DIY Glowing Console For Your EK! - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Ľ D-series Knowledge Factory Ľ DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 04:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Rep Power: 10 tiksie is learning the way of the Dtiksie is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default DIY Glowing Console For Your EK!

Disclaimer: The following are provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself. nor the original writer, nor D-series.org take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim:
To have a small light to light up your centre console in your EK (can be done on other cars that have similar console designs).

Time Required:
About 1 hour

Tools required:
Wire Strippers
Electrical Tape
Solder (Optional)
Scissors/Pliers
Small Neon/LED Strip (about 50mm long 5-10mm wide)
Screwdriver
Drill with small drill bit
Super Glue (or double sided adhesive)

Step 1:
Remove screws holding the centre console in place, there are about 6 screws around the gear stick, after you remove that, now you will remove this piece:

This is held on by 8 screws, 4 on the left and 4 on the right. It's best to have a cordless, if you don't have one, then bad luck I suppose, you're wrists will hurt!

Step 2:
Remove your headunit or get access to the RED & BLACK (Ignition & Ground to power up your Light source).

Weíre choosing the red wire so it the light turns on when your ignition is on, it is possible to make a switch aswell if you like but I didnít go that far as I donít mind if the light is on even in the day.

You can even wire it up so it turns on when your headlights are on, but once again, this way is much more simple as you donít have to fiddle around under the steering coloumn.

Step 3:
After you have removed all of the screws, go ahead and remove the centre console out of its place.

After you remove it, turn it around and look at it from behind:

You're going to want to drill 2 holes that are big enough to squeeze your positive and negative wire through to power up your light.

Here is the position I did it in, because my neon's wiring is from the side, rather from the middle:

Step 4:

Feed your positive/negative wire through the holes so you can mount your light in the position you want:

Mount your Light in the position you want, you can either use superglue like I did or you can use double-sided adhesive to stick it onto position.

(Please note the console is upside down in this photo)

Iíve had bad experiences with using double sided adhesive before as when the inside of the car gets hot during summer, it tends to fall off out of place, so Iíd rather do it this way to save the hassle later down the track.

After you're done, it should look something like this when it's sitting right:
tiksie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2010, 04:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

Rep Power: 10 tiksie is learning the way of the Dtiksie is learning the way of the D

Step 5:
Mount your centre console back in but don’t screw it in yet.
Feed your Light’s wires through to your headunit harness and connect the positive to the RED wire and the negative to the BLACK wire, just splice it in along with your headunits wiring to your OEM harness. Just connect them together in other words.

If you look at the photo, you will see the hole where your headunit should be, just make sure your wires are long enough and push them down there until you can get it from the bottom and wire it up before you put everything back together.

If you’re not connecting it to your headunits harness, the OEM colours are as follows (Thanks to ECU-MAN for the pin-out):

You will need to connect positive to YELLOW WITH RED STRIPE and negative to BLACK.

Step 6:
After you have spliced your Light’s wires into your Ignition wire (not the power source, just ignition) & Negative, put everything back to place and screw everything back in and mount your headunit back on.

And that’s all there is to it!

Here are the results:

Not bad for a 1 hour job. I was being lazy though and having cigarette breaks, so you might be able to do it faster than that.

I found the Neon in my shed, been sitting there for ages so I thought I’d make use of it some how, so I thought of this preety simple DIY as I was annoyed that the console was always so dark at night, I couldn’t see if my smokes/phone/wallet were there or not.

Enjoy guys
Old 11-11-2010, 04:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
ministry of mayhem!

Rep Power: 48 eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to eddcartes Send a message via Yahoo to eddcartes

i hate neons in interiors, but for some reason i like this very much. rep for a nicely done diy.
Evil spirits beautiful naked girl live boobs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
I mess with cars because it's more socially acceptable than a cocaine habit ... although the cocaine would probably be cheaper.
Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #666!
rip emilio gallardo (milo). outstanding father, spouse, friend and member of dso. you will always be missed.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rip, patprimmer. last of the titans.

one thing i've learned from this job is to always keep a pack of cheese for your whine.

my ED6 build thread:

my dyno compe build:

eddcartes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 04:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Defender of the D

Rep Power: 19 Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!
Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 50 reviews

Cool DIY.. but uhh where'd that clock to the left of the radio?
Quote:
to put the words all motor d16 and beast in the same sentence is pretty funny LOL , go boost if you want a beast, the best you can hope for NA is a kitten.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrain T.
If it's not a Honda, Its a Nissan
Dmod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2010, 04:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 Save/Sohc is fly like an eagleSave/Sohc is fly like an eagleSave/Sohc is fly like an eagleSave/Sohc is fly like an eagleSave/Sohc is fly like an eagleSave/Sohc is fly like an eagleSave/Sohc is fly like an eagleSave/Sohc is fly like an eagleSave/Sohc is fly like an eagleSave/Sohc is fly like an eagleSave/Sohc is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Dude bro dont you know? JDM CLOCK! Lol I agree im never a fan of neons in( or under) a car but this looks clean and isnt overdone. + 1 of those reps sir!
Build me a sandwich.
But if we are talking about motors then listen to these other guys
91 Cubic Inches of Muscle!
Save/Sohc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2010, 04:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

Where'd that clock to the left of the radio ?

