DIY: Front & Rear Tow hook Install on 92-95 Civic (W/ Pictures!) - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2010, 05:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 Jomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Thumbs up DIY: Front & Rear Tow hook Install on 92-95 Civic (W/ Pictures!)

Here's my complete DIY installation of Front & Back tow hook on my hatch. I couldn't find one anywhere on google. Most of them said to drill and cut the front bumper support frame, but look no further! This will take only 15-30 minutes of your precious time. This is my first time making a DIY so I hope you guys like it. REPs accepted

Link to the seller I bought it from: http://stores.ebay.com/feifei-lyt/_i..._sid=206604956

Tools needed for this installation:
1. Wrench
2. 19mm Socket
4. Screw driver
5. Beverage of your taste.
6. Front & back tow hook with the bolts it came with.

I ordered mine off ebay for about $35 shipped. I didn't feel like paying over $100 for a password jdm or benen tow hooks.
I went with the Titanium silver.

Step 1: Start by using the screw driver to take off the metal piece holding the front bumper.

Step 2: After you unscrew all 4, I only have 2 holding mine, remove the metal piece and put it aside somewhere with the screws so you don't lose them.

Step 3: You can either jack up the front of your car a little bit or put your key in the ignition and turn the wheel all the way to the left or right.

Step 4: Now we can start on the last 2 plastic bolts holding the front bumper on the fender. Now mine are gone so I used zip ties which was easier. You can do the same if you like.

Some people do turn their car into artwork. Others turn their car into macaroni glued onto construction paper.

Last edited by Jomama; 11-15-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Jomama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2010, 05:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 Jomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regular

Step 5: After removing the plastic bolts/zip ties, you can take off your front bumper and put it aside somewhere safe.

Step 6: After removing the bumper and putting it away, go straight to the bumper support frame and look under. There should be some holes where you can mount your front tow hook. Pick either left, middle, or right. I chose the left side because my license plate was mounted on the right.

Some people do turn their car into artwork. Others turn their car into macaroni glued onto construction paper.

Last edited by Jomama; 11-15-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Step 7: Take your screw with washer and go behind the bumper support. It's a bit tight for those who have bigger hands. Make sure you get your screw in the hole and it should look like this.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Step 8: Now get a hold of your front tow hook and the dome looking piece with a washer and the nut ready to be put on. Make sure the dome goes on first, then the tow hook, and lastly the washer and nut.

Dome piece on top.

Washer on bottom.

End result.

You will need to hand tighten the nut on to secure the tow hook in place. Once its hand tightened, straighten out the tow hook.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Step 9: Get your wrench and 19mm socket ready to do some wrenchin. Hold the tow hook in place and tighten.

Step 10: Once you have tightened the nut, start putting the front bumper back in place. Make sure you slide it on going through the 1st top of the front grill on the bumper. If you have yours cut out then its not a problem.

Check to see how you like the way it comes out. If you want it more out you can adjust it to your liking.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Step 11: Once you're all done, start reassembling everything else back in place. Don't forget the metal plate.

Step 12: Take a step back and take a look at all the hard work you did on the front and pat yourself in the back! Congratulations, you have just completed installing the front tow hook!

Last edited by Jomama; 11-15-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Now for the Rear, It's pretty self explanatory. Use common sense that your brain has and look at how mine is positioned. Do the same and pat yourself in the back for accomplishing such hard work.

All you need for tools is the wrench and and the 19mm socket.

ALL DONE!

End result in dirtiness, a 1/10.

Note: At the end of everything you will have 1 screw, washer, dome piece, and nut left. Just put it away for extra.

Last edited by Jomama; 11-15-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
i save your ass when you wreck

H2Bcivic Still a JDM Star....H2Bcivic Still a JDM Star....H2Bcivic Still a JDM Star....H2Bcivic Still a JDM Star....H2Bcivic Still a JDM Star....H2Bcivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 25 reviews
Send a message via AIM to H2Bcivic

wow i cant believe you posted this lmao..but rep anyways
94 cx hatch: d16z6 same mods with 55 shot [email protected]
94 cx hatch: H2B JDM H22, b16lsd tranny +mods
1/4 - 11.719
MPH - 114.93
94 cx hatch: N/A b18c TBA
02 mustang gt: quick

