DIY Distributor Seal Replacement - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 03:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Rep Power: 11 kermitt is learning the way of the Dkermitt is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default DIY Distributor Seal Replacement

Disclaimer: This write-up is intended for informational purposes only, to be used in conjunction with the appropriate knowledge, skills, service manuals, documents, equiptment, tools, and common sense necessary to complete this repair.

Now that my ass is covered...

I know it is a fairly common problem for Honda's to have issues with oil leaking into the distributor cap. And I've had an almost constant misfire because of rusted trigger wheels on a new reman distributor so i replaced the center section of mine with one i picked up from a junkyard, and replaced the seal to solve the problem permanently.

Tools Needed: phillips screwdriver, 10 & 12mm sockets and ratchet, seal pick, felt tip pen, and a nice ice cold beer.

First thing i did was mark the distributor and the head so I could keep the timing right when re-installing the distributor.

Then we have to remove the distributor cap. Remove the cap and leave the wires on to make things a lot easier
This is the problem we're fixing here. Clearly there is a slight problem here with all the oil under the cap.

Here you can see the rusty crank trigger wheel and some of the oil residue.

Remove the (3) 12mm bolts holding the distributor to the head, and note the position of the rotor so the distributor can be installed properly when you're done. I also had an oil leak where the housing meets the head, a new O-ring will fix this.

Now that the distributor is off the car the fun part can begin. Start by removing the rotor screw then lifting the rotor off of the shaft.

Next are the coil and ignitor. I have an external coil so I can't show you how to remove it, but it is just (2) small phillips screws connecting the wires and (2) more holding the coil into the housing. The ignitor comes out by removing the (2) screws shown here on either side of the screwdriver. You can use tape and a pen to mark the wires to the ignitor so they go back in the right place.

It should look similar to this now.
Next remove the (2) screws that hold the number one position sensor to the top of the housing. Marked by the green lines.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2011, 03:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Rep Power: 11 kermitt is learning the way of the Dkermitt is learning the way of the D

The C-clip on the bottom comes out next, I used my seal pick to pry up one end and chased it around until it was off. Then you can remove the pin that the clip retains.

Now remove the (3) screws that hold the center assembly to the housing and lift it out. Marked by the green lines.

Here you can see the difference between the three month old remanufactured shaft and the junkyard replacement.

Once the shaft is out you can see the seal and the mess that it caused.

I was this far so I decided to wipe out the entire housing so I removed the other two sensors.

To remove the seal the easy way, I stabbed my pick through it from the bottom and pryed a little bit and it came right out.

Install the new seal using a seal driver or a socket that has a slightly smaller diameter being careful to tap it in square to the housing. I used my 5/8 spark plug socket and a 6" extention. Be sure to lube the seal with some motor oil to be sure that it won't tear.

Installation is the reverse of removal. If you removed all of the sensors you should be able to tell which one is which by the length of the wires, or you can number them w/ a silver sharpie before they are removed.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 b16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

niceee. good way to make a car run better, and keep oil LOL
b16racereg6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 04:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 14 schardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

excellent writeup, repped!

and i vote STICKY!!!! but you should add where you got the seal from, a link or something.
schardbody is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011, 04:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
yEaH tHaT gUy!!!

Rep Power: 32 Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Onatop Send a message via Yahoo to Onatop

nice job

Quote:
Originally Posted by schardbody View Post
but you should add where you got the seal from, a link or something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Often replicated but never DUPLICATED & NEVER done like D&M Tuning
Onatop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011, 04:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
ministry of mayhem!

Rep Power: 48 eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to eddcartes Send a message via Yahoo to eddcartes

wow i did this exact thing a while ago... nice.
Evil spirits beautiful naked girl live boobs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
I mess with cars because it's more socially acceptable than a cocaine habit ... although the cocaine would probably be cheaper.
Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #666!
rip emilio gallardo (milo). outstanding father, spouse, friend and member of dso. you will always be missed.

rip, patprimmer. last of the titans.

one thing i've learned from this job is to always keep a pack of cheese for your whine.

my ED6 build thread:

my dyno compe build:

eddcartes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011, 04:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 10 l337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

place to buy the seal and part number?
Majestic shows it as buy a new unit .....

Honda Automotive Parts

l337h4l is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schardbody View Post
excellent writeup, repped!

and i vote STICKY!!!! but you should add where you got the seal from, a link or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l337h4l View Post
place to buy the seal and part number?
Majestic shows it as buy a new unit .....

Honda Automotive Parts
Got the seal from PartsTrain.com - Hard to Find Auto Parts and Truck Parts - Pretty much the going rate for the seal anywhere else. I paid around $18 for the seal w/ shipping.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pew Pew!

Rep Power: 23 Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Sammo115

very nice write up. Rep'd
Sammo115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011, 05:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Certified O.G.

Rep Power: 27 Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Staypuff578

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammo115 View Post
X2, good job man

Quote:
almost as badass as my mustache, like a mustache with tits
Instagram- Spoolin_Larry
Staypuff578 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011, 05:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 gRubtastic is learning the way of the DgRubtastic is learning the way of the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammo115 View Post
thats a job well done
Old 01-03-2011, 06:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

Good write up

Rep coming your way.

89s1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2011, 01:00 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 dseries16 smells like Boratdseries16 smells like Boratdseries16 smells like Boratdseries16 smells like Boratdseries16 smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

love the right up man, you posted just in time for me to tackle the oil leak i got on my car lol.
dseries16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2011, 03:03 AM   #14 (permalink)
rdc
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 12 rdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow up
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to rdc Send a message via MSN to rdc Send a message via Skype™ to rdc

reped I was looking for pics of the various toothed wheels in the distributor.
rdc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2011, 05:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 aznxstazy is learning the way of the Daznxstazy is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

do you have to replace the trigger?
aznxstazy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2011, 07:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
\/ apply baby lotion here \/

Rep Power: 46 Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 136 reviews

Good write up.
Thanks

Pata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2011, 07:33 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 coasttime is da #1 stunnacoasttime is da #1 stunnacoasttime is da #1 stunnacoasttime is da #1 stunnacoasttime is da #1 stunnacoasttime is da #1 stunnacoasttime is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Nice write up. Wish I would have known this.

"Learn from yesterday live for today hope for tomorrow.

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough."
Dwight Schrute: Theres too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.
coasttime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011, 12:17 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 12 NemaN will become famous soon enoughNemaN will become famous soon enoughNemaN will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

i dissembled it like 5 times, i had oil in the last sensor and ecu started going in limp mode sometimes....

Even when i replaced the seal i had to clean it again 2x, use some petrol or alcohol(something that evaporates quickly) ...now its fine
NemaN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011, 05:18 PM   #19 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Nice write bro

I LOVE THEM SHAVED LOL
94TURBOFERIO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011, 11:37 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznxstazy View Post
do you have to replace the trigger?
The trigger wheels do not have to be replaced. I only did so to fix the misfire problem that I had
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-forum/141353-diy-distributor-seal-replacement.html
Posted By For Type Date
Rover Club Bulgaria • ??? ?????? - ? - ??????? ?? ????? ?? F20Z1 This thread Refback 01-30-2013 07:02 AM
????? ????????? ? ??????? - Hondabg.com ?????? This thread Refback 01-09-2011 03:12 AM