Saftey Wire - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2010, 04:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 19 crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to crazymx6
Default Saftey Wire

So for the long awaited write up on safety wire that I was asked for lol

So tools needed
Safety wire .020 or .032 (i got mine from micheals lol)
Dykes
Needle nose pliers
Chanel locks
Bolts made for safety wire or a 1/16” drill bit to make your grade 8+ bolts ready for safety wire
And most importantly gloves (the wire WILL cut you)

So first thing is tq all bolts prior to wiring them
Next decide the easiest way to route the wire ie a clear straight path then route the wire through hole as seen in pic and start twisting.
A good safety will have 7-10 turns per inch;
Keep twisting until one strand will reach the hole in the second bolt
Once fed through (the tricky part this is usually when the wire will break) pull the wire tight but not too much or it will break,
Twist the wire in the opposite direction for about 2 inches, basically enough to loop it back around (look at pic for ref).
Then as in the pics loop back around

Then repeat for remaining bolt(s) needing wire

NOTE: never do more than 3 bolts in a row.
Always make sure the direction of the safety is in a “positive direction” meaning the wire will hold the bolt tight not loosen it….”lefty loosie, righty tighty”.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by crazymx6; 08-25-2010 at 04:55 PM.
crazymx6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2010, 04:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!

End result a proper "positive" saftey!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by crazymx6; 08-25-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

this safey is bad due to the fact the wire comes straight and does not wrap the bolt, increaced chance of the wire breaking due to vibration etc.

This saftey is bad, well because it will loosen the bolts.......DUH....lol

This one because the twisted saftey is in contact with the single strand....

JUST FOR CLAIRTY A IDEAL SAFTEY LOOKS LIKE THIS

Last edited by crazymx6; 08-25-2010 at 04:52 PM.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 18 Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

I can't imagine working in aviation and having to do this to every single fastener. I'd go postal haha.

Sentry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2010, 04:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

bman200437 It's a JDM Star Bitches....bman200437 It's a JDM Star Bitches....bman200437 It's a JDM Star Bitches....bman200437 It's a JDM Star Bitches....bman200437 It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 25 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to bman200437

awesome right up Rep for you!

88 civic standard hatch (R.I.P.)

90 civic dx hatch

Quote:
You definetly have a tranny issue and not the kind that makes you want to put on lipstick and womens clothing.
Quote:
first love= honda
second love=hand
third=girl!
bman200437 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2010, 04:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

you should have seen some of the places i had to do this.....on the + side i can do it pretty fast now lol

Old 08-25-2010, 05:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 443 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ryan89crx Send a message via MSN to ryan89crx

Good stuff

[email protected]
Xbox 360 gamertag -
TurboDiesel598

, best bang for your buck!

ryan89crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2010, 06:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 45 99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 32 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentry View Post
I can't imagine working in aviation and having to do this to every single fastener.
it wasnt one every SINGLE fastener.... some of them were snap/quick release fasteners

nice thread.

as always i am going interject something negative. i suggest before you start drilling all your bolts, you sit down and actually practice this.... and then have someone, who knows what they are doing, double check your work. after a few "passing" grades, start on the car. i have seen people at "local meets" with what looked like a birds nest of wire. the key is not who is the fastest, its doing it right the first time.

side note: even though i can safety wire, i refuse to. i have been stabbed way to many times. i rather just use lock washers then deal with the wire. the note of safety by the OP is dead on. your going to get cut/stabbed if your not wearing gloves.

99EJ6T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2010, 06:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Rep Power: 18 Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!

^Yeah but I had lock washers holding my turbo to my mani and they didn't lock for shit. Heat distorts them or something. Nuts backed off after a week of driving.

I replaced them with stover locknuts and it's been good ever since.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 45 99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentry View Post
^Yeah but I had lock washers holding my turbo to my mani and they didn't lock for shit.
really? mine didnt. hell, i needed to get more leverage on them to get them off then when i put them on! guess to each his own...

Old 08-25-2010, 06:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

I had the spring type though instead of the star type.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 20 boostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcano
boostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to boostfreak0885

just use some cheap bolts, that way when they rust, they wont vibrate themselves out

best time so far
11.201 at 128mph with a 1.79 60 foot.. damn i need traction, best trap speed is 129mph. 26psi h1c

NEW best 60' 1.56!!!
boostfreak0885 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2010, 06:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 443 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ryan89crx Send a message via MSN to ryan89crx

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfreak0885 View Post
just use some cheap bolts, that way when they rust, they wont vibrate themselves out
Or hammer a few of the threads deeper on the bolt. That way they start easy and then lock themselves in hahaha

[email protected]
Xbox 360 gamertag -
TurboDiesel598

, best bang for your buck!

ryan89crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2010, 06:43 PM   #14 (permalink)

crxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 24 reviews

Im sure you may already know but they make some sweet ass pliers for lacing wire. It makes life a lot easier when you gotta do a shit ton of bolts.
from here on out all will be healed due to the honda holy water (jb weld)

302hp/262TQ

crxlifer21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2010, 08:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
I survived code 9

Location: an imaginary place where chrome rims don't exist. Oh! Tennessee.
Milano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Milano_Redline

Wow, impressive work! Tedious for sure!

Milano_Redline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2010, 08:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxlifer21 View Post
Im sure you may already know but they make some sweet ass pliers for lacing wire. It makes life a lot easier when you gotta do a shit ton of bolts.
this is the tool he is referring to:

6" Safety Wire Twister

have to be careful not to "over twist" the wire using them. <- i was known for making 12-14 twists per inch when i was first learning how to do it. try doing 100 bolts 10 times cause you mess up one bolt half way through!

Old 08-25-2010, 08:37 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxlifer21 View Post
yes i do know of them but honestlly i despise them, they actually weaken the wire at the point into the second bolt.....imho its easier to do by hand.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series G0D

did you know you spelled safety wire, in the title, wrong?

just being an ass

Old 08-25-2010, 08:44 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99EJ6T View Post
did you know you spelled safety wire, in the title, wrong?

just being an ass
lol no i didnt actually......stupid typos

Old 08-25-2010, 09:00 PM   #20 (permalink)

crxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 24 reviews

I have never had a problem with the wire weakening from using the pliers. But I will keep that in mind. It starts to become a pain in the ass twisting it by hand when you have to do 80 bolts in a row like on a tank engine
from here on out all will be healed due to the honda holy water (jb weld)

302hp/262TQ

crxlifer21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in