DIY Engine Removal - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2010, 01:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
FF Misfit

Rep Power: 26 boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!
boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 24 reviews
Send a message via AIM to boostdelinquent Send a message via MSN to boostdelinquent Send a message via Yahoo to boostdelinquent
Default DIY Engine Removal

I was pulling my HF's 8v for the B7 swap and got bored so I decided to do a write-up for noobs to use. This is a pretty simple process and doesn't require a whole lot to do.

Materials:

Sockets (10-20 and a 32mm for the axles)
Ratchets
Wrenches
Hammer
Ball Joint Seperator
Jack
Jack Stands
Wire Cutters
Screwdriver
5/16 Punch (bitch pin removal)
Cherry Picker

Those are the basic tools you need. I have a few extras I use but they're not necessary in most cases. Now onto the swap. I took a combo of video and pics every so often so just about everything should be covered.

First get the car on jack stands. I also like to put my wheels under the sides of the car as extra protection in case anything falls. I also like having it up since it helps you avoid leaning over as much and getting a sore back.

Once the car is up. I remove the battery, battery tray, and intake piping. The battery requires a 10mm socket and the battery tray is a 10 and has 1 12mm iirc.

Part 1

YouTube - Engine Removal Part 1

Once you have that done go ahead and unplug the wiring harness for the engine from the chassis harness at the strut towers.

Part 2

YouTube - Engine Removal Part 2

This fuel feedline to the fuel rail is a 17mm.

I also forgot to mention to disconnect the fuel return line here.

Part 3

YouTube - Engine Removal Part 3

After that is done I like to take care of everything underneath the car before pulling any coolant hoses. This includes unbolting the header, disconnecting the shift linkage, and removing the axles.

Part 4

YouTube - Engine Removal Part 4

Part 5

YouTube - Engine Removal Part 5

Once that is taken care of you can pull the axles. This only takes 2 bolts to do. One is the 32mm axle bolt and the other is the 17mm lower ball joint bolt.

Part 6

YouTube - Engine Removal Part 6

I usually position the floor jack right about here when I jack up the LCA. This helps to keep the ball joint from spinning when you go to unbolt it.

Part 7

YouTube - Engine Removal Part 7

Once the ball joint and axle nuts are removed, you can then pop the axles out.

Part 8

YouTube - Engine Removal Part 8

Once the axles are pulled you're done underneath the car. From here you can disconnect the vacumn and coolant lines.

Part 9

YouTube - Engine Removal Part 9

Part 10

YouTube - Engine Removal Part 10

Once all of this is done, the engine should be out.

That's b/c he is a BAMF son haven't you seen his other threads? He drinks cocktails all day long and sits by the pool. That whole "chuck norris is a badass" thing is a true story based off of Jakes life.

You don't know? Better ask somebody.

Last edited by boostdelinquent; 11-12-2010 at 01:49 PM.
boostdelinquent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2010, 01:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
FF Misfit

Rep Power: 26 boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!
boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to boostdelinquent Send a message via MSN to boostdelinquent Send a message via Yahoo to boostdelinquent

Can someone let me know if my embedded links are working. It's just showing code for me.
That's b/c he is a BAMF son haven't you seen his other threads? He drinks cocktails all day long and sits by the pool. That whole "chuck norris is a badass" thing is a true story based off of Jakes life.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 dominican_civic will become famous soon enoughdominican_civic will become famous soon enoughdominican_civic will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to dominican_civic

some links are not working

Old 11-12-2010, 01:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
FF Misfit

I swapped them all to links to the site instead of the embedded links.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

i cant get it to embed either sorry mang.

cool write up tho!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2010, 02:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 18 Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

[.youtube]B1dQQKIi4Qw[/youtube]

Without the . gives you this:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sentry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2010, 11:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
I no longer haz teh pink eye! Iz got STINK EYE

Rep Power: 20 Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!
Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Bumpysbro

should of kept the d15b6 in there hah jk cool write up should help alot of people.
Quote:
I want your whale penis
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I almost had you man....you almost had me? You never had me..You never had your car LOL
Bumpysbro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2010, 08:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Who says you need an engine lift to remove an engine. lol
89jdm sohc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2010, 09:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 Turbs-McGee is almost a somebodyTurbs-McGee is almost a somebodyTurbs-McGee is almost a somebodyTurbs-McGee is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Awesome information, thank you!
Old 11-30-2010, 06:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 jamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

nice thread, very useful stuff.

"The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." - Patrick Henry
jamato0331 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2010, 06:42 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 11 wolf95 will become famous soon enoughwolf95 will become famous soon enoughwolf95 will become famous soon enough

now you just need to do a write up on how to get the engine back INTO the bay without scratching up your new paint..... >_<

93 Prelude- H22A
90 civic Si-b18a1

Quote:
I used to hurt feelings with my SOHC Honda shitbox. Who cares what they think. Race them and take their money. Then youll be known as the kid with the fast Honda. Everyone and their mother will get wet and want to give oral.

wolf95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2010, 07:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 b16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

good work man
b16racereg6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2010, 09:26 AM   #13 (permalink)

An extra friend really helps move the process along quickly also!

Scottmog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Location: The Birthplace of Hot Rodding, Southern California. Suicide Riverside to be exact.
Rep Power: 20 maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!
maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

HTML is not allowed in this section of the Forum, thats why you cant embed the videos. But great write up! I`ll need it for future use.

maverick75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2010, 11:15 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

90dirtydsi It's a JDM Star Bitches....90dirtydsi It's a JDM Star Bitches....90dirtydsi It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

good writeup!

RIP
90dirtydsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2010, 11:50 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 xylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcano
xylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 26 reviews

great info, very useful for when we all get around to doing that someday
+rep
xylocramer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2010, 02:20 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 tron is a name known to alltron is a name known to alltron is a name known to alltron is a name known to alltron is a name known to alltron is a name known to alltron is a name known to alltron is a name known to alltron is a name known to alltron is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

very useful for members who are thinking of pulling their engines. i remember when i first pulled my motor i thought it was going to be super difficult and complicated. 2-3 hours later me and a friend had that thing sitting on a tire in the garage

tron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2010, 03:46 AM   #18 (permalink)
Well.......

Rep Power: 31 2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

great write up, i did mine with no cherry picker only jack stands and a walmart jack, and acourse the hand tools required, o and 2 buddies=)
your mother should spank your butt and put you in time out.

2drz6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2010, 08:20 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 11 wolf95 will become famous soon enoughwolf95 will become famous soon enoughwolf95 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2drz6 View Post
great write up, i did mine with no cherry picker only jack stands and a walmart jack, and acourse the hand tools required, o and 2 buddies=)
I did the same. Tends to work better with a cherry picker AND those 2 friends

93 Prelude- H22A
90 civic Si-b18a1

Quote:
I used to hurt feelings with my SOHC Honda shitbox. Who cares what they think. Race them and take their money. Then youll be known as the kid with the fast Honda. Everyone and their mother will get wet and want to give oral.

wolf95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2010, 09:19 AM   #20 (permalink)
FF Misfit

I don't think I've ever had help with a swap. For some reason it seems I'm the guy w/ the tools everyone comes to when they need help, but as a general rule I prefer to work on my own.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in