D.I.Y. Thread chaser. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 12:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Default D.I.Y. Thread chaser.

Inspired by a comment made by hatchaddict in a thread last week I wanted to make myself one of the thread chasers he said he uses.

Sounded like a great idea to me, saves needing to get out the taps just to chase threads with.

He said how he made it but didn't describe it fully so I wanted to make this so that anyone can make one and keep it around the toolbox/shop.

Materials needed:
Used (or new if you're a baller) d-series headbolt
Angle grinder or a similar thickness disc on a dremel tool
eye protection
Vise or a trusting friend with a pair of pliers/vise grips.

What to do:

Take your headbolt and clamp it tight in a vise with the threaded end facing you (you'll be grinding notches into the threaded end of the bolt) If no vise is available get a friend to help hold the bolt with a pair or pliers or something.

Like so:

Then, you'll want to take your angle grinder and make a notch up into the threads towards the head of the bolt (I suggest to wear safety glasses or a face shield for this part of the process). Be sure not to go too deep as you'll be doing the same on the other side and will need a bit of material in the center so the bolt keeps its general shape and strength.

You'll want it to look like this on both sides:

Then, to use it you simply thread it down to the bottom of the head bolt hole and remove it. You'll see that your notches have filled with crud, like this:

Clean the notches of your chaser out and repeat this process. Follow each chase with brake cleaner, wd40, etc if you like, just be sure to tip the block over and let it drain out or blow the holes out with air afterward.

Removing the crap that collects in these threads is very important as a bit of this gunk can cause the torque wrench to read wrong and the bolt not actually tighten down well on the head which could cause headgasket failure and warped heads. This quick and simple process goes a long way to ensure the health of a fresh rebuild or any mini-me/head swap or headgasket job.

Thanks again to hatchaddict for giving me the simple yet genius idea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
89s1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2011, 12:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 14 hatchaddict is approaching greatnesshatchaddict is approaching greatnesshatchaddict is approaching greatnesshatchaddict is approaching greatnesshatchaddict is approaching greatnesshatchaddict is approaching greatnesshatchaddict is approaching greatnesshatchaddict is approaching greatnesshatchaddict is approaching greatnesshatchaddict is approaching greatnesshatchaddict is approaching greatnesshatchaddict is approaching greatnesshatchaddict is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 31 reviews

hey no problem man im just happy to help you out, and you did good on the design with my vague discription in that thread, mine is a slight different but there is more then one way to skin a cat, it works great doesnt it
hatchaddict is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2011, 12:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano

Yeah man, works really good.

I might extend the notches a little further, but I like it.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
gonzo

Rep Power: 0 slowhitEJ1 is learning the way of the DslowhitEJ1 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

great idea!! I know I have some old headstuds laying around I'll have to make one
slowhitEJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2011, 01:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 11 BoostedCouped16 smells like BoratBoostedCouped16 smells like BoratBoostedCouped16 smells like BoratBoostedCouped16 smells like BoratBoostedCouped16 smells like Borat

Sweet DIY man. I also made one of these the same day i saw hatchaddicts post, great idea!!! works awesome!
BoostedCouped16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2011, 02:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 443 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ryan89crx Send a message via MSN to ryan89crx

Now make it a bottoming tap to clean out the headbolt holes so that ARPs will thread all the way down

[email protected]
Xbox 360 gamertag -
TurboDiesel598

, best bang for your buck!

ryan89crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2011, 02:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan89crx View Post
Now make it a bottoming tap to clean out the headbolt holes so that ARPs will thread all the way down

hrmmm, wouldnt even be that hard, just grind a bit off the end...

Old 02-05-2011, 02:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 11 BoostedCouped16 smells like BoratBoostedCouped16 smells like BoratBoostedCouped16 smells like BoratBoostedCouped16 smells like BoratBoostedCouped16 smells like Borat

Yeah i ground probably 1/4" off the bottom.
BoostedCouped16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2011, 02:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 14 hatchaddict is approaching greatnesshatchaddict is approaching greatnesshatchaddict is approaching greatnesshatchaddict is approaching greatnesshatchaddict is approaching greatnesshatchaddict is approaching greatnesshatchaddict is approaching greatnesshatchaddict is approaching greatnesshatchaddict is approaching greatnesshatchaddict is approaching greatnesshatchaddict is approaching greatnesshatchaddict is approaching greatnesshatchaddict is approaching greatness

mine does, i used a old style head bolt not a tty bolt, the threads on mine start at the bottom of the shank it dont have the tapered part on the end, and my went to the bottom and my arp's are all the way in by hand
Old 02-05-2011, 07:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
\/ apply baby lotion here \/

Rep Power: 46 Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 136 reviews

Clean pictures!

Pata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2011, 10:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 15 B20BbenN is starting to learn the ropesB20BbenN is starting to learn the ropesB20BbenN is starting to learn the ropesB20BbenN is starting to learn the ropesB20BbenN is starting to learn the ropesB20BbenN is starting to learn the ropesB20BbenN is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Great idea!!! repped!
I assume that an old head bolt should also do the trick?

B20BbenN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2011, 04:17 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by B20BbenN View Post
Great idea!!! repped!
I assume that an old head bolt should also do the trick?
that is a old head bolt
Old 02-06-2011, 08:40 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 15 B20BbenN is starting to learn the ropesB20BbenN is starting to learn the ropesB20BbenN is starting to learn the ropesB20BbenN is starting to learn the ropesB20BbenN is starting to learn the ropesB20BbenN is starting to learn the ropesB20BbenN is starting to learn the ropes

Mmmm, there is 2 thread patern in the pics, meaning it is a head stud....no?

Old 02-06-2011, 08:49 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by B20BbenN View Post
Mmmm, there is 2 thread patern in the pics, meaning it is a head stud....no?
i assume youve never seen a torque to yeild head bolt used to fix the head gasket issue in the d15bx's and a6's.

well now you have cause that what he has there
Old 02-06-2011, 03:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Nah! Only experience I had was with the Y7...

Old 02-21-2011, 09:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

I am soooo doing this one! Thanks!
radex7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in