DIY low cost main relay replacemet/upgrade - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2011, 07:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 11 uptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Default DIY low cost main relay replacemet/upgrade

if your main relay is acting up or has gone bad this is a way to get it fixed with a standard 4 pin automotive relay you can find for around $5.

it is also an upgrade from the stock main relay. as you will see in the pick below the main relay send power directly to the fuel pump and works on a circuit board with paper thin copper foil.

im assuming that fuel pumps dont take too much current to run since i was running a walbro 255 on the stock main relay and wiring.

material needed
1 automotive relay with harness ( i used a basic 30 amp 4 pin)
**** if you cant find one with a harness you can use female quck**** **** disconnects onto the relay directly ****

5 male quick disconnects
**** one of them must be larger to hold 2 wires to bridge required **** **** terminals ****

heat shrink wrap for each quick disonnect

i wasnt able to find a harness for my relay so i only have a pic of the prototype that i slapped together.

the wiring instruction are simple just check the correct diagram below. ive got it figuered out for the larger acura main relay but i need to fidn a pinout for the harness, the integra main relay is the same as the one one as the honda"s.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image01202011093129.jpg
Views:	5743
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	26715   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image01202011100024.jpg
Views:	6004
Size:	416.5 KB
ID:	26716   Click image for larger version

Name:	OBD-1 and 2 main relay conversion.JPG
Views:	41434
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	26718   Click image for larger version

Name:	OBD-0 main relay conversion.JPG
Views:	16711
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	26719  

Last edited by uptownsamcv; 01-20-2011 at 07:34 AM.
uptownsamcv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2011, 07:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Poop Sock

wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 34 reviews
Send a message via AIM to wizard's blood

every single time I've ever had a main relay problem I've taken it out, held it about waist high from the ground, Drop it on the pavement, and reinstall. lol thats it. its worked every time for me. Ive done this with two different relays and its worked. just an old trick i guess ha. good DIY!
Old 01-20-2011, 07:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 18 Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

$5? A main relay is free from picknpull... I just keep a known-good spare in my glovebox all the time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sentry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 07:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Resident Crab

Rep Power: 50 krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 32 reviews
Send a message via AIM to krychek57 Send a message via MSN to krychek57 Send a message via Yahoo to krychek57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentry View Post
$5? A main relay is free from picknpull... I just keep a known-good spare in my glovebox all the time.
Theft doesn't count

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
krychek57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2011, 07:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 11 uptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to all

its not just a fix but an upgrade. a fuel pump shouldnt be getting power from a flimsy copper foil lined circuit board.

maybe its all in my head but my idle seems smoother.

another thing that is cool is you can use it as a security feature. i know a guy that puls his main relay when he parks his civic at work cause it was stolen. with a regular relay its liek 3 times small and can fit in your pocket a lot easier. plus it would make it easier to wire in a turbo timer or remote start.

Last edited by uptownsamcv; 01-20-2011 at 08:00 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

Rep Power: 18 Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krychek57 View Post
Theft doesn't count
Okay, $3

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptownsamcv View Post
its not just a fix but an upgrade. a fuel pump shouldnt be getting power from a flimsy copper foil lined circuit board.

maybe its all in my head but my idle seems smoother.

another thing that is cool is you can use it as a security feature. i know a guy that puls his main relay when he parks his civic at work cause it was stolen. with a regular relay its liek 3 times small and can fit in your pocket a lot easier. plus it would make it easier to wire in a turbo timer or remote start.
I know DSMs have this issue, with the fuel pump getting power from a shitty circuit. I don't think Hondas have ever had an issue with it though.

But I like the idea of taking the main relay with you as anti-theft.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 dseries16 smells like Boratdseries16 smells like Boratdseries16 smells like Boratdseries16 smells like Boratdseries16 smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

3$ from a pick and pull, that is a smokin deal. Around here you will be lucky to find one and if you do they want $30-40 almost the same price as new.
dseries16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2011, 09:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentry View Post
I know DSMs have this issue, with the fuel pump getting power from a shitty circuit. I don't think Hondas have ever had an issue with it though.

