Diy hot tank ;) - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org » D-series Knowledge Factory » DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2011, 02:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Diy hot tank ;)

ok so i figured a way to hot tank your parts without destroying anything

ok so we tested it out on acouple junk blocks first 2 cracked d15b7s and 1 fried 4g63t block and also did the b7 girdles. heres the video sorry for all the non sense b.s we talk about as of now i upgraded to a 55 gallon barrel which is working wonders and provin to move the process faster.

what you need

the part you want hot tanked
55 gallon barrel is what i recommend or we started off with a big tote and some chicken wire..

battery charger

big box of alpine fresh baking soda

what you do is hook the POS charger to the metal on the outside
hook the Negitive to a piece to the block i usually use a bolt to the trans.

pour 1 cups of alpine fresh baking soda for tote or 2 1/2 on 55 gallon barrel

i let my block sit for a total of 12hrs but will start to see effect immediately..

what it does is draw a negative to the metal on the outside and the positive pulls the rust/grease/grim/dirt off. you will see the process take effect right away all grease and ect. will start to pull to the metal.

BEFORE REMOVING YOUR PARTS UNPLUG YOUR BATTERY CHARGER AND REMOVE THE CABLES! AND REMEMBER WHILE ITS PLUGGED IN DONT LET THE PART HIT THE WALL ON THE OUTSIDE OF METAL WHILE POSITIVE IS HOOKED TO YOUR PART

after done you just take a cloth rag to your part or brush and all grim will come right off. thanks for looking

take a look of a video we made

Last edited by boostinSI; 03-28-2011 at 12:46 AM.
boostinSI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2011, 03:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
formerly allnaturalrex

Rep Power: 22 greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!
greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to greasemonkey89

genius!!!

"Aircooled Enthusiast/ D-Series Fanatic"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #2
greasemonkey89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2011, 03:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 14 19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

Awesome! great vid too + rep for you
1991 Honda Civic Hatchback Si
1998 Honda Civic Sedan EX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

19si91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 03:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasemonkey89 View Post
genius!!!
thanks man we played around for awhile with other products. this worked the best thought i would share this cheap trick share with my fellow honda/dsm guys
Old 03-19-2011, 03:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19si91 View Post
Awesome! great vid too + rep for you
thank you sir
Old 03-19-2011, 03:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 EG-MIKE smells like BoratEG-MIKE smells like BoratEG-MIKE smells like BoratEG-MIKE smells like BoratEG-MIKE smells like BoratEG-MIKE smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EG-MIKE

this is pretty interesting.

what kind of battery charger do you use, is it a 6 or 12 volt and what amperage did you have it set at ?

EG-MIKE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2011, 03:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by EG-MIKE View Post
this is pretty interesting.

what kind of battery charger do you use, is it a 6 or 12 volt and what amperage did you have it set at ?
we tryed 3 different battery chargers all worked fine on 12 volts and 10 amps
Old 03-19-2011, 04:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

electrolysis at work. not only does it cause the grime/grease to go to the negatively charged body but it also causes parts from EVERYWHERE to move, such as cylinder sleeves, main bores, rods, all that good stuff you want to keep untouched when cleaning.

None the less, cool.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2011, 04:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 EG-MIKE smells like BoratEG-MIKE smells like BoratEG-MIKE smells like BoratEG-MIKE smells like BoratEG-MIKE smells like BoratEG-MIKE smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EG-MIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cervan View Post
electrolysis at work. not only does it cause the grime/grease to go to the negatively charged body but it also causes parts from EVERYWHERE to move, such as cylinder sleeves, main bores, rods, all that good stuff you want to keep untouched when cleaning.

None the less, cool.
wait a minute, it causes them to move like in a bad way ? if thats the case i'd rather just try my steam cleaner lol

EG-MIKE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2011, 06:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Would this work for aluminum too? What about hardware in a wire mesh basket?
Delsol_d15b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2011, 01:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

i put 1 motor together and its running after this so it was fine. and i used some chicken wire from menards its 15 bucks for a big roll
Old 03-19-2011, 01:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Location: The Birthplace of Hot Rodding, Southern California. Suicide Riverside to be exact.
Rep Power: 20 maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!
maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Hot Rodders have been doing this for years. Rep for bringing the idea to the import world.

maverick75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2011, 06:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 17 racejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcano
racejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick75 View Post
Hot Rodders have been doing this for years. Rep for bringing the idea to the import world.
X2 I have seen this trick work wonders on aluminum and steel. I was told that you can't do copper or brass in that though. I haven't tried it myself but deffinately a good diy
racejunke13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2011, 08:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

I just wonder how much of this is the result of the electrolysis and how much is due to soaking in baking soda for 12hrs?
13g-crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2011, 09:14 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series G0D

K2e2vin It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to K2e2vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cervan View Post
electrolysis at work.

I use it just for rust, and use sodium carbonate instead of baking soda(which is sodium bicarbonate); you can get them from pool supply stores. I also use rebar(instead of wire) and an old PSU instead of a battery charger.

FYI: this is not the same thing as "hot tanking".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2519.JPG
Views:	8008
Size:	481.4 KB
ID:	27251  
1992 Honda Accord LX coupe

Last edited by K2e2vin; 03-21-2011 at 09:21 AM.
K2e2vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 10 Finnish_EK_Racer  is slowly gaining respectFinnish_EK_Racer  is slowly gaining respectFinnish_EK_Racer  is slowly gaining respectFinnish_EK_Racer  is slowly gaining respectFinnish_EK_Racer  is slowly gaining respect
iTrader Score: 22 reviews

thats whats up! lolol
why didnt you pull off the knock sensor out of the first motor in the tank?
Finnish_EK_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2011, 10:37 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 WORPsol  is accepted as part of the communityWORPsol  is accepted as part of the communityWORPsol  is accepted as part of the communityWORPsol  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to WORPsol Send a message via Yahoo to WORPsol

Good idea but I used oven cleaner and did alot less scrubbing and only took 30 min.

Nitrous is like a hot chick with a STD, You wanna hit it but you know the consequences.
WORPsol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2011, 10:42 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 13 creeper ej is obviously a regularcreeper ej is obviously a regularcreeper ej is obviously a regularcreeper ej is obviously a regularcreeper ej is obviously a regularcreeper ej is obviously a regularcreeper ej is obviously a regularcreeper ej is obviously a regular

Nice! That's awesome.

Thank you for the advice and wisdom, Pat.
creeper ej is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2011, 06:10 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

I dont really see a huge problem with this method other than the fact that it displaces metal from all surfaces that the water contacts. (and anything that conducts electricity for that matter) I can see using it on a SBC 350 to get rid of heavy rust and scale buildup but i would be very afraid to use it because of the the renound core-shift problems with SBC's. last thing i would want to do is make an allready thin sidewall sleeve thinner. even worse is if it enlarges the lifter-bores... now you have a trash block unless you want to go through alot of machine work.

Last edited by cervan; 03-21-2011 at 06:12 PM.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2011, 06:14 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

hotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 30 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by WORPsol View Post
Good idea but I used oven cleaner and did alot less scrubbing and only took 30 min.
X1000! Walmart has some real good degreaser as well, it wreaks like kerosene or something tho. $1.97/can

Quote:
Take it from somebody who has actually done it more then once and not read about it on the internet......
hotrodj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-forum/144908-diy-hot-tank-%3B.html
Posted By For Type Date
DIY Hot Tank - valaki ilyet? - Chevelle Tech This thread Refback 02-04-2013 10:32 AM