Nitrous is like a hot girl with an STD... you wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences
H2Bcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2010, 06:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 stevenarroyo is a name known to allstevenarroyo is a name known to allstevenarroyo is a name known to allstevenarroyo is a name known to allstevenarroyo is a name known to allstevenarroyo is a name known to allstevenarroyo is a name known to allstevenarroyo is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

i always wanted to know how the front hook gets bolted on thanks
rep for you!
o and i will be buying the tow hooks from ebay soon but for 96-98 civic i will post pictures when i do it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
stevenarroyo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2010, 06:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2Bcivic View Post
wow i cant believe you posted this lmao..but rep anyways

Haha, that's because I had nothing to do. Thanks for the rep!
Old 11-15-2010, 06:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenarroyo View Post
i always wanted to know how the front hook gets bolted on thanks
rep for you!
o and i will be buying the tow hooks from ebay soon but for 96-98 civic i will post pictures when i do it
Thanks! I'm glad it helped a fellow member.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
i save your ass when you wreck

H2Bcivic Still a JDM Star....H2Bcivic Still a JDM Star....H2Bcivic Still a JDM Star....H2Bcivic Still a JDM Star....H2Bcivic Still a JDM Star....H2Bcivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 25 reviews
Send a message via AIM to H2Bcivic

i think if you had a trunk monkey, tow hooks in a package, and a 19mm wrench...you could press the button, the monkey would get out with the wrench, see the tow hooks and know exactly how to install them haha have to give you a bad time..i bet it took longer to make the DIY then it did to install them huh
94 cx hatch: d16z6 same mods with 55 shot [email protected]
94 cx hatch: H2B JDM H22, b16lsd tranny +mods
1/4 - 11.719
MPH - 114.93
94 cx hatch: N/A b18c TBA
02 mustang gt: quick

Nitrous is like a hot girl with an STD... you wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences
H2Bcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2010, 06:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2Bcivic View Post
i think if you had a trunk monkey, tow hooks in a package, and a 19mm wrench...you could press the button, the monkey would get out with the wrench, see the tow hooks and know exactly how to install them haha have to give you a bad time..i bet it took longer to make the DIY then it did to install them huh
HAHAHA! Yeah, it took me like an hour to do the DIY write up.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
Pew Pew!

Rep Power: 23 Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Sammo115

What the hell. Your rebar already have holes in them? I had to drill into mine -____- but sadly I had to take the front off. Wont clear the fmic.
Sammo115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2010, 09:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammo115 View Post
What the hell. Your rebar already have holes in them? I had to drill into mine -____- but sadly I had to take the front off. Wont clear the fmic.
It could be because my model was made in Canada? And its a 93? Im not sure if all 92-95 civics have them or not. Or it could be where the car was manufactured from? I have no clue, but if anyone with a 92-95 civic could check all theirs too then it should solve the case.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:03 PM   #16 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Good diy it doesn't get any simpler than that.
Prime-EH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2010, 07:57 PM   #17 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ImThaBean

Simple and easy DIY. I think most people forgo the front tow hook cause they don't know how to install it. You made it easy and quick. I would suggest to anyone that plans on using the front tow hook to be pulled (towed) that you drill the 2 holes needed to bolt down the hook properly. If you plan on just getting the hook to rock it, then this DIY is where its at.
ImThaBean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2010, 09:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImThaBean View Post
Simple and easy DIY. I think most people forgo the front tow hook cause they don't know how to install it. You made it easy and quick. I would suggest to anyone that plans on using the front tow hook to be pulled (towed) that you drill the 2 holes needed to bolt down the hook properly. If you plan on just getting the hook to rock it, then this DIY is where its at.
Thanks. It's on pretty tight. I mean, I can't turn it anymore to tighten it. If you want to use both holes, you can just drill 1 hole next to the hole thats already there for you and use both. But just got to make sure your hook is straight before doing that.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:13 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 12 jmsplitfyre is learning the way of the Djmsplitfyre is learning the way of the D

I wonder if the 96-00 bumper supports are the same? I've always thought that you need to cut something for the front one to be mounted.
jmsplitfyre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2010, 02:43 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsplitfyre View Post
I wonder if the 96-00 bumper supports are the same? I've always thought that you need to cut something for the front one to be mounted.
Not sure, maybe you can be the first to post a DIY for the 96-00 civics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in