DIY Valve Spring Compressor for FREE for DOHC ZC - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2010, 03:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....
iTrader Score: 47 reviews
Default DIY Valve Spring Compressor for FREE for DOHC ZC

Hey, I was over at a friends house and he what swapping out his valve springs and I noticed the valve spring compressor he was using was just like mine. I said did you make that, and he said no he bought it on ebay for $80, and I said I made mine for free (exact same as his). If you got a DOHC ZC or any DOHC VTEC head you know how the valve springs are tucked was down into the head, and there is very valve spring compressors that work. On the SOHC it's very easy. I saw these pictures a few years ago and said this will make valve spring removal alot easier:

But these were $80-$100, why? I could make my own. So I took a steel pipe I had lying around that was slightly smaller than the retainer. I cut it down to about an 1" long and welded an end on it. and then cut out a section of it about half way around so you could reach in and get the keepers out. It looked like this (just sprayed some rustoleum on it)

I also made a plate from 1/8" aluminum that bolted to the cam cap bolt holes so that there was a bolt that was threaded through the plate so as you tighten the bolt it compresses the spring (perfect for when the head is still on the car). But I lost it recently and don't have the time right now to make another one. It was just like the one in the pics above. Recently I needed to replace my valve seals and the head was off the car so I used the pipe and glued it to a c-clamp (temporary) and just compress the spring that way like a normal spring compressor. Worked perfectly. This all cost me $0.00 and took less than an hour to make (including the plate, it could look alot nicer if I took some more time to clean it up). Why go and buy something for over $70 when you could make it yourself for free?

Last edited by ZCHONDACRX91; 11-15-2010 at 04:40 PM.
ZCHONDACRX91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2010, 09:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

nice diy man

i'll be doing this soon

rep for you
Old 11-16-2010, 07:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....

Thanks.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 Kyred is starting to learn the ropesKyred is starting to learn the ropesKyred is starting to learn the ropesKyred is starting to learn the ropesKyred is starting to learn the ropesKyred is starting to learn the ropesKyred is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 21 reviews

Nice! For the SOHC you can do basically the same thing with a C clamp. I was planning to do a write up soon. Just did it a week ago!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kyred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2010, 01:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyred View Post
Nice! For the SOHC you can do basically the same thing with a C clamp. I was planning to do a write up soon. Just did it a week ago!
Well the SOHC are alot easier to get to and you can use just a c-clamp, but on the DOHC heads you can't get anything bigger than the size of the retainer in there. I use my $10 harbor freight OHV compressor tool for the SOHC, but can't use it on the DOHC. Good to see people making use of the tools they got.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in