Custom door inserts DIY - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 04:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Custom door inserts DIY

this probably has been covered a couple of times and i apologize about the lack of pictures but read close and its pretty easy...

1. get your fabric...the thicker the better OR find a fabric with a "backing" on it, this makes it easier to glue without the glue coming thru the material (looks like shit)
2. get yourself a can of spray adhesive i used 3M's 77 spray adhesive
3. take your door panels off
4. locate what is holding your door inserts on (iin my case the 96-00 hatches have about 20 some million freaking plastic rivets which were melted on)
5. remove these above (whatever they may be) i had to use a simple pocket knife, a dremel tool probably would work better
6. remove door insert material (should peel right off)
7. sand the bare insert with fine grit sand paper, i used 220
8. clean surface and let dry
9. spray your cleaned and dry door insert with spray adhesive until fully covered (careful not to over saturate insert) let glue get tacky
10. cut fabric about an inch and half bigger than door insert
11. apply material and stretch to remove air and folds
12. trim material and tuck inside door insert
13. put door insert back on door panel ( i had to use screws and washers to get it to hold)
14. stand back and admire your work!!!
15. repeat steps for other door!

i hope this helped those of you who asked for a DIY on how i did my inserts

here is the link to my showcase forum of my work
https://www.d-series.org/forums/showc...ml#post2211660

sorry about the lack of picture cuz i wasnt planning on doing an DIY but people asked and i delivered!

ENJOY

post any pictures or extra steps of your work!
97sohc_d00d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2011, 10:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 slammed91sedan is almost a somebodyslammed91sedan is almost a somebodyslammed91sedan is almost a somebodyslammed91sedan is almost a somebody

Repped!

Awesome DIY.

Edit: Maybe I can use this for a headliner too
typical female, ANY mention of sex and suddenly a headache comes on. never fails to amaze me lol.
XBOXLIVE slammed91sedan

Last edited by slammed91sedan; 01-12-2011 at 10:28 AM.
slammed91sedan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 10:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

yes lol im doing black suede on the headliner!

Old 01-15-2011, 07:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 10 EF9jerm is starting to learn the ropesEF9jerm is starting to learn the ropesEF9jerm is starting to learn the ropesEF9jerm is starting to learn the ropesEF9jerm is starting to learn the ropesEF9jerm is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EF9jerm

damn i wanna do white bandana in the door inserts in my EF, but you said the thicker the better :/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ATED
EF9jerm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 08:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 18 Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!
Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Egwhite

I swear if i go to wrap another crx headliner and it sags because of following you and another guys advice & success you will get mailed a nice hot steaming pile of buffalo SHIT!

Hello noob meet.....Google
Egwhite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2011, 01:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

advance auto parts... go get the headliner spray when you do your headliner and as far as your bandana inserts id see if you can get another thicker material to tack it to just to make it tight then try it...shit even an old shirt would probably do
Old 01-19-2011, 09:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 10 EF9jerm is starting to learn the ropesEF9jerm is starting to learn the ropesEF9jerm is starting to learn the ropesEF9jerm is starting to learn the ropesEF9jerm is starting to learn the ropesEF9jerm is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EF9jerm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97sohc_d00d View Post
advance auto parts... go get the headliner spray when you do your headliner and as far as your bandana inserts id see if you can get another thicker material to tack it to just to make it tight then try it...shit even an old shirt would probably do
you mean like put a white tee down and just like staple the bandana to it?

ATED
EF9jerm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2011, 06:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 13 creeper ej is obviously a regularcreeper ej is obviously a regularcreeper ej is obviously a regularcreeper ej is obviously a regularcreeper ej is obviously a regularcreeper ej is obviously a regularcreeper ej is obviously a regularcreeper ej is obviously a regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97sohc_d00d View Post
advance auto parts... go get the headliner spray when you do your headliner
You're talking about the mid-strength 3M stuff? (vs. the heavy duty version for the actual backing piece, or carpet/whatever)

I've been wondering what won't soak through but still tack fabric effectively.

Nice DIY write-up, btw. Info should come in handy for me soon.

Thank you for the advice and wisdom, Pat.
creeper ej is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2011, 10:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

my GF used Super 77 and after one summer it was sagging and separating.

use Hi Strength 90 if you dont want it to sag after getting hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2011, 10:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 19 crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to crazymx6

ya the glue is the biggest part and the tack up time of it.....i have never had a problem with super 77....or 90

i prefer the 90 but you have to make sure it sprays out in that stringy like consistancy....and stay away from the ones that say "headliner glue" they are basically like water...

also make sure when appling the fabric start from the middle and push out wards...helps to have an extra set of hands....and make sure to use a roller or side of your hand to push down all aeras of the fabric to ensure a proper bond.

crazymx6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2011, 01:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF9jerm View Post
you mean like put a white tee down and just like staple the bandana to it?
yeah like glue or staple or even stitch the bandana to the the t-shirt or whatever fabric before wrapping anything, the t-shirt is only acting as a backing to keep the glue from soaking thru, trust me it looks like piss!

and as far as the 3m 77 spray glue it holds pretty damn good my buddy put his arm rest on with it a while back and still doesnt have any bubbles or seperation even after having his arm pressed on it all day
Old 01-24-2011, 02:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

good DIY
EF hatch ZC swapped (stolen)
CRX si (sold)
99 Protege 1.8 swapped (totalled)
Sedan (current)

frankensteingarage.com

my other home^ needs more honda guys lol
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2011, 02:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

thanks man
Old 01-24-2011, 02:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 cmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

as far as adhesives i would stay away from 33 or 77, i used them almost 2 years ago to completely rewrap my interior

I live in the NW, so we have fairly mild winters and summers, however even after prepping to the specs listed the adhesive has already started to let go, by the summer I am going to have to completely rewrap my interior again. Ill be using 90 this time. Also headliner adhesive doesnt work for shit, dont bother trying it.

Quote:
cmgogo for gov. of California
Yeah... i'm THAT awesome
cmgogo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2011, 02:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

well yours is vinyl that shit you have to heat and stretch my buddy had to get his done at an upolstry shop cuz he couldnt get it to stick
Old 01-24-2011, 02:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 cmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

actually had to do very little heating, and almost no stretching, its marine vinyl, nylon mesh backing, so it doesnt stretch for shit anyways haha.

Quote:
cmgogo for gov. of California
Yeah... i'm THAT awesome
cmgogo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2011, 03:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

hmmm weird
Old 01-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #18 (permalink)
n00b

i used super 77 on my door inserts and headliner, it's going on 3 years and holding strong. I wraped it in black tweed
98civicdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2011, 04:41 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

my faith is in 3M 77 spray for the door panels but the headliner i got some "heavy duty headliner spray" and yes the crap works
Old 01-24-2011, 06:26 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 10 TheSaint is learning the way of the DTheSaint is learning the way of the D

this looks fantastic - i will be using the same type of material to re-trim the center of my bucket seats and my door trims =)
TheSaint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in