DIY: OG battery relocate - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2011, 06:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Boost Gets You Laid

Rep Power: 35 torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 36 reviews
Send a message via AIM to torturedsol
Default DIY: OG battery relocate

So you want to move the battery in your Hon-Duh eh? Here's my guide for a Del Sol. Will work on other chassis but you will have to put your wires in a diff location. You need:

Battery Box
15feet (or more) of 0-2GA wire
15feet (or more) of 4-6GA wire
Battery terminals
Battery cable ends
4-6GA Butt-connector (or soldering skillz)
Wire Loom
Electrical tape
Tools
Materials:

A quick note before you start. Some Honda OEM radios have anti-theft measures. Make sure you have the unlock code for your radio before you start. Otherwise, you will be paying Honda stealership like $80 to unlock it.

Starting with this:

Remove battery, ground cable, hot wire down at the starter, and the part of the hot wire that goes to the fuse box.
Next, take the 2 12mm bolts out of the battery hold down tray

Open the passanger door and pop the door sill plate that is attached to the carpet. Pull the carpet back from around the ecu and up at the under-dash area. Also pull out the rear interior.

Pop your trunk and remove the carpet from the rear firewall and passanger rear quarter area.

The good folks at Honda seen so fit to provide us with a hole in the firewall already with a nice gromet. This is where we will run our wires through for this relocate.

There is also a nice hole in the rear firewall area that we shall run the rear sections of wire into.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by torturedsol; 03-13-2011 at 06:25 PM.
torturedsol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2011, 06:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Boost Gets You Laid

Rep Power: 35 torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Remove some of the sleeving off the 2GA wire and install one of the cable ends. I used a table vice to squeeze it tight on the wire then hit it with a centerpunch and hammer. Wrap with electrical tape then loom it up.

Cut out the gromet in the firewall with a razor blade, exacto knife, scissor, what ever you have that will do the job and snake the big ass wire in to it.

Feed your wire under the carpet on the passanger side to the hole that was shown earyler in this thread. Snake the wire through there and in to the trunk area.

Cut the end off of your old hot terminal that goes to the underhood fuzebox. Strip your 4GA wire and the end you cut off of the other piece. Splice together using the big butt-splice connector or solder/heat shrink. I used a butt connector then electrical taped, then loomed.
(Not pictured)

Now do as you did the the big hot wire that connects to the starter. Push it through the gromet on the firewall. It's a tight squeeze

Again, do as you did with the big wire. Run it along the passanger side and pop through the hole in the back into the trunk.

This wire will feed constant hot(power) to the fuse box. Keeps memory in your radio and such.

This is as far as I got tonight. Back is killing me and I ran out of battery power in the digi cam. Will post up moar tomorrow

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Okay so I didn't get much further today since my batteries only had enough juice for 2 pics.

Went through and started to protect my wires. For this I used some 3/8" rubber fuel hose and some 3/4" heater hose. Get about 8" of the fuel hose, split down the middle and ~ 4" of the 3/4" hose split down the middle. with the 3/8" hose, slide it on the lip of the oval hole on the rear firewall. Now take your 3/4" hose and slide it over your wires. Use electrical tape to secure it to the wires and prevent it from coming off:

Do the same for the rear. I haven't put my fuel hose ghetto gromet on in this pic(sorry){or put tape on them lol}

Thus far, I'm up to 45min-1hr total time on this project taking pictures and all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by torturedsol; 03-14-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Boost Gets You Laid

Grounded to the strut tower for now and mocked up with my old walmart neverstart battery. Optima Yellow top when I get my bonus at work lol

Last edited by torturedsol; 04-03-2011 at 06:03 AM.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Boost Gets You Laid

Also reserved for moar

Old 03-13-2011, 06:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 xylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcano
xylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 26 reviews

In till the end!

crx hf racecar build:

Base by: Coolder

'93 Del Sol Si D16Z6
Stolen twice, recovered twice, sold once

'88 CRX hf D16Z6
build in progress
xylocramer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2011, 07:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Boost Gets You Laid

Quote:
Originally Posted by xylocramer View Post
In till the end!
It's not bad from where I left off. Make a ground cable. put terminals on, Put some protection on where the wires are snaked through, cut a small hole in the rear trunk carpet for the new wires, put interior back together, hook the wire back up in the fusebox.

ppl will have to get creative on mounting the battery box. I plan on cutting a piece of 1/2thick OSB.