But I like the idea of taking the main relay with you as anti-theft.
a very common upgrade for high HP hondas is to wire power directly off the alternator, to the fuel pump, using a relay connected to the stock power source for a switch.

not saying replacing the stock relay will do the same thing... but its gotta be better... at least, until the chinese $5 relay bites it. heh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2011, 09:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseries16 View Post
3$ from a pick and pull, that is a smokin deal. Around here you will be lucky to find one and if you do they want $30-40 almost the same price as new.
LOL that's retarded

Here's prices for the picknpull in my city:

Pick-n-Pull Part Pricing

Old 01-20-2011, 09:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

around my way all the main relays are gone. finding a main relay in a salvage yard around here is like finding a honda distributer or manual tranny ECU!! all the honda guys out here know what to grab when a car comes in fresh. i know guys that go to the yard everymorning to check on fresh hondas and integras. on top of that you got honda enthusiast workign at teh salvage yards and selling stuff locally on ebay. my boy miguels garage is ful of stuff. once oen of those gusy tried selling me a vtec spool valve for $100 it took me a while befor ei found one on here. it held up my head swap for months.

now you dont have to haggle with salvage yard buzzards for a main realy!!!
Old 01-20-2011, 09:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

I always just re-flow the solder on them. Haven't seen any other failures other than cold solder joints.

I just made a dedicated power circuit for my fuel pump.

snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2011, 10:03 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

i always hear about the solder fix. but for those who cant get ahold of a sodlering iron or have no idea how to use one this is way easier.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 19 crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to crazymx6

nice write up

i tried the solder fix and all it did was nothingexcept for waste like 15 min of my time lol

crazymx6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

same here. thats how this came about. im going to make a kit with color coded wires and a diagram. a few guys i know already want one.

Last edited by uptownsamcv; 01-20-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 dseries16 smells like Boratdseries16 smells like Boratdseries16 smells like Boratdseries16 smells like Boratdseries16 smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

ya i live across the street from a junkyard and finding parts at a good price are hard to come by they wanted 180 bucks for a crx dash they said they would take 130 if i gave them the one out of my civic. I have had pretty good luck with just reflowing the sodder joints myself.
dseries16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2011, 03:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by snm95ls View Post
I always just re-flow the solder on them. Haven't seen any other failures other than cold solder joints.

I just made a dedicated power circuit for my fuel pump.
Did the same to mine last year was free to do and have not had a problem since.
bradz6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2011, 08:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

i just dont like its design seems liek its main real cheaply.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:23 PM   #18 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 deschlong  is accepted as part of the communitydeschlong  is accepted as part of the communitydeschlong  is accepted as part of the communitydeschlong  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptownsamcv View Post
around my way all the main relays are gone. finding a main relay in a salvage yard around here is like finding a honda distributer or manual tranny ECU!! all the honda guys out here know what to grab when a car comes in fresh. i know guys that go to the yard everymorning to check on fresh hondas and integras. on top of that you got honda enthusiast workign at teh salvage yards and selling stuff locally on ebay. my boy miguels garage is ful of stuff. once oen of those gusy tried selling me a vtec spool valve for $100 it took me a while befor ei found one on here. it held up my head swap for months.

now you dont have to haggle with salvage yard buzzards for a main realy!!!
Off topic, but I can only extend my sympathies to you. I'd say Hondas around where I am go to the crusher about 60-80% untouched. In fact, I don't know if I've seen a Civic that's EVER had its main relay removed ... well, ok a couple of times. But that is the exception, not the rule. I frequent a couple in my area and there are still 5th Gen Coupes with the front spoilers on them, ECUs intact, clocks and black armrests still in them ... hell I even saw a cluster w/ tach sit around for 8 months before I finally pulled it myself for a project.

to my DIYs for 92-95 Civics
|
deschlong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2011, 04:02 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

wow. i woudl actually like to get ahold of a Ek cluster with wiring myself. i want to put one in my rex.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:14 AM   #20 (permalink)
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER

Rep Power: 24 guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano
guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 46 reviews

I personally haven't replaced a main relay on anything. it's always spark. I dunno what the hell you guys are doing to your main relays.

ok, one accord at a shop I worked at need a main relay.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in