How To: Tuck the driver's side harness for EG/EJ - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2011, 06:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs up How To: Tuck the driver's side harness for EG/EJ

First and foremost this is the way I tucked my driver's side harness. It is not the only way to do it, just one way. Remember, just be creative and take your time! I did not plan on making a how-to on this I just happened to take quite a few pics so I can look back at if I needed to for any reason and decided this might be helpful for someone else...

Materials/Tools
*Soldering Iron
*60/40 Rosin-core Solder (.062" diam.)
*Heat Shrink Tubing (1/8" + 3/16")
*Heat Gun
*Electrical Tape
*Wire Stripper
*Picking Tool/Micro-tip Screwdriver
*Wire Clothes-hanger

This was my starting point:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.) Remove driver's-side side skirt, fender, front bumper, windshield wipers and windshield wiper cowl (sorry I have no pics of this process). Here is what you end up with:

2.) Unplug/remove harness from the engine bay. Then, pull it through to the inside of the car.

Note: Do not cut/rip the rubber grommet where the harness enters the cabin because you will be re-using it.

3.) Here is the harness pulled out of the car:

Notice how there are two plugs at the end of it (one brown, one grey)? Well, after you completely unwrap the harness you can separate it into two separate harnesses; one harness for each plug. Here is a pic of the grey plug's harness after it has been separated/wrapped. This harness is for the three big plugs inside the bay mounted to the shock tower and it was pulled in (tucked) completely inside of the car. The brown plug's harness has all the wires for the headlights/corners, cruise control/sidemarkers if apl., windshield squirters + wiper motor.

After tucking the harness pictured above, I re-connected it inside and re-used the rubber grommet to seal it up. Note: I cut a slit at the bottom of the rubber grommet and shaved off a piece of it in order for the "now-larger" harness to fit through it.
crazybeanery0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2011, 06:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

4.) Now, you should be left with only the brown plug's harness (headlight harness). This is when you have to decide what wires you want to keep. For example, I removed the wires for my windshield squirters, brake master cylinder cap and extra wire for fog lights (I have a DX model so mine does not come with cruise control). After having all of this figured out, I pulled my harness through a hole beside where the hood cable runs through. It was covered by a plastic plug but I cut the center part of it out and ran my harness through it and pressed it back in. I also tucked/pulled my hood latch cable through the fender. Next I taped it all up. The taped up wires on the left are for the wiper motor and the wires on the right are for everything else. You will find out that the headlight wires (red/yellow) are extra long and will need to be shortened in a later step...

Note: The reason I took off my front bumper was because I had problems with the hood closing all the way after tucking my hood cable. To fix this, I had to remove the first plastic clip that follows right after the hood latch. I did not take a pic of this but it would be around this general area:

Removing this first plastic clip will relieve some of the tension in the cable and allow the hood latch to function properly.

5.) Tuck the wiper motor wires. I would have liked to de-pin the wires from the plug but it was being stubborn so I ended up cutting off the plug and soldering the wires after I had ran them through the fender.

To "tuck" the wiper motor wires I simply reached my finger down from the inside of the bay inside the cowl while stuffing the wires through the fender and pulled them through once I felt them. It's a pain... but you'll get it.

6.) Pull the harness through the fender. I cut a wire hanger and used it to aid me in pulling it through:

7.) Plug in everything and decide how much of the wire excess you want to cut. Then, you prep it all up for soldering. (Note: remember to slide your heat shrink tubing in over the wires before you solder them together!) I used the 1/8" heat shrink tubing to cover single wires attached to each other and the 3/16" tubing to cover two wires together after they each have been soldered/heat shrunk.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

8.) Tape and Loom. Looking back at these pics I really wish I would've extended that ground wire (for the headlights) and taped it up with the rest of the harness to have it come out with/beside the other two ground wires:

9.)Finished product:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Here are some links that I found helpful while doing this:

Civic EG :: View topic - Engine Bay Wire Tuck
http://honda-tech.com/showthre...ge=10

Old 03-20-2011, 07:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 11 Dc5itracer is learning the way of the DDc5itracer is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Dc5itracer

Nice work
Dc5itracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2011, 08:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 n4arush will become famous soon enoughn4arush will become famous soon enoughn4arush will become famous soon enough

thas hella clean.props. ill probably never do this because im lazy.but cant deny it looks MAD CLEAN YO!
n4arush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2011, 11:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 shadhman is approaching greatnessshadhman is approaching greatnessshadhman is approaching greatnessshadhman is approaching greatnessshadhman is approaching greatnessshadhman is approaching greatnessshadhman is approaching greatnessshadhman is approaching greatnessshadhman is approaching greatnessshadhman is approaching greatnessshadhman is approaching greatnessshadhman is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

nice! I personally have no desire to tuck but if i did I would use this thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

