DIY thermal intake manifold gasket - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 10:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 14 roberts is almost a somebodyroberts is almost a somebodyroberts is almost a somebodyroberts is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Thumbs up DIY thermal intake manifold gasket

Decided to make one and share with you guys!

Some time ago I noticed in local shop thermal gasket sheets. They weren't cheap, but I thought it would be for future needs and bought smallest sheet available (which was about 1.5x1.5 meters and 2mm thick). Paid about $90 for it.. It is called "TEMAC" Temaplus (http://www.temac.cz/produkt.aspx?pid=6)

Tools / materials needed:
* sharp knife
* gasket material
* dremel (desirable)
* hammer
* pen

1. First thing to do is take intake manifold and measure approximate flange dimensions (add 1cm on each side), draw rectangle on gasket sheet and cut it out with sharp knife.

2. Put intake manifold with flange on gasket rectangle you just cut and draw shape of flange on gasket.

3. One of the the most important part is to mark stud holes correctly, because you want them to be aligned perfect to fit gasket on head afterwards. I marked them with paintbrush and white paint through flange holdes. Then I made some sort of hole cutter from this little inline skate wheel/ bearing spacer and sharpened edges with dremel. Then I put it on necessary stud places and knocked out material with hammer and self made cutter.

4. I compared some brand names thermal gaskets like Hondata, GE, Blox, OBX and noticed Hondata (which I assume is the best) uses more spare material around ports. I found it to be good idea, because you have more area covered from head to intake manifold.
SO what I did.. I took pen and added ~0,5-1cm on manifold flange drawing and more cm other places where I found to be necessary.

5. Then I took old intake manifold gasket, matched stud holes with new and marked intake port shapes and coolant hole. Then drawed ~0.5cm smaller ports free with my hand so I can cut out with confidence. Cut out those smaller port marks and coolant port with sharp knife.

6. Take your intake manifold and put new gasket on flange and make sure stud holes are aligned with gasket stud holes you cut earlier. I took some 8mm bolts and taped them a bit to put them through new gasket in flange stud holes to make sure they won't offset.

7. Take dremel and cut out exact intake port shape and coolant line if you didn't cut ecact hole!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by roberts; 10-05-2010 at 10:30 PM.
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2010, 10:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 14 roberts is almost a somebodyroberts is almost a somebodyroberts is almost a somebodyroberts is almost a somebody

Everything looks good

You see more gasket material sticking out of flange

8. Put gasket back on cylinder head and see if everything is aligned good

9. Install intake manifold, tighten the nuts and you are done! Congratulate yourself with new thermal intake gasket! Now take your honda for a ride.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
rdc
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 12 rdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow up
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to rdc Send a message via MSN to rdc Send a message via Skype™ to rdc

Nice.
We are doing something similar with PTFE again not cheap.
3mm thick and laser cut. Rep for such a superb job and the pics.
Are you going to log the changes in IAT after adding this ?
If you are im in for the results.

rdc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 05:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 ar151666 is learning the way of the Dar151666 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

wow, very nice diy right thur
Old 10-06-2010, 05:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 98dxNooby is da #1 stunna98dxNooby is da #1 stunna98dxNooby is da #1 stunna98dxNooby is da #1 stunna98dxNooby is da #1 stunna98dxNooby is da #1 stunna98dxNooby is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Great writeup! How does this benefit someone over buying say a hondata or other brand of thermal I'm gasket?

Edit* post 600

Edit#2* just read it was 1.5m x 1.5m...how many gaskets do you think you would be able to make?

Build thread and FS Thread soon to come

Should you buy a kit or piece one together???--->

Last edited by 98dxNooby; 10-06-2010 at 05:28 AM.
98dxNooby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2010, 06:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Glad you like my writeup!

Well, I don't really know how much exactly I can make out of that sheet, but I guess more than 50 easy. And it's not just intake manifold gasket. I can make throttle body to manifold gasket and similar if I need it. I will sell pieces of material for sure to my friends and other Honda members here in my country if they will need some. Actually I would be glad to spend $10-15 for just small sheet of this gasket material instead of spending $90 and holding it in my apartment. It's just 1.5x1.5 meters was smallest available.

rdc: As for temperature changes. Too bad I didn't take any measurements of intake temperature before, but from what I can tell I can feel the difference with my hand when I put it on manifold! It is noticeably cooler.

