DIY installing rear quarter window (95 coupe) - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2010, 04:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default DIY installing rear quarter window (95 coupe)

OK so i installed the replacement window today and took some pictures and figured id post up some pics with a quick walk through as to how i did it. This is strictly for visual purposes and i am in no way responsible for anything that happens should you try this yourself using this walk through. BTW this is my first DIY writeup so.. here goes.

Tools you will need:
-A window
-Knife\box cutter blade (make sure its sharp)
-Silicone adhesive\automotive window adhesive
-Caulk gun
-Flathead screwdriver
-Double sided tape (3M mounting tape works well)
-3M painters tape
-And an afternoon of sunshine!

Adhesive and said caulk gun.

3M double sided tape

Said window

OK to start with, my window was shattered so i am not going to cover removal of the window intact. since mine was shattered all i had to do was use the blade to cut the old adhesive and pull while cutting in the direction i was pulling. the bead basically comes right off.

shattered window

Once you have the window separated from the car the fun begins. you need to cut away as much of the old adhesive as possible, so that there is as much metal as possible for the new sealant to adhere to.

after the bead had been cut from the car

the holes you see in the last two pictures is where the clips go. that's where the double sided tape comes in. depending on where you got your window, the new window should either have clips already on or will have old tape marks where they use to be. just tape them on where the old ones were.

Next, you need to clean the window with a rag and alcohol.

now run your bead around the glass.

align the clips with the holes, press in, and hold the window on for a few minutes. then find something to prop against it to keep pressure on it so that it seals nicely.

If you have anything to add, any experience or tricks are welcome. I am by no means an expert, i just like to do stuff myself instead of a shop. If i am missing anything feel free to post it up or PM me and ill edit it. here are some instructions from a Honda manual (i think). i don't remember where i got em from but they are much more clear than i am.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	quarterglass1.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	24952   Click image for larger version

Name:	quarterglass2.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	24953   Click image for larger version

Name:	quarterglass3.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	24954   Click image for larger version

Name:	quarterglass4.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	24955  
T@inted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2010, 04:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Good Job!

X2 on DIY, fuck a shop if you can do it yourself

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2010, 04:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 92sickw/it smells like Borat92sickw/it smells like Borat92sickw/it smells like Borat92sickw/it smells like Borat92sickw/it smells like Borat92sickw/it smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 30 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 92sickw/it

good write up
92sickw/it is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 09:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 cmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

i found a coat hanger and coiled piano wire helps ALOT for getting glass off in 1 piece.

What you want to do is cut about a 6" piece of coat hanger, sharpen 1 end to as sharp of a needle point as possible, then make a tight loop on the other end. Push the coat hanger through the sealant flexing it so it will conform through the ribs.

Then pull all the way through like fish tape with the piano wire attached, then wrap the ends of the piano wire around some old wood dowling, and saw through the old sealant.

Quote:
cmgogo for gov. of California
Yeah... i'm THAT awesome
cmgogo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2010, 07:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 EJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EJ6Civic27

Glass coverage on insurance FTW. I just call my insurance, and they send someone out to fix it for free. +Rep for DIY tho.

a6 Cam/z6 intake manifold/full header back exhaust
Spider RPM tune/3500rpm launch/7200 fuel cut/NGK AFX Wideband

EJ6Civic27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in