This works on all 92-00, prob ED 88-91's as well. Instead of going though the rear firewall, coupes/hatches can go under the back seat.

An alternative is to get 4 cable ends instead of 2 cable ends and 2 terminals and run a lawn n garden mower battery.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 14 19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

nice man in for update
1991 Honda Civic Hatchback Si
1998 Honda Civic Sedan EX

19si91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 09:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

grommets bro. get a lot of em.

working in the junk yard i saw a LOT of un-fused battery relocations and amps, and the reason why they were in the junk yard is because they all LIT ON FIRE!!! lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 10:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 12 Demon_12-21-2012 is about to blow upDemon_12-21-2012 is about to blow upDemon_12-21-2012 is about to blow upDemon_12-21-2012 is about to blow upDemon_12-21-2012 is about to blow upDemon_12-21-2012 is about to blow upDemon_12-21-2012 is about to blow upDemon_12-21-2012 is about to blow upDemon_12-21-2012 is about to blow upDemon_12-21-2012 is about to blow upDemon_12-21-2012 is about to blow upDemon_12-21-2012 is about to blow upDemon_12-21-2012 is about to blow upDemon_12-21-2012 is about to blow up
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

wish i would have seen this before i sold my catch can...would have given me a place to put it lol

Demon_12-21-2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 11:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 45 99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 32 reviews

might want to add a fuse in the trunk before all that wire running to the nose. a snag in the wire could lead to interesting results.

99EJ6T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

DEFINATELY an inline fuse infront of the FRONT firewall incase coating gets rubbed off someone then youll have something like danz is talking about... your choice though
jt99ek4door is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 02:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

the best one was a VW that had the amp in the trunk...

car completely gutted out.

baby seat in the back was melted to nothing.

i just hope there wasnt a baby in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 02:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 cmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

inline fuses are a must, also if running a lead acid battery you need to run a vent outside of the car from the battery box. What I did when I ran all of my wire is got some cloth padded duct tape and everywhere the wire went through a hole I used the tape to pad the hole. Also run that looming from the box all the way forward instead of just a few feet. Also a way to make it so you dont need to run 2 wires it to mount a distribution block under the underhood fuse box, and tap off that for your starter feed. And a tip, next time goto a welding supply store for your wire, its cheaper, better quality, and usually has much better insulation.

Quote:
cmgogo for gov. of California
Yeah... i'm THAT awesome
cmgogo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 04:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Boost Gets You Laid

I run gel battery on relocates, otherwise I do vent the box per scca and nhra rules.

Don't have a good automotive store to buy stuff from. My gromets consist of cutting rubber hoses down the middle as you will see here later.

I thought about running fusebox feed off the starter but it would be next to impossible to get 2GA wire and a 4GA wire in to one cable end.

I'm sure an inline fuse would be wise but I have never ran one. Then again I always have gromets and protect all wires from chafing. Seen a gauge pillar pod melted due to the guy not putting a gromet in the hole he had drilled. 2000miles after install was the meltdown.

Heading out to the barn to do a little more work. Not sure how many more pics the battery in the digicam will let me take, it's hovering on E lol

Old 03-29-2011, 03:43 PM   #15 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 SinglecamEJ8 is learning the way of the DSinglecamEJ8 is learning the way of the D

very nice and detailed work!

I'm Johnny
SinglecamEJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2011, 04:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 redline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

I don't think he was talking about feeding the starter from the fuse box I think he was suggesting using a distribution block to split your feed this is how I had mine set up
redline7500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2011, 07:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 cmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

^^^^^
that is what i meant.

Quote:
cmgogo for gov. of California
Yeah... i'm THAT awesome
cmgogo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2011, 10:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
wheres my money man!!

Rep Power: 42 sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 143 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sleepingciv Send a message via MSN to sleepingciv Send a message via Yahoo to sleepingciv

hope ya dont mind this. me i hate crimping on lugs, especially if your doing like the big 3i made this vid not to long ago, if ya want ill remove it. i thought it would help some peeps out

sleepingciv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2011, 07:09 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 10 kenny8585 will become famous soon enoughkenny8585 will become famous soon enoughkenny8585 will become famous soon enough

Good stuff. I use to solder terminal ring into wiring but it wasn't for me. I usually crimp it now on. I have done the big 3 too under the hood.
kenny8585 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2011, 11:10 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Eg6-Saechao

nice i never thought about soldering it on before
Eg6-Saechao is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in