Oh, It's an Australian model 1996 EK CXi model.

How does the USDM ones look ?

These are standard in Aus delivered EK's.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

I hate neons aswell, but I just found this in the shed, and the dark console just kept pissing me off hence why I tryed so hard to not show the neon at all, just the light is fine thanks lol
Old 11-11-2010, 05:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
1.8 nawz powa

Rep Power: 38 Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 58 reviews

i like this mod just because it help light up the console to see what you need, if it was closer to white then blue it would look less "ricey" but i still like the mod. next time you might wanna look into leds due to them being smaller
Old 11-11-2010, 07:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

You would have to switch position of the CD played and clock... Would be a cool little write up.. maybe just the whole panal could be replaced and switch everything around but I dont know but would be cool.....

hidenplanvew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2010, 07:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
insert user title here

Rep Power: 51 drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to drunkinmaster1 Send a message via Yahoo to drunkinmaster1

i actually like it. not that gaudy and is actually kinda functionable. just a dash of rice
drunkinmaster1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2010, 09:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cxm
D-series soldier

Cxm It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to Cxm Send a message via AIM to Cxm Send a message via MSN to Cxm Send a message via Yahoo to Cxm

i like it too, i did something similar with led's, also in my truck. rice or not i drive at night a lot and this helps to locate stuff on my black carpet...like my phone charger and inverter etc.
Cxm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2010, 09:36 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 cmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

thats actually not bad,i would have covered about 1/2 of the exposed neon bulb with paint or electrical tap to limit how much light it kicks out (since it looks rather bright, and I would think it might be a lil too bright at night)

Quote:
cmgogo for gov. of California
Yeah... i'm THAT awesome
cmgogo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2010, 09:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
Pew Pew!

Rep Power: 23 Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Sammo115

Nicely done! And damn you have a clean dash hahaha.

Oh and those clocks, in the US 96-98 Models never came with one. its just a pocket.

So glad I found me a clock though. =) Does the the aussie version light up amber or white?

Last edited by Sammo115; 11-11-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Sammo115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2010, 01:38 PM   #14 (permalink)

It lights up amber.

If I had LED's or some white light I would've used that, but I found this in the shed so nothing better than a free light lol.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Live,love,laugh,be real

Rep Power: 39 4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 20 reviews

GOD DAMN FUK'N RICE BULLSHIZZY...

where do i get the light? how much? lol

R.I.P. my mom - I miss you
10/3/1945-6/16/2007

R.I.P. - MiloReaper & Pat Primmer

96' CE1 Lx - Wags

04' Pilot EXL - Black Pile - Love it

is your friend, try it

[youtube ][ /youtube]

4Door is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2010, 05:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 Mayfieldfour is starting to learn the ropesMayfieldfour is starting to learn the ropesMayfieldfour is starting to learn the ropesMayfieldfour is starting to learn the ropesMayfieldfour is starting to learn the ropesMayfieldfour is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

nicely done write-up. Well written, informative pictures... Thumbs up to you.

Now if we can just get you to get the steering wheel back on the right side of the car, we'll be set!
Mayfieldfour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2010, 05:45 PM   #17 (permalink)

It is on the right side of the car :P
Old 11-11-2010, 05:46 PM   #18 (permalink)

4door,

I'm sure you can use this aswell, would be easier to stick on aswell and more discreet and flexible to use:

White color 500cm 5m 1210 SMD LED Flex Strip Waterproof - eBay (item 130451517861 end time Dec-04-10 04:50:10 PST)

I'm sure you can get smaller lengths, like 10cm, you only really need about 4-5cm of it.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:55 PM   #19 (permalink)
Cxm
D-series soldier

Cxm It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to Cxm Send a message via AIM to Cxm Send a message via MSN to Cxm Send a message via Yahoo to Cxm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiksie View Post
4door,

I'm sure you can use this aswell, would be easier to stick on aswell and more discreet and flexible to use:

White color 500cm 5m 1210 SMD LED Flex Strip Waterproof - eBay (item 130451517861 end time Dec-04-10 04:50:10 PST)

I'm sure you can get smaller lengths, like 10cm, you only really need about 4-5cm of it.

yeah that stuff works, i use it in pc cases all the time
Cxm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2010, 06:05 PM   #20 (permalink)
\/ apply baby lotion here \/

Rep Power: 46 Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 136 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayfieldfour View Post
Now if we can just get you to get the steering wheel back on the right side of the car, we'll be set!
wtf? It's perfect where it's at! lolz

Pata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in