D16a6
Bullseye .50 .55a/r
21psi on 90octane(Meth fed)
My Completed Sol Build(not so completed anymore):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Song of the Week: MC Rise- This is Life
shadhman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2011, 11:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 d16y8guy is learning the way of the Dd16y8guy is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

nice job
d16y8guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2011, 03:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 92hatchy is learning the way of the D92hatchy is learning the way of the D

great write up. i just started my tuck and shave. i dont have a camera or i would take pics.
92hatchy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2011, 05:02 AM   #9 (permalink)

Writeup on passenger side please? Very detailed compared to others I've seen. I was going to tackle this next week.
LiftoffOversteer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2011, 05:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Mad! gonna do this pretty damn soon, goodstuff

Jamaica's Automotive Magazine
Like on FB >

youtube:
Von_clutch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2011, 10:49 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 WORPsol  is accepted as part of the communityWORPsol  is accepted as part of the communityWORPsol  is accepted as part of the communityWORPsol  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to WORPsol Send a message via Yahoo to WORPsol

Using his pics as reference.

When I did mine I cut a hole in the metal between where he put his wires in and where the round hole is to the left. Also on the inside the engine bay. My PS delete reservoir sit right over where the wires go in at and you cant see them.

Here is his pis of the engine bay side. I just turned mine the opposite direction and to run the wires out the hole.

Still have to cut the tape off the harness to get the wires for the engine and re-tape.

After the I cut where the wires come out back about 2". Right where it starts to taper down to a point.

I didnt have to cut any wires, solder or pin anything that way the entire harness would pull threw and was still the right length.

I will just weld a small piece of metal back over the opening so stuff dont get in there from the fender area.

I will get some pics of what and how I did mine later on to show exactly what I am talking about.

Nitrous is like a hot chick with a STD, You wanna hit it but you know the consequences.

Last edited by WORPsol; 03-21-2011 at 10:55 AM.
WORPsol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2011, 11:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Location: The Birthplace of Hot Rodding, Southern California. Suicide Riverside to be exact.
Rep Power: 20 maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!
maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Rep for the Chavo del 8 avatar.

maverick75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2011, 03:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 10 1camLOVE is a name known to all1camLOVE is a name known to all1camLOVE is a name known to all1camLOVE is a name known to all1camLOVE is a name known to all1camLOVE is a name known to all1camLOVE is a name known to all1camLOVE is a name known to all1camLOVE is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Awesome write up. The guy I boughtmy car from was trying to do this, nhe deleted alot of stuff for a full wire tuck. Im def going to give this a try.

Yours looks very clean, you just need to fill those holes lol

1camLOVE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2011, 06:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 b18ctrb will become famous soon enoughb18ctrb will become famous soon enoughb18ctrb will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 36 reviews

very nice
b18ctrb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2011, 06:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadhman View Post
nice! I personally have no desire to tuck but if i did I would use this thread.
Thanks man! I'm glad you all like it. That's the main reason I made it; to help out other Honda enthusiast like myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftoffOversteer View Post
Writeup on passenger side please? Very detailed compared to others I've seen. I was going to tackle this next week.
Sorry, I have not/did not do a write-up for the passenger's side because I have not tucked it yet. I simply just unclipped the harness from the engine bay and zip-tied it along with the a/c stuff by the intake. Also removed the brackets holding the large grey clips from the harness and zip-tied those down as well. Black zip-ties are a must!

I've done a few things under my hood since I've made this thread. Here is a recent pic, as in I just went outside and took it for ya'll :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick75 View Post
Rep for the Chavo del 8 avatar.
A guevo! It goes with the name... crazy beaner y0!
Old 03-27-2011, 06:17 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 21 robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!
robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

looks clean good job
robscrx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2011, 06:27 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

christopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the skychristopher_davis is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 23 reviews

Great Job!

This is sticky material

christopher_davis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2011, 09:58 AM   #18 (permalink)
It's that time again

Rep Power: 31 EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 55 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EJ1 SCRAPPIN

makes me wanna do this.....maybe if i ever get a chance for down time

EJ1 SCRAPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2011, 10:01 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 45 99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 32 reviews

^please, your too lazy to even swap your bad engine harness for your good one..... that you have had for the last year+

but back on topic... thats a nice bay. good job on the tuck.

99EJ6T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2011, 10:05 AM   #20 (permalink)
wheres my money man!!

Rep Power: 42 sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 143 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sleepingciv Send a message via MSN to sleepingciv Send a message via Yahoo to sleepingciv

think im gonna do this on my 95 and pass side maybe we can combine them in one thread

sleepingciv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
wire tuck engine harness

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in