DIY replace front hub bearings - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2010, 05:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 15 immajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default DIY replace front hub bearings

To start off I just bought a used 94 GSR and have been fixing many things, the latest was the wheel bearing was going. As everyone knows, the tried and true method is to remove the entire arm and get the hub and bearing pressed out with a press as well as the bearing pressed back in. If you don't have a press then the task becomes hard as you need to bring it to someone to get done while your car is out of commission. Well I heard about a tool that lets you do the job without a press and thought I should try it. It is called the hub tamer but there are other similar tools out there like the hub shark as well as cheaper copies without all the pieces and now I know why.

I ended up buying mine from the thetoolwarehouse.com, awesome place and unbelievably quick "free" shipping if you buy a certain amount. Now to the install...

Before you start, make sure you have all the necessary tools and parts. At a minumum you will need a new wheel bearing( I used OEM from Honda), C clip pliers(make sure they can work on c clips that are about 3", some can't), new axle nut(you can reuse but I usually do not as they are cheap and once you hammer in the top it sometimes is not possible to reuse), dremel with cutting wheel or similar, various ratchets and socket, socket for axle nut, for sockets, the hub tamer needs at least a 1" impact socket that most standard sets do not have, you also need larger but you can get buy without it as you will see, impact wrench( I use dewalt cordless), etc....

Here is the hub tamer and my impact wrench.

Here is the wheel before we start, jack up car, remove wheel

Remove, brake caliper and zip tie or metal wire it to something, remove caliper bracket, brakes pads, make sure you use impact socket on brake rotor screws, then remove the brake rotor.

Here is what it looks like after you remove the above mentioned items.

Next items you need to remove is the axle nut, usually this is on tight but mine came off with a blast of the impact gun, search elsewhere if yours is stuck for the varous other methods to get off, I suggest spraying some pb blaster and waiting before you try again. I did not take many pictures at this part because there are others elsewhere, but after you get the nut off you need to unbolt the lower shock fork attached to the arm, then unbolt the lower ball joint. When I went to do mine I noticed ther cotter pin was missing , remove the nut and use the We-Todds-method to break the ball joint free, it works so well, why do it any other way, for my method because I do not have a craftsman socket I used my mastercraft 10" adjustable wrench! Once loose you can pull the axle out of the hub...
immajackuup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2010, 05:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Rep Power: 15 immajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagle

Attache the hub tamer shoe horn and bolts to the hub, as you turn the hub will be pressed out. If it is stuck you take the BFH and hit it from behind.

You will notice once you get the hub out, the race is almost always attached to it

Another shot of the race on the hub

Here is the shot of the bearing without front race still on the car, you can also see the c clip that has to be removed before you can get the bearing out.

Here is a pic with the c clip removed

Here is a pic with the hub tamer bearing removal tools on. The instructions tell you to put an impact socket on the front with the long shaft but I did not have a socket that large, most in that size will be for 3/4" sockets or larger, what you can do is use your 1" socket on the back of the other side, it worked the same, not sure if this will wear out the tool prematurely but it worked fine, the tool works basically as a horizontal press.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah, bearing removed , was easier than I thought using the tool.

Pic of bearing attached to the tool.

New bearing next to old bearing.

Pic of tool to press the bearing in.

Bearing installed, was easier than the removal.

Pic of C clip reinstalled, this was a bitch to get in as even with the pliers I had it was just barely large enough for the clip, so make sure your pliers are big enough.

Now here is where all the work went, the race puller included and most you buy will not work on the honda race because the room is so narrow to slide the fingers underneath. What you need to do is take your handy dremel and cutting wheel and make some indents for the race puller to grip on, once you get this done you can use the race puller.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Here is a side shot of the indents, I actually had to redo them as they were not deep enough.

Close up shot of grooves I cut.

Success, race removed.

Close up shots of groove I cut, I got happy with the dremel and was about to cut it off, then I thought that I better not, as I may cut the hub by accident.

Hub tamer tool is also used to press the hub back in. I might have used it too well as I think I pressed it in too much, make sure you do not as the lugs will be close to the spindle arm.

Side shot of hub being pressed in.

Hub is installed
Old 08-20-2010, 05:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Reinstall all the things you took off and remember to use anti seize on everything and a cotter pin on the lower nut for the ball joint.

FWD Front Wheel Bearing Adapters

Last edited by immajackuup; 08-25-2010 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

glenniz It's a JDM Star Bitches....glenniz It's a JDM Star Bitches....glenniz It's a JDM Star Bitches....glenniz It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Dude!

Excellent F'ing write up! I've been saving some extra cash up to have this done at the machine shop so that I could install some extended wheel studs.
They wanted over a hundred per side to this work, but now I'm investing in a Hub Tamer and doing it myself!

