Intake Heat Shield - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2010, 07:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 n4arush will become famous soon enoughn4arush will become famous soon enoughn4arush will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Intake Heat Shield

FIRST I WOULD LIKE TO SAY THANKS FOR LETTING ME HAVE MY POSTING PRIVILEGES BACK

i noticed one day that my rad fan was blowing hot air into my short ram intake. i seen something like this done on a dsm forum, so i decided to try it out for myself.

Basically i just wanted to make a shield to block air hot air from my radiator fan

I wont go into much detail with the first pictures as its just a card board mock-up
but i posted the pics for you to get an idea of where to begin.

n4arush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2010, 07:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 n4arush will become famous soon enoughn4arush will become famous soon enoughn4arush will become famous soon enough

ok so now that i had what i was looking for i had to refine it alittle

I even made a mounting tab-

Last edited by n4arush; 08-10-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Now i had to make it out of something more heat resistant and more sturdy

Now you bend it to the old template. i just bent mine over a cement block and used a hammer to make the edges. i also put several coats of high temp paint on it

Next put it in and check for any further modifications. after shutting the hood and making sure everything was good, i drilled out the hole on the mounting tab and bolted it down.
i used a hose to make a seal until im find something better
and its complete. according to my hand held temp sensor guage , inside the box was consistently 10-20 degrees cooler than right outside the box.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Speedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 40 reviews

That looks great man good job on the diy

240,000 miles and counting turbo EH9
nothing like 4drs, ac,moon roof, and 4 whores and running 13psi out or a ching chong t3/t4 setup
the build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

if it survives the winter JdM d15b+Vitara+FJT+25psi=
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

professional tranny assassin, 2 stock diffs in 4 weeks on street tires and preload was used
Speedjunky01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 07:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
They call me Awesome!

Rep Power: 38 awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

Nice DIY!

Have you checked
today?

Don't get your feelings hurt over some idiot's personal opinion, especially MINE!!!
awebb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 08:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

lkailburn It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

great DIY! repped.

What material did you make it from, sheet alum, sheet SS? I wonder if it would have better dissipating properties if left unpainted. Did you use a k probe to check temp differences inside and outside the box?

-Luke
y7 block, deburred Vitaras/FJT Ibeams, Stg4 P&P y8 head, ported and matched y8 IM, ITR tb, wrx urboTurb, ramhorn, jrc 5" fmic, 450's, 2.5" dp, 3" exhaust, clutch specialties stg2, act 12lb, rebuilt y8 tranny, S300. 221whp/201wtq

2005 Legacy GT

My D16 Build

lkailburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 09:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Pew Pew!

Rep Power: 23 Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Sammo115

Damn. That sucker came out pretty damn nice! Good work!
Sammo115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 10:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
ministry of mayhem!

Rep Power: 48 eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to eddcartes Send a message via Yahoo to eddcartes

nice diy, sir

very nice.
Evil spirits beautiful naked girl live boobs

Quote:
I mess with cars because it's more socially acceptable than a cocaine habit ... although the cocaine would probably be cheaper.
Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #666!
rip emilio gallardo (milo). outstanding father, spouse, friend and member of dso. you will always be missed.

rip, patprimmer. last of the titans.

one thing i've learned from this job is to always keep a pack of cheese for your whine.

my ED6 build thread:

my dyno compe build:

eddcartes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 12:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 kaace is da #1 stunnakaace is da #1 stunnakaace is da #1 stunnakaace is da #1 stunnakaace is da #1 stunnakaace is da #1 stunnakaace is da #1 stunna

very nice...where did you get the metal?
I say light it on fire just a little bit, so that it knows you mean busniess.
kaace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 12:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Speedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 40 reviews

do some logs!!! if your ecu is chipped log IAT with and without it!

240,000 miles and counting turbo EH9
nothing like 4drs, ac,moon roof, and 4 whores and running 13psi out or a ching chong t3/t4 setup
the build

if it survives the winter JdM d15b+Vitara+FJT+25psi=

professional tranny assassin, 2 stock diffs in 4 weeks on street tires and preload was used
Speedjunky01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 12:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
I survived code 9

Location: an imaginary place where chrome rims don't exist. Oh! Tennessee.
Milano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcano
Send a message via AIM to Milano_Redline

Not bad, not bad at all!

Milano_Redline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 01:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

I always wondered if those boxes restricted airflow. Whatcha think?

Nice work!!!
Old 08-09-2010, 01:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffaelli View Post
I always wondered if those boxes restricted airflow. Whatcha think?

Nice work!!!
there are plenty of cracks and openings for your motor to pull air from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 01:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 12 89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 23 reviews

Nice as hell, reminds me of the ice box intakes from like 2000 lol
repped

1996 Toyota 4runner SR5=best truck evar!!!

Quote:
ya for real how hard is it to open the lid pull the fuse scratch ur balls for 10 seconds then put the fuse back and close the lid lol

Last edited by 89civichxftw; 08-09-2010 at 01:37 PM.
89civichxftw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 02:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 18 Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!
Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

That's awesome, man. I think this is gonna be the next thing I do. I have to switch the
CAI to short ram too much around here because of rain. Well protected, but I still don't
like taking the chance.

If you need a part, hit me up. I'm willing to help out the remaining D-Series soldiers on the cheap.

Nasty_Canasta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 05:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 10 EJ6Z is almost a somebodyEJ6Z is almost a somebodyEJ6Z is almost a somebodyEJ6Z is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

x2 with what type of material you used.
EJ6Z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 05:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 15 Thewall is hot as a volcanoThewall is hot as a volcano
Thewall is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty_Canasta View Post
That's awesome, man. I think this is gonna be the next thing I do. I have to switch the
CAI to short ram too much around here because of rain. Well protected, but I still don't
like taking the chance.
Arizona ftw for year round perfect driving weather, even in monsoon season it doesn't rain hahaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedjunky01 View Post
do some logs!!! if your ecu is chipped log IAT with and without it!
Do this, I don't have the ability to and I'm very curious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ6Z View Post
x3 with what type of material you used.
Thewall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 07:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 12 turbodelsol is fly like an eagleturbodelsol is fly like an eagleturbodelsol is fly like an eagleturbodelsol is fly like an eagleturbodelsol is fly like an eagleturbodelsol is fly like an eagleturbodelsol is fly like an eagleturbodelsol is fly like an eagleturbodelsol is fly like an eagleturbodelsol is fly like an eagleturbodelsol is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Repped for a cool d.i.y.

Cod4 + Modern warfare 2
turbodelsol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 10:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
rdc
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 12 rdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow uprdc is about to blow up
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to rdc Send a message via MSN to rdc Send a message via Skype™ to rdc

Great DIY buy Ive done some testing with this.
If you use an old plastic dust bin or plastic sheet it insulates better from the heat.
the cardboard turned out to be the best heat insulator. then plastic and lastlly any kind of metal.
It wont matter on short rides. But once you heat soak the shield there is a diff off 5-10c
Results depend on how long you drive the car for before checking.
You guys are lucky. We have a bat there on our cars. And one has to squeeze it in behind the bat.
rdc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 10:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 443 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ryan89crx Send a message via MSN to ryan89crx

That's pretty slick. I know that the K&N cold airs for GM trucks have a shield just like that, and I've always considered doing one for a Honda.

[email protected]
Xbox 360 gamertag -
TurboDiesel598

, best bang for your buck!

ryan89crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in