Last edited by roberts; 10-06-2010 at 06:07 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 98dxNooby is da #1 stunna98dxNooby is da #1 stunna98dxNooby is da #1 stunna98dxNooby is da #1 stunna98dxNooby is da #1 stunna98dxNooby is da #1 stunna98dxNooby is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

That's awesome I'm definitely gonna look into this

Build thread and FS Thread soon to come

Should you buy a kit or piece one together???--->

98dxNooby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2010, 06:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

now do a tb to mani gasket!

very nice diy i like!
spelts-face is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2010, 06:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....patprimmer Still a JDM Star....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdc View Post
Nice.
We are doing something similar with PTFE again not cheap.
3mm thick and laser cut. Rep for such a superb job and the pics.
Are you going to log the changes in IAT after adding this ?
If you are im in for the results.
Why PTFE. It is very expensive and very prone to cold flow which will cause it to allow the bolts to lose clamping force and come lose.

Nylon or fibreglass or even plywood soaked in polyester resin to seal the end grain would be a much better choice.

All plastic OEM manifolds are Glass Filled Nylon, mostly Nylon 6.6 because of it's good heat and cold flow resistance. They still use steel tubes moulded into the bolt holes to eliminate cold flow from allowing the bolts to come lose and create air leaks.

I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

Ignorance may be cured, stupid is forever.

my CRX thread

my intro

Last edited by patprimmer; 10-06-2010 at 06:29 AM.
patprimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2010, 06:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Pew Pew!

Rep Power: 23 Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Sammo115

Nicely done.
Sammo115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2010, 06:39 AM   #11 (permalink)

lkailburn It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

nice job! Dang, I was hoping to see back to back IAT's but o well. You should cut and sell these. Make a combo package for IM and TB gaskets too!

-Luke
y7 block, deburred Vitaras/FJT Ibeams, Stg4 P&P y8 head, ported and matched y8 IM, ITR tb, wrx urboTurb, ramhorn, jrc 5" fmic, 450's, 2.5" dp, 3" exhaust, clutch specialties stg2, act 12lb, rebuilt y8 tranny, S300. 221whp/201wtq

2005 Legacy GT

My D16 Build

lkailburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2010, 06:46 AM   #12 (permalink)
Canihazmoniez

zero183 is about to kiss the skyzero183 is about to kiss the skyzero183 is about to kiss the skyzero183 is about to kiss the skyzero183 is about to kiss the skyzero183 is about to kiss the skyzero183 is about to kiss the skyzero183 is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkailburn View Post
nice job! Dang, I was hoping to see back to back IAT's but o well. You should cut and sell these. Make a combo package for IM and TB gaskets too!

-Luke
bumped for truth!
#1 Sedan Hater
zero183 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2010, 06:51 AM   #13 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to chambores

helluva diy sir. i'm def in for the difference with the IAT.
chambores is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2010, 10:54 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 11 4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to 4D2Envy

Quote:

-Luke

"My Car Isn't Leaking Oil, It's Sweating Horsepower!"
4D2Envy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2010, 03:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 88CRX smells like Borat88CRX smells like Borat88CRX smells like Borat88CRX smells like Borat88CRX smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Dang! Baller status for not much money. I like!

Phi Alpha!
88CRX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2010, 03:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 88CRX smells like Borat88CRX smells like Borat88CRX smells like Borat88CRX smells like Borat88CRX smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Quote:

-Luke
That would be awesome, by the way. I'm sure a lot of lazy DIY'ers would buy some.

Phi Alpha!
88CRX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2010, 04:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Location: The Birthplace of Hot Rodding, Southern California. Suicide Riverside to be exact.
Rep Power: 20 maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!
maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!

If you want a free set of gasket hole cutters go to your nearest gun range and ask them for some empty shells in various sizes from 9mm up to .50cal. Be sure they have been fired though. Lol

maverick75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2010, 04:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 11 4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to 4D2Envy

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick75 View Post
If you want a free set of gasket hole cutters go to your nearest gun range and ask them for some empty shells in various sizes from 9mm up to .50cal. Be sure they have been fired though. Lol
Lol good idea.

"My Car Isn't Leaking Oil, It's Sweating Horsepower!"
4D2Envy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2010, 05:22 PM   #19 (permalink)

Rep Power: 11 NightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regular

anyone got some tech data showing these things even make a damn sight of difference?

Nice DIY none the less! Hella dope Intake mani. that Venom? Or Golden Eagle? or some custom piece?

"A turbocharger...exhaust gasses go in and spin the turbine, witchcraft happens and you go faster" - Jeremy Clarkson