DIY Carbon Fiber roof overlay - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2010, 05:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 10 l337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Default DIY Carbon Fiber roof overlay

I know I am going to get crap about this because it does nothing but laminate the roof and make it stronger but I had the materials laying around and wanted to save on Paint cost when I did it because my Silver Paint was $190 a quart.

first I don't have every picture as I went along but you must have a clean prepped surface.... Makes sense right?
I used common black paint in a can to paint the base of the car. This is very important as if the fibers shift you can see specs of colors below.

Next you must mix your resin. I did a lot of research on a proper resin with UV properties that dries clear. Cheap resin will fade yellow and crack like cheap carbon fiber hoods.
WEST System 105 Epoxy Resin
The Epoxy is all the same for everything its the Hardener that produce's the cure and clarity. The 207 Hardener is designed for unpainted clear finishes like wood on a boat.

After the surface is prepped and painted black you must apply resin on the surface. DO NOT mix all your resin at once you only have about 20 min before it starts to harden. Do not worry about it being uneven as the resin is very thin liquid state and will settle like the picture below.

After 15-20 min touch the resin to see if it is tacky without sticking to your finger like wet Elmers/White glue. Depending on the outside temperature the resin dries and different speeds.

Next is the crucial most important part. ***Note*** CF cloth is not like Fiberglass which has microbeads of resin gluing the strands together so they do not shift. If you tug CF cloth it will shift the whole pattern. When laying your CF cloth get 4 friends to help (One at each Corner). Slowly lower it to the surface centered. You must set it from the center outward to avoid waves and folds. Press it down in the center smoothing it out as it is lowered. Use masking tape to hold down all the edges of cloth and to wrap around corners.

Mix more resin and time to bond it immediately. Now we bond the Cloth to the tacky Base with more resin. Soak your smoothed cloth with resin using a squeegee. This pushes out all air bubbles as you soak the cloth. If you encounter too many air bubbles like a froth you have too much resin in that spot squeegee it along to a drier area. To pop other bubbles you can use a heat gun and blow it over the surface and they will pop.
This is what it will look like afterwords.

Let dry until cured 12-24 hours depending on temperature outside.

Once dry you will need Sandpaper. 120grit works fine we need to scuff it up to allow the next layer of resin to bond. Be Careful not to scuff it too much and have the fibers fray out.

At this time I also cut off all my extra overlap as you can see in the pics above.

Now you need to apply about 3 more layers of resin every 30-45 Min per layer as it sets up. after a full 24-36 hour Cure get the sander paper out. Resin is like sanding steel. start with 80-120 grit move to 220 then 320....400...600. It should appear close to this at 800.

You can continue all the way to 2000 grit and then Polishing compound or do as I did and use Clear coat in a spray gun.

Last edited by l337h4l; 11-20-2010 at 05:53 PM.
l337h4l is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2010, 05:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

sheasekhatch is hot as a volcanosheasekhatch is hot as a volcanosheasekhatch is hot as a volcanosheasekhatch is hot as a volcanosheasekhatch is hot as a volcanosheasekhatch is hot as a volcanosheasekhatch is hot as a volcanosheasekhatch is hot as a volcanosheasekhatch is hot as a volcanosheasekhatch is hot as a volcanosheasekhatch is hot as a volcanosheasekhatch is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

thats bad ass

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Why the hek you driving over 4k rpms? What are you, a street racer? LOL
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sheasekhatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2010, 05:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 jamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

that looks awesome. i dont think i would trust myself to lay it down straight. seems like it would be rear easy to turn into disaster. how much is the cloth?

"The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." - Patrick Henry
jamato0331 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 05:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 10 l337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatness

cloth was about $60 on eBay and $150 in resin
A lot cheaper than the prefabbed overlays at $600-$800 + shipping
Old 11-20-2010, 05:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 Jomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Woah, looks cool. Maybe something I would probably do this in the future as a project. How does the finish product look?
Some people do turn their car into artwork. Others turn their car into macaroni glued onto construction paper.
Jomama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2010, 05:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car is dirty I wiped off the dust with random all surface cleaner.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Formerly 95RedVXCivic

Rep Power: 11 Sarge is almost a somebodySarge is almost a somebodySarge is almost a somebodySarge is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Sarge

would be even better to make a mold and replace the metal roof with the cf!

Need and ecu converted/chipped/socketed? PM me.

Speed cost, how fast can you afford to go?

"While it is legal for the police to lie, they may not unreasonably pressure a suspect to commit a crime."

My for sale thread!
Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2010, 08:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
They call me Awesome!

Rep Power: 38 awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

Also there's Neffywrap.com...

