My Fastbrake 11" Rotor upgrade - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 10:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
The Great Weldini

Rep Power: 32 remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....
remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 54 reviews
Send a message via AIM to remoer Send a message via MSN to remoer Send a message via Yahoo to remoer
Thumbs up My Fastbrake 11" Rotor upgrade

well since my 1991 Honda Civic Dx has been down for some upgrades, i decided to upgrade my brakes.

before i start i don't want to hear about Rotational/Unsprung weight issues. this is about how to do the upgrade. if you want to talk about Rotational/Unsprung weight issues start a thread. anyway to the DIY.

let start with the part i bought.

Fastbrake bracket kit: $125
91-93 Acura Integra calipers: $60/pair($44/pair, if you didn't have cores, i didn't)
92-95 VW Corrabo Rotors: $80/set
Axxis brake pad: $45
Stainless Steel Lines: $100/F&R set

here's my Fastbrake kit.

here are the Civic rotor next to the Corrabo rotor

now the Civic on top of the Corrabo.

my Integra caliper next to my Dx cailper.

my Axxis brake pad/s

now this is what my brakes looked prior anything... stock.

so here are the Fastbrake bracket installed. and the if you look the ring which came with the kit is installed.

The suspension should always be faster than the engine - BMW

The term stage was created to make mentally slow ppl feel physically fast.

my DOHC ZC - 133.73whp and 108.48wtq (tuned on a Dynojet)
remoer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2011, 10:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Great Weldini

remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....
Send a message via AIM to remoer Send a message via MSN to remoer Send a message via Yahoo to remoer

so i came into my first problem. the heads of the bolts that came with the kit are very beefie but wouldn't let the brake bracket bolt up. no problem took out my 4" grinder and made a very small mod to the bracket.

now here it is mocked up to see if it worked.

now here is why you need the ring the supply you with. so the rotor dosen't slop around.

and now you're done..

if you must see what it looked with my 15" GS-R rim before the upgrade.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Great Weldini

and after... BAM!

so if you so see some more clearence pics here goes.

my stock, whoa alot of room.

now after the new upgrade.

ok i want to add some other info that you need to know.

First: bumping to a 15/16" master cylinder and brake booster, is perferably best to do. and if i don't like the peddel feel i will go to a 1" MC/BB.

Second: swapping your proportion valve is not need. i stood with my stock proporting valve, due to what was explain to me by Fastbrake. i have 40/35 which is a Prelude with rear drum, since i kept my drums(i didn't installed). and i also had a 40/40 proporting valve which i didn't want to swap since i don't have rear disc. what was explain by Fastbrake was he's done alot of R&D and test on the proportion valves on the track and nothing significate came from all the proportion valve.

Finally: I swaped my OEM brake lines to stainless steel brake lines. now there's alot of debate on OEM vs SS. i'm not here to say whats right or wrong but more of a perfrence. but know this if you get SS lines you must keep an eye on them. on like regular OEM lines, SS act different and season weather do put alot more strain on them, than OEM.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!

Rep Power: 32 T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Fucking right!
Nice upgrade Remer im sure you'll love the extra meat.

Now we just need to get you some stickier tires?

By the way you know thats going to give you extra unsprung weight.........lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hella Flush.....Were waiting!

Xbox gamer tag: THErealTMACK
T-MacK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 10:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Pew Pew!

Rep Power: 23 Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Sammo115

Good job! I want me some 11" rotors to =P
Sammo115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 14 19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

nice writeup wouldnt mind doing this.
1991 Honda Civic Hatchback Si
1998 Honda Civic Sedan EX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

19si91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 10:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
The Great Weldini

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-MacK View Post
Fucking right!
Nice upgrade Remer im sure you'll love the extra meat.

Now we just need to get you some stickier tires?

By the way you know thats going to give you extra unsprung weight.........lol.
only you Trev. lol. yeah i was at Clemson college this weekend checking out some autoxing and decided to keep going with my work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammo115 View Post
Good job! I want me some 11" rotors to =P
lol. so did i but if you must know how long i wanted to do this? i bought my brake pads used from Danny(latapx) on here on Dec/2009. lol. and he ran them one season
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19si91 View Post
nice writeup wouldnt mind doing this.
thanks.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Pew Pew!

