!! back when i was a total rookie i was following his write ups.

true OG!!

but why doesnt anyone do their head liner who DOESNT have a sunroof!?! there are these retarded plastic push in anchors that are a total bitch to get out! ive had to cut em on the last two head liners i removed... cant get em out for the life of me without screwing the head liner up...
haha i think that's the first time anyone refered to me as an OG

Rep for everyone EDIT: T-mack i'll rep ya sometime, says i need to spread more love

-Luke

2005 Legacy GT

My D16 Build

Old 05-26-2011, 06:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 WORPsol  is accepted as part of the communityWORPsol  is accepted as part of the communityWORPsol  is accepted as part of the communityWORPsol  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to WORPsol Send a message via Yahoo to WORPsol

Glad I dont have to worry about one of these. I have done a few. Not very hard. Good write up.

As a noob to any forums I always check their DIY to see what else I can come across.

Nitrous is like a hot chick with a STD, You wanna hit it but you know the consequences.
WORPsol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2011, 07:39 AM   #12 (permalink)
Pew Pew!

Rep Power: 23 Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Sammo115

Awesome Luke! Bookmarked =D and rep'd
Sammo115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2011, 01:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

sweey write up man, looks good

This will help me do the one in my truck this summer.

2007 Toyota Matrix XR (1ZZFE 6spd)
2005 Pontiac Vibe GT (2ZZGE 6spd)
1991 Toyota 2WD 400k

You will be missed but not forgotten.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2011, 02:25 AM   #14 (permalink)

Rep Power: 10 l337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkailburn View Post
Nope haven't heard of that. I would imagine there would be heat and pressure ways of trying to reshape it. In my case, it was actually ripped, torn, and over cut for the sunroof by the installers.

-Luke
Yeah for items like spare wheel covers and this trick come from the CRX rear cargo storage box top... if you soak the wood/cardboard down put some hot towels on it and lay it flat with weight on it it will dry flat again

l337h4l is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2011, 04:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 11 4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to 4D2Envy

Awesome write up and I bookmarked your site for the DIY's....I just got some eGay sleeves I need to install.

"My Car Isn't Leaking Oil, It's Sweating Horsepower!"
4D2Envy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2011, 07:36 AM   #16 (permalink)
n00b

Excellent write-up. Gotta do this asap. Did you scrape off the old foam material on the cardboard headliner? Or just spray glue over top of it?
GUnited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2011, 07:48 AM   #17 (permalink)

Nice work! i did this in my hatch i used a hemp plad fabric!!! repp for a good diy!

Kamber Nicole born 7-9-11
jdmgoodness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2011, 07:18 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUnited View Post
Excellent write-up. Gotta do this asap. Did you scrape off the old foam material on the cardboard headliner? Or just spray glue over top of it?
Scrapped off all the old material down to the cardboard. Didn't want to risk having little bumps of foam showing through.

-Luke

2005 Legacy GT

My D16 Build

Old 07-19-2011, 09:14 PM   #19 (permalink)

you could stickerbomb your roof. i did it in my old integra. 3$ at walmart for like 500 stickers. and just pulled my headliner off and had a few friends sit in the car and put stickers on my roof. it look pretty cool and got alot of complements.

2004 nissan altima 3.5 se - DD at least its a 5 spd
r3ub3nbr0wn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2011, 02:12 PM   #20 (permalink)
n00b

Is there a trick for removing all of the foam? Would a wire wheel on a drill be too harsh? I need to do this on a 97 Civic sedan, thanks for the write-up!

: Banned In D.C.
ziptiespec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in