Resurface your head and block for under $10 - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2010, 07:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 10 l337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Default Resurface your head and block for under $10

This is an old trick for those that do not know. I popped a head gasket on my motor because the previous owner smeared Hondabond all over it.... WTF?

Anyhow I took it apart and had to clean it so I bought sharpening stone and performed this oldskoool trick.

Combination Sharpening Stone
and some WD 40 or lubricating oil.

ALWAYS REMEMBER FLAT TO FLAT - Never bevel edges always have the stone flat and supported at both ends by the block or head. Plug all your oil and coolant passages with paper towels.

You can see the excessive Hondabond.......

Finished product:

I ended up using Permatex High Tack as an added precaution on the new gasket but probably did not need it. all you need is a light dusting.
http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...et_Sealant.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

l337h4l is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2010, 08:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 1991hatch is almost a somebody1991hatch is almost a somebody1991hatch is almost a somebody1991hatch is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Hmmmm. I woulda never thought of that, nice trick. (:
1991hatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2010, 12:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 EJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EJ6Civic27

Why not just use some 1000 or even 1500 grit sand paper on a block of wood? Either way, + rep for DIY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

a6 Cam/z6 intake manifold/full header back exhaust
Spider RPM tune/3500rpm launch/7200 fuel cut/NGK AFX Wideband

EJ6Civic27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 01:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
gonzo

theidealone It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Id be careful with a block of wood. Id rather spend the money on a blocking tool used for body work, and some 800 wet or something.

Sharpening tool seems cool and creative. But Id still be a little weary on that thing being perfectly flat too.
theidealone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2010, 01:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Rep Power: 10 l337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatness

I just use it to clean off old gasket material and freshen it up not really taking lots of material off.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

Pass.

BTW, it isn't uncommon to use a very light oat of RTV around the oil drain back passages on the head gasket when putting an LS-VTAK together as the passages between the block and head do not match worth a damn and tend to make them weep oil.

snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2010, 01:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snm95ls View Post
Pass.

BTW, it isn't uncommon to use a very light oat of RTV around the oil drain back passages on the head gasket when putting an LS-VTAK together as the passages between the block and head do not match worth a damn and tend to make them weep oil.
no no my friend the previous owner covered the whole gasket with Honda bond and besides gasket being used is Cometic LS Vtec Hybrid which matches the embossed areas to the holes in head and block for the odd combination

Old 11-29-2010, 01:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by l337h4l View Post
no no my friend the previous owner covered the whole gasket with Honda bond and besides gasket being used is Cometic LS Vtec Hybrid which matches the embossed areas to the holes in head and block for the odd combination
That's just retarded.

snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2010, 01:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

sick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussie

I wouldnt do this. maybe back int he day like when it was done.

teamdohc.org
95 civic coupe ex. Vitara-hbeam Z6
New Project Built Turbo F2B F22A nonvtec into civic
93 Accord SE 4dr black9stock)
Owner @ Grab-a-Nekbrace ENT like us on Facebook!

sick1camcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2010, 06:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano

Honestly I wouldnt trust a sharpening stone. They are rarely flat to begin with and often wear very unevenly. If I was desperate or just REALLY cheap I might do this with a nice long flat file though, that is how I usually fix messed up exhaust manifold surfaces and it works great.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Poop Sock

wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 34 reviews
Send a message via AIM to wizard's blood

is this motor up and running again?
Old 11-29-2010, 06:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
gonzo

theidealone It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Like I said, I would consider blocking it like you would a body panel. Maybe even spray paint the surface for a guide coat.
theidealone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2010, 07:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 51 reviews

...to save $30 I'll pass. any small scratch is a potential leakage spot.

NeonPinHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2010, 07:54 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard's blood View Post
is this motor up and running again?
279-285 PSI on all cylinders 15k miles on the engine
All I did was clean the block and head of garbage I did not try to mill it. Just gave it a clean surface.

@ Neonpinhead the finish on the stone is finer than a milled spec surface from the machine shop with no down dime

Old 11-29-2010, 08:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 12 jdm_trai is learning the way of the Djdm_trai is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

i do this all the time i jus use a straight edge and feeler gage and level to spec. only prob is the measuring u have to do it in a specific manner, nice diy btw!
Old 11-29-2010, 08:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

Quote:
279-285 PSI on all cylinders 15k miles on the engine
All I did was clean the block and head of garbage I did not try to mill it. Just gave it a clean surface.

@ Neonpinhead the finish on the stone is finer than a milled spec surface from the machine shop with no down dime
too smooth is bad you know that right?

i wouldnt trust a sharpening stone as far as i could throw it even if i was just removing shit from the surface.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2010, 09:00 PM   #17 (permalink)

siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....siregcivic is almost there....
Send a message via AIM to siregcivic

next time just grab the head, put it flat on the driveway, and slide it against the cement ridges, that will flatten it right up lmfao

JUST KIDDING

but seriously i would rather have a professional machine shop machine my stuff then try to do it myself...

but +1 to you for creativity

SOBER TILL ITS OVER

Quote:
can you tell me how to hook up a vtech switch?
i want it on the new steering wheel i got at pep boys. have you seen it its sick!
but if i hook up the vtech i can have it at like whatever rpms i want right?
like vtech all the time? will it pop louder?
Quote:
Just hook it up to a clapper and slap yourself in the face everytime you race......
siregcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2010, 09:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 12 DemoFly is a name known to allDemoFly is a name known to allDemoFly is a name known to allDemoFly is a name known to allDemoFly is a name known to allDemoFly is a name known to allDemoFly is a name known to allDemoFly is a name known to allDemoFly is a name known to allDemoFly is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
I just use it to clean off old gasket material and freshen it up not really taking lots of material off.
Even using scotch brite pads or wire wheel brushes can warp the surface finish of a head by 0.0020...specifically on aluminum heads and blocks

YouTube - Nissan SR20-DET Block Resurfacing
Old 11-29-2010, 09:39 PM   #19 (permalink)

Rep Power: 29 Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemoFly View Post
Even using scotch brite pads or wire wheel brushes can warp the surface finish of a head by 0.0020...specifically on aluminum heads and blocks

My thoughts exactly.
I very much doubt that the surface of the stone is flat to within a few thousandths, let alone the idea that you could slide it across a surface that accurately.

As someone who has a fair bit of experience running a mill, I understand how incomprehensibly small these kind of tolerances really are, which is why I am appalled by this...
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2010, 03:56 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm_trai View Post
i do this all the time i jus use a straight edge and feeler gage and level to spec. only prob is the measuring u have to do it in a specific manner, nice diy btw!
After the refinish was done I checked the head and block to make sure it was in tolerance with a machinists straight edge. Reason for pulling the head was it overheated to 230 degrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by cervan View Post
too smooth is bad you know that right?

i wouldnt trust a sharpening stone as far as i could throw it even if i was just removing shit from the surface.
It was recommended by my machinist who originally built the motor that had 30k miles on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemoFly View Post

Scotchbright pad and wire wheels will warp the head when you put it on a DA or drill and heat up the aluminum.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in