Rep Power: 23 Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Sammo115

Damn son! 09?! basically 2010. LOL Gebus. You slacker. LMAO.
Sammo115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!

Rep Power: 32 T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by remoer View Post
only you Trev. lol. yeah i was at Clemson college this weekend checking out some autoxing and decided to keep going with my work.

lol. so did i but if you must know how long i wanted to do this? i bought my brake pads used from Danny(latapx) on here on Dec/2009. lol. and he ran them one season
Lol.

Nice by the way, with your set-up the car will be driving on rails.

Your going to love this upgrade when you put in some lapping and your brakes are still holding up 20mins later.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
The Great Weldini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammo115 View Post
Damn son! 09?! basically 2010. LOL Gebus. You slacker. LMAO.
lol. no he ran it in 2008. lol.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:32 AM   #11 (permalink)
The Great Weldini

Quote:
Lol.

Nice by the way, with your set-up the car will be driving on rails.

Your going to love this upgrade when you put in some lapping and your brakes are still holding up 20mins later.
i know, i can't wait till get some mountain runs in too. i'm still on the fence about the 1" MC/BB. but i still have a bit more to do. like retuning.

i spoke with Wil @ Exospeed about trying to extract power out of my cam. before i go to the Stage 4 cam.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:44 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

Quote:
...By the way you know thats going to give you extra unsprung weight.........lol.

I think somebody on OCO mentioned that as well...

snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 11:22 AM   #13 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....
iTrader Score: 47 reviews

Were you able to buy just the brackets? On their website it has the rotors and bracket kit, not separate. Also do you think the stock brake lines would work? Thanks, you made it look so easy now I want them.
ZCHONDACRX91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 11:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 15 Wischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcano
Wischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

Nice upgrade! What a massive improvement over the OEM brakes.

Keep up updated on how they feel!

Are you still able to fit 14's over those brakes?

Quote:
I mess with cars because it's more socially acceptable than a cocaine habit ... although the cocaine would probably be cheaper.
Wischmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 11:59 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 SlowCivicEF will become famous soon enoughSlowCivicEF will become famous soon enoughSlowCivicEF will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

nice work, looks beefy!!
SlowCivicEF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 12:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 14 19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wischmaster View Post
Nice upgrade! What a massive improvement over the OEM brakes.

Keep up updated on how they feel!

i would like to know this as well
1991 Honda Civic Hatchback Si
1998 Honda Civic Sedan EX

19si91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 12:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by remoer View Post
i know, i can't wait till get some mountain runs in too. i'm still on the fence about the 1" MC/BB. but i still have a bit more to do. like retuning.

i spoke with Wil @ Exospeed about trying to extract power out of my cam. before i go to the Stage 4 cam.
Nice buddy!
You need to come t Canada for a road trip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snm95ls View Post
I think somebody on OCO mentioned that as well...
Lol.
Theres always somebody chirping the big brake upgrade?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCHONDACRX91 View Post
Also do you think the stock brake lines would work?
Stock brake lines worked fine for my buddy when we installed them. All though switching to steel braided lines would'nt be a bad idea either while your doing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wischmaster View Post
15" minimum.

Last edited by T-MacK; 04-04-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:18 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

Quote:
Lol.
Theres always somebody chirping the big brake upgrade?
Chirping?

Eh, I enjoyed mine, but I know all too well how they do not one single bit of good when you don't have the tires to keep up with the braking power.

The unsprung mass thing is just me being semi anal retentive about things. I skimmed over the post and didn't read the first line. What can I say, pictures make me happy, and I sometimes forget about the supporting text.

snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 12:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snm95ls View Post
Chirping?

Eh, I enjoyed mine, but I know all too well how they do not one single bit of good when you don't have the tires to keep up with the braking power.
I know for a fact with sloopy tires they teand to lock up very quicly on the street and DD'ing them. But im sure Remer will be all right!

Old 04-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #20 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 15 a5hatch is hot as a volcanoa5hatch is hot as a volcano
a5hatch is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Looks good man! Good economical way to upgrade the brakes!

377WHP 292Lbs TQ

Quote:
Sir, how the eff do you rebuild oil?
a5hatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in