DIY DelSol Rocker panel patch - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2010, 03:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 10 l337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Default DIY DelSol Rocker panel patch

So I spent about 10 hours this weekend fixing a car for a local guy.

No place to buy a Delsol rocker panel other than the stealership so I found one here: I only planned to use part of it instead of the whole piece because it did not fit.
5135803 - 1992-1995 CIVIC SEDAN ROCKER PANEL 4 DOOR

Here is the work:

First cut out all the rust I used a 3" cutoff wheel.

I then proceeded to cut off the rocker and trim the piece of the replacement to size.

Step I did not get a pic of was wire wheeling the rust flakes off the frame and a bit of sand blasting to get to bare metal.
I then used Epoxy resin sealer primer on the frame and undercoated on the inside.

After tack welding the rocker in place I proceeded to weld more on the seams. After cooling I applied more rubberized undercoating to the backside of the rocker before using 18 gauge steel and making custom sized and shaped patches.

Pic is of the tacked panels in place.

After I finished welding tacks until fully welded.then sealed with epoxy resin primer.

Now the real ugly part. Bondo... Its just a skim coat.

I then took my 17" air board and began sanding, you have to use the existing steel body line if any left as a guide.

after about an 1/2 hour of sanding with 40 grit and 2 more skim coats to fill small holes. Then filler primer and 320 grit. Then sealer primer.

Next side repeat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

l337h4l is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
FYB or FIU tune, pick 1

Rep Power: 9 Burton6431 will become famous soon enoughBurton6431 will become famous soon enoughBurton6431 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

pretty nice work for doin it outta your garage sweet man
Burton6431 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2010, 06:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

EP3Moschini It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

oush, thats a good amount of bondo, and it looks like there is still some rust bubbles on the wheel arch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EP3Moschini is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 12:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

I will say this, you didn't go deep enough!

The drains by the rear glass allow matter down to the area you repaired, better check the frame rails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2010, 04:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 slammed91sedan is almost a somebodyslammed91sedan is almost a somebodyslammed91sedan is almost a somebodyslammed91sedan is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

correct me if im wrong, but shouldnt your suspension be loaded? And not to be critical, but the driver side looks a little odd down in the corner by the door.
typical female, ANY mention of sex and suddenly a headache comes on. never fails to amaze me lol.
XBOXLIVE slammed91sedan
slammed91sedan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2010, 04:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 slammed91sedan is almost a somebodyslammed91sedan is almost a somebodyslammed91sedan is almost a somebodyslammed91sedan is almost a somebody

^ imma correct myself, i think the suspension loaded is for a full QP replacement. its been a while lol
typical female, ANY mention of sex and suddenly a headache comes on. never fails to amaze me lol.
XBOXLIVE slammed91sedan
Old 12-06-2010, 05:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
FYB or FIU tune, pick 1

Rep Power: 9 Burton6431 will become famous soon enoughBurton6431 will become famous soon enoughBurton6431 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

ive done many panel replacements on a frame machine while the car was clamped and in the air.
Burton6431 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2010, 05:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 10 l337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by EP3Moschini View Post
oush, thats a good amount of bondo, and it looks like there is still some rust bubbles on the wheel arch
not really much bondo after its sanded down maybe 1/16"
Yeah the guy only wanted the huge holes fixed for the winter as to not catch salt and snow in the car. This spring I am going over the whole car, sandblasting rust bubbles adding patches and filling chips ready for paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
I will say this, you didn't go deep enough!

The drains by the rear glass allow matter down to the area you repaired, better check the frame rails.
I did and rerouted the drains as they were just dripping inside the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyguyneedsmotorhelp View Post
correct me if im wrong, but shouldnt your suspension be loaded? And not to be critical, but the driver side looks a little odd down in the corner by the door. .
Yeah pic was taken prior to final block sanding there was a high spot and the driver door sags real bad, but the body line of the rear quarter is correct. the door throws it off. Camera is crappy cell phone if you notice the bright orange dent in the driver door you can barely see it person, but the camera really emphasized the dent with strange coloration. Come January I get to upgrade to iPhone 4 from my 3G, which has much better resolution and HD video lol.

Last edited by l337h4l; 12-06-2010 at 05:31 AM.
l337h4l is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2010, 08:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

i just remember hearing that because once you put all the load and weight back on the tires it actually puts it back on the body panels also. I heard of someone replacing a QP and they put the car back down and it actually put a nice big dent in the new QP.
XBOXLIVE slammed91sedan
Old 12-23-2010, 02:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

i like it. it aint ghetto fabolous like my rivet job tho.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

medinabard It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to medinabard

that looks clean
medinabard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2011, 08:46 AM   #12 (permalink)

good stuff. I have rust there too =(

1997 Mustang Cobra convertible, show car...16mpg
2012 Ninja 650 53mpg

1991 Ranger, beater
My insurance SUCKS
caseyrock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in