Dome light alternative I put in my EG - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org » D-series Knowledge Factory » DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2011, 09:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Dome light alternative I put in my EG

I hated that there's so little light in my EG so I set out to find an alternative. Last week I pulled an overhead console out of a Caravan for my Cherokee and while looking for the right one I noticed that some Caravans had a small 2-light module that I thought might work so I went back to the salvage yard and grabbed one. I got it, 2 foot well lights for my Cherokee and some hitch wiring for $10. Not bad! The light is configured so that both lights come on when the door opens and when closed, each light can be turned on individually.

When you go, look for 90's Dodge Caravans. Make sure in addition to the black plastic light you get the metal mounting bracket and at least 6 inches of wire along with the connector out of the roof. There are 2 screws to loosen the bracket, then just cut away the headliner surrounding it. Aside from the 2 screws, the bracket just clamps onto the headliner. In the picture below, I have already bent up the 4 tabs that hold the bracket to the headliner.

Here's the light and bracket:

When you trace the lines onto the headliner be sure the bracket is positioned so that the 2 screw holes line up with the roof support. This will ensure your new light will be mounted solidly. If you mess it up it will still work but won't be as solidly mounted.

Clip the connectors off the existing 2 wires and wire in the new 3 wire connector as follows:

Black --> Ground to original dome light mounting hole
Yellow --> Green/red (-) door switch
Pink --> White/red (+)

You can't see it in this pic, but the black wire is grounded under the screw in the original mounting hole. Also, you will need to unmount the connector from the light housing, lift the reflector and pull the wires from under it then put back the reflector. Otherwise the connector sits up too high and the light housing will not snap in place.

I first cut and peeled away the headliner then started cutting the fiber board backer. It took a while with the blade I used but turned out fine.

After cutting away the fiber board, position the bracket and bend over the tabs to clamp it in place. and drill the screw holes

Screw down the bracket, connect the wires, and snap the light in place! Here's how it looks installed.

I love the extra light!
smcdonaldaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2011, 09:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
They call me Awesome!

Rep Power: 38 awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

Cool write-up man!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Have you checked
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
today?

Don't get your feelings hurt over some idiot's personal opinion, especially MINE!!!
awebb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2011, 10:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

thats actually pretty cool, is it alot brighter than the stock shitty civic one?
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 10:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Yeah, you can actually read stuff! What a concept! What were those engineers thinking?
Old 04-26-2011, 10:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 ar151666 is learning the way of the Dar151666 is learning the way of the D

Very nice, I've kinda wanted to do this to get some map lights cuz they're nice when you drop something
Old 04-26-2011, 10:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

Meh, I'd rather have this :

BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2011, 10:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 17 racejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcano
racejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Nice dope scope
racejunke13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2011, 10:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

I looked for one at the salvage yard but no joy... :P
Old 04-26-2011, 12:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 14 19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

nice write up but led bulbs worked fine for me
1991 Honda Civic Hatchback Si
1998 Honda Civic Sedan EX

19si91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2011, 12:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!

Rep Power: 32 T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK92_D16 View Post
Meh, I'd rather have this :

Id rather have this!

JDM big dome light

Or the A-pillar bar map light

Nice write up O.P anything is better then stock, thats worst then holding a match.

Hella Flush.....Were waiting!

Xbox gamer tag: THErealTMACK
T-MacK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2011, 01:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
MuthaFuckaUppa

Rep Power: 17 CripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcano
CripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

I was hoping the write up was about this.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

3 LED puck stick on light using 3M "permanent" two sided tape.....perfect for the courier in me

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2011, 11:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!

Rep Power: 32 T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
3 LED puck stick on light using 3M "permanent" two sided tape.....perfect for the courier in me
Crazy underglow and glowsticks with some scotch tape.....perfect for the ricer in me

Hella Flush.....Were waiting!

Xbox gamer tag: THErealTMACK
T-MacK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2011, 11:37 AM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

I think that's more ghetto than ricer!
Old 04-27-2011, 12:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

These I use for light in the car at night, courier work....

Normal two sided tape will not stay stuck to the CRX headliner.....this will!

Quote:
Scotch® Super Strong Exterior Mounting Tape

An industrial strength weather resistant adhesive which permanently adheres objects to interior and exterior surfaces.

Features:
This conformable double sided tape adheres to textured surfaces such as brick and concrete. - Holds items weighing up to 2.3kg - 25.4mm x 1.51m

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2011, 02:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 20 ddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcano
ddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to ddd4114 Send a message via AIM to ddd4114 Send a message via MSN to ddd4114 Send a message via Yahoo to ddd4114

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcdonaldaz View Post
Are those wire nuts?

Read My Stuff:

ddd4114 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2011, 02:58 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddd4114 View Post
Are those wire nuts?
they look like crimp on wire nuts.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2011, 03:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 20 ddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcano
ddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to ddd4114 Send a message via AIM to ddd4114 Send a message via MSN to ddd4114 Send a message via Yahoo to ddd4114

I guess if they're crimped they might be alright.

Read My Stuff:

ddd4114 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2011, 05:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
n00b

They are crimped, it's too hard to solder up there.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:14 PM   #20 (permalink)
n00b

Very cool, Looks like I found another project to add to the list

Built in due time.

There are two small lines behind the calipers. Take a set of tin snips and cut that hose. Then get going really fast the slam on the brakes to get the rest of the air out
HondaRacR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in