DIY Clutch cable mod. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 Kyred is starting to learn the ropesKyred is starting to learn the ropesKyred is starting to learn the ropesKyred is starting to learn the ropesKyred is starting to learn the ropesKyred is starting to learn the ropesKyred is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 21 reviews
Default DIY Clutch cable mod.

First off, the reason I did this mod is because I installed a stage 4 Comp clutch and the rubber bushing at the end of the brand new OEM cable disintegrated in 2 days. Plus everyone who has installed a stage 4 or higher clutch knows how much you need to tighted the cable from the get go just to get enough travel, due to cable stretch and this little grommet compressing so much. So I decided it needed to be a little stronger. I know it won't help the other week points in the clutch system, like the pedal and cable stretch, but it should make a difference!

Now lets get to work.
First remove the factory rubber grommet. This wasn't very hard for me. Mine split on it's own.

Here's what the cable looked like after it's removal

Next gather these plumbing parts. Any hardware store should have them.
a 1/2 inch pipe coupling

A 1/2 to 1/4 pipe bushing.

And finally a 1/4 inch nipple. 1-2 inches long. It will be cut down anyway. Mine was a 2 inch.

I got a little ahead of myself and started grinding a little too quick but it worked out anyway. The first thing to do is cut a groove wide enough for the cable to enter the center of the 1/2 inch coupling. I used an angle grinder with a cutting wheel. I cut this groove first to make it easy to bottom out the bushing later.

Next you will thread the 1/2-1/4 bushing into the coupler. Now that the coupler is split it should be fairly easy to bottom it out.

Now Thread the 1/4" nipple into the bushing as far as you can. Then cut the nipple down to approximately 1/2 inch out of the bushing. Then Go ahead and grind the top at a taper like this. Grind just enough so it will sit inside the concave washer on the cable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kyred; 01-09-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Kyred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2011, 05:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
FYB or FIU tune, pick 1

Rep Power: 9 Burton6431 will become famous soon enoughBurton6431 will become famous soon enoughBurton6431 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

wrong links man... that sucks i did that once time consuming shit.
Burton6431 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2011, 05:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

crxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 24 reviews

The cable itself will still stretch over time, I had a custom one made and have no problem. I am interested in the pics though.
from here on out all will be healed due to the honda holy water (jb weld)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
302hp/262TQ

Last edited by crxlifer21; 01-09-2011 at 06:02 PM.
crxlifer21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 05:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 Kyred is starting to learn the ropesKyred is starting to learn the ropesKyred is starting to learn the ropesKyred is starting to learn the ropesKyred is starting to learn the ropesKyred is starting to learn the ropesKyred is starting to learn the ropes

Next continue the cut from the coupler through the bushing and nipple.

Here's a test fitting.

Now here's a part you can change if you want. I chose to weld the groove back shut. If you don't have a welder, you might be able to use JB weld, or if you can wait to cut the groove until last and take it back apart and offset the grooves on each part so they don't align. This will keep the cable from comming out, but the whole thing could possibly open up and spread apart. So I went ahead and welded it up. After installing it on the cable of course!

Next I didn't want the cable rubbing directly on the metal, so I filled it with some high temp RTV I had around. You could probably use window weld as well. I was out of it.

Then I rigged it up with a little tension on it to keep the washers tight against it while the RTV dried.

I will reinstall the cable tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Fixed guys. Wow. You don't realize how shitty your camera phone pics are until you blow them up! Sorry guys. I hope you get the idea.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

crxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussie

You solved a lot of the squishy pedal feeling though by eliminating the rubber, Just remember that this puts more stress on the cable and pedal assembly.

302hp/262TQ

Old 01-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxlifer21 View Post
You solved a lot of the squishy pedal feeling though by eliminating the rubber, Just remember that this puts more stress on the cable and pedal assembly.
Yeah I know, but the rubber only lasted 2 days. LOL. I would hope it takes longer for the cable to stretch or the pedal to break. If that happens, then I can write another DIY for that problem.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyred View Post
Yeah I know, but the rubber only lasted 2 days. LOL. I would hope it takes longer for the cable to stretch or the pedal to break. If that happens, then I can write another DIY for that problem.
I know of guys getting 10k out of an oem cable. The problem is that you will eventually run out of adjustment due to the stretch. You did a good job though for a DIY.

302hp/262TQ

Old 01-10-2011, 09:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Reinstalled the cable today and it feels a lot better. I can adjust it so there is enough slack in it so the TOB isn't rubbing all the time and it still disengages completely. There's also more adjustment left on the cable, due to the spacer being taller.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyred View Post
Reinstalled the cable today and it feels a lot better. I can adjust it so there is enough slack in it so the TOB isn't rubbing all the time and it still disengages completely. There's also more adjustment left on the cable, due to the spacer being taller.
thats pretty cool! good idea.

i hated that about my clutches when i was cable. good on ya. rep!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2011, 10:51 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 12 jdm_trai is learning the way of the Djdm_trai is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

pics of it installed!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in