Bye The Way it's:

TheToolWarehouse.net - Discount Automotive Equipment - Order Discount Automotive Specialty Tools

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by glenniz; 08-20-2010 at 06:00 PM.
glenniz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2010, 05:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
EF9
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 18 EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!
EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Nice writeup you have a link to the tool, cuz i'm lookin at doin the front bearings on folk's van soon, also are there different sizes of the tool or are they application sensitive?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<- Deuce MKIa

<- Deuce MKIb
Will you make a contract with me? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Quote:
Magical spinning Doritos do not belong in cars...
EF9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2010, 06:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
\/ apply baby lotion here \/

Rep Power: 46 Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 136 reviews

That drill is the key!

Literally

good shit.

The way a good DIY should be

Pata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2010, 06:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
my dd has 1800 ftlbs of torque

Rep Power: 21 Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!
Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 13 reviews

i love my press i have proly done 100 bearings for my friends and me

just remember to tighten the axle nuts enough or they will start humming again

ak riding shotgun literally

autox/ touge ej1
Built 12.5 d., ac, pic selects, itr sway, wide wheels, more bracing than a dentist office lol

09 Chevy 3500hd crew cab long bed 4x4 just because I felt like it
Tibby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2010, 07:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
They call me Awesome!

Rep Power: 38 awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

Wow, I'm actually impressed! Usually maintenance DIY's don't impress me in the least but this is in depth!

Have you checked
today?

Don't get your feelings hurt over some idiot's personal opinion, especially MINE!!!
awebb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2010, 08:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to hatchracer02

great DIY, now i have to grab me one
hatchracer02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2010, 09:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

90dirtydsi It's a JDM Star Bitches....90dirtydsi It's a JDM Star Bitches....90dirtydsi It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Awesome! I'm doing it with a press though. You can score a press on sale at Harbor Freight for less than a bill for a 12 ton. Pays for itself after doing bushings and wheel bearings on one car let alone everyone else's car.

RIP
90dirtydsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2010, 10:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90dirtydsi View Post
Awesome! I'm doing it with a press though. You can score a press on sale at Harbor Freight for less than a bill for a 12 ton. Pays for itself after doing bushings and wheel bearings on one car let alone everyone else's car.
12 ton frame will buckle, 20 ton frame won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2010, 08:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 aznxstazy is learning the way of the Daznxstazy is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90dirtydsi View Post
20 bearing jobs later the jack will start leaking. happen to my hoist. should happen teh same to the jack on that press.
aznxstazy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2010, 06:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
Pew Pew!

Rep Power: 23 Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Sammo115

Damn, your bearings look shot! hahaha. Awesome write up mang!
Sammo115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2010, 07:20 AM   #16 (permalink)
my dd has 1800 ftlbs of torque

Rep Power: 21 Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!
Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 13 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
12 ton frame will buckle, 20 ton frame won't.
my 10 ton did but that was not with wheel bearings i was pressing somthing that was 1 peice i thought was 2 and litterally put all my strenth in pulling the handle

ak riding shotgun literally

autox/ touge ej1
Built 12.5 d., ac, pic selects, itr sway, wide wheels, more bracing than a dentist office lol

09 Chevy 3500hd crew cab long bed 4x4 just because I felt like it
Tibby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2010, 07:22 AM   #17 (permalink)
I no longer haz teh pink eye! Iz got STINK EYE

Rep Power: 20 Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!
Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Bumpysbro

man awesome writeup. i havent did a wheel bearing job yet. but ya awesome work when took my knuckle off my mazda mx3 the hub just popped out and the 2 bearing half's just fell out lol hah
Quote:
I want your whale penis

I almost had you man....you almost had me? You never had me..You never had your car LOL
Bumpysbro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2010, 12:03 PM   #18 (permalink)

Thumbs up

nice write up!! i would use this when i need to replace my wheel bearings
Old 08-26-2010, 08:53 AM   #19 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

lkailburn It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

How much was that tool kit? I clicked the link and it said it was on sale for almost $400. For that price why not get a full size 20 ton press plus extras???

-Luke
y7 block, deburred Vitaras/FJT Ibeams, Stg4 P&P y8 head, ported and matched y8 IM, ITR tb, wrx urboTurb, ramhorn, jrc 5" fmic, 450's, 2.5" dp, 3" exhaust, clutch specialties stg2, act 12lb, rebuilt y8 tranny, S300. 221whp/201wtq

2005 Legacy GT

My D16 Build

lkailburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2010, 10:59 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 94hatchSI smells like Borat94hatchSI smells like Borat94hatchSI smells like Borat94hatchSI smells like Borat94hatchSI smells like Borat94hatchSI smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Great write-up. I did this the easy way and just bought extra front knuckles lol. Although, I want to replace the wheel bearings on the old ones so I can re-use them.
94hatchSI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in