Have you checked
today?

Don't get your feelings hurt over some idiot's personal opinion, especially MINE!!!
awebb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2010, 08:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95RedVXCivic View Post
would be even better to make a mold and replace the metal roof with the cf!
Yes and my thought was to do that and sell replacements make some money but unfortunately the cost to make a mold would be about $300 and shipping would have to go truck freight would people really pay? $200 in materials cost $400 sale price...$200 truck freight?
Old 11-20-2010, 09:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Formerly 95RedVXCivic

Rep Power: 11 Sarge is almost a somebodySarge is almost a somebodySarge is almost a somebodySarge is almost a somebody

Quote:
Originally Posted by l337h4l View Post
Yes and my thought was to do that and sell replacements make some money but unfortunately the cost to make a mold would be about $300 and shipping would have to go truck freight would people really pay? $200 in materials cost $400 sale price...$200 truck freight?
some people would buy it, but i don't think that many would, it would all depend on what the bottom dollar price they could be sold for would be i think. less than $500, i think it would sell ok, but anymore, i doubt it. really wouldn't be worth the investment in the mold, or the time really. +rep for you for a great job!

edit: how many layers did you lay?

"While it is legal for the police to lie, they may not unreasonably pressure a suspect to commit a crime."

My for sale thread!
Old 11-20-2010, 09:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 14 beanbandit is obviously a regularbeanbandit is obviously a regularbeanbandit is obviously a regularbeanbandit is obviously a regularbeanbandit is obviously a regularbeanbandit is obviously a regularbeanbandit is obviously a regularbeanbandit is obviously a regular

i was kinda leery of this when i saw the title... but actually I'm really diggin' it you do good work... shows in your finish... I'd like to see a pic panned out of the car... that cf roof prob looks pretty slick with the silver on the car oh... and rep for another Ohio folk

" Vinnie a.k.a One Two" -2010 Civic SI coupe (black)
" The Millennium Falcon " - 2007 Yamaha YZF R1 (charcoal)
" Mad Max " - 1999 Civic EX coupe (black)
" Suki " - 1993 Suzuki VS 1400 Intruder (black)(for sale)

My build thread
a.k.a. the mad o.c.d. painter thread lmao

beanbandit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2010, 09:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Formerly 95RedVXCivic

^
^
^
he found the golden engine at the end of the rainbow! lol.

My for sale thread!
Old 11-20-2010, 09:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 14 beanbandit is obviously a regularbeanbandit is obviously a regularbeanbandit is obviously a regularbeanbandit is obviously a regularbeanbandit is obviously a regularbeanbandit is obviously a regularbeanbandit is obviously a regularbeanbandit is obviously a regular

yup... you know how hard that was to wrassle away from those damn leprechauns!!!

My build thread

Old 11-20-2010, 09:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Formerly 95RedVXCivic

as long as they weren't the rainbow colored leprechauns it couldn't have been too hard, the rainbow colored ones are the ones you have to watch out for, they carry knives!

My for sale thread!
Old 11-20-2010, 10:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

no they were garden variety leprechauns... but shit my shins hurt.... those lil bastards have a vicious kick!!! lmao actually if you look through my build I have a real painting problem... can't leave anything setting around me for too long or I'll tear it down and paint it another color!!! hahahahaha!!! anywho... I'll stop thread jackin' with leprechaun stories now

My build thread

Old 11-21-2010, 05:20 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95RedVXCivic View Post
some people would buy it, but i don't think that many would, it would all depend on what the bottom dollar price they could be sold for would be i think. less than $500, i think it would sell ok, but anymore, i doubt it. really wouldn't be worth the investment in the mold, or the time really. +rep for you for a great job!

edit: how many layers did you lay?
1 Layer of cloth
Old 11-21-2010, 07:36 AM   #17 (permalink)
Well.......

Rep Power: 31 2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

flipping awesome man.... question you think this could be done to fenders and such? rep'd man
your mother should spank your butt and put you in time out.

2drz6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2010, 08:01 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2drz6 View Post
flipping awesome man.... question you think this could be done to fenders and such? rep'd man
oh kno we will see a whole cf car on the D here soon lmao j/k

EG6-ZCSWAP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2010, 08:20 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2drz6 View Post
Yes CF will wrap on anything I even wrapped a guys valve cover for him. Its just a lot of sanding like I said its like sanding steel to a polish.
I have seen a whole CF wrapped CRX on eBay it took the guy like 8 months of daily work to finish it. And if you do the math its almost cheaper than some high end paint jobs.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:29 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series lover

I like this, I really want to see some pics from a distance...How do you keep water from getting up underneath the overlay?
acetobe55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in