Ign. Cylinder Rekey (Big pix, many Pix) - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2010, 04:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 K5trailrunner will become famous soon enoughK5trailrunner will become famous soon enoughK5trailrunner will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Default Ign. Cylinder Rekey (Big pix, many Pix)

Ok i was asked to creat this diy so here it is.

Tools Needed;
Small flat blade screwdriver,
C-Clip ring remover (or 1 more flat blade, C-clip ring remover used)
I alread had the Ign. lock removed from the steering colum for a question i answered about how to remove them.

ok first step,
useing the small flat blade screw driver gently pry the cover ring off the top of the cylinder housing
(there are little grooves you can use to free the lock tabs of the cylinder trim ring, and lands on the housing you can use to assist in lifting the trim ring up and off the housing)

when you get the trim ring off you should end up with something like this

Next it's time to remove the cylinder retaining c-clip

once it's out of it's groove it should pry off very easy

with the retaining c-clip removed, insert the key that fits with the lock

and pull the cylinder out of the housing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBOX Live = K5trailrunner76

Last edited by K5trailrunner; 07-13-2010 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Warning of big pics, and a lot of pix
K5trailrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2010, 04:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 K5trailrunner will become famous soon enoughK5trailrunner will become famous soon enoughK5trailrunner will become famous soon enough

then remove the key

ok here i would recomend getting a peice of paper and laying the internals (pins and springs) out and numbering the pins

it's not too noticable but each pin is labled with a number, i would recomend writting down each number as you pull them out, just incase you happen to bump the table or something and they get mixed up.
ALSO... don't loose the little springs. they bounce and roll and if you drop them.... good luck finding them. i would recomend putting them on a magnet as you pull them out. or use a magnet to pull them out and just leave them on the magnet.

and here's everything layed out

re assemble the pins in the new cylinder, Don't forget to put the springs in first then reinsert the key to hold all the pins in place

From here, just reinstall everything in reverse order, re inserte the cylinder into the housing, reinstall the c-clip, and the housing into the stering colum. you're all done

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Nice DIY. Now if only you could help me re-key my EG's door I would love you forever

I'm still looking for a way to do it since I bought the door from someone and they didn't give me a key but I guess its back to searching I go.

95 EX Coupe - D16Z6
kirdenlynx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 05:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

I have 2 spare doors i can play with, I'll look and see what i can find out for ya

Old 07-14-2010, 07:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

JosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 43 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JosA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirdenlynx View Post
Nice DIY. Now if only you could help me re-key my EG's door I would love you forever

I'm still looking for a way to do it since I bought the door from someone and they didn't give me a key but I guess its back to searching I go.
That would be awesome!

I remember when I bought my EF hatch a while back it had solex locks on it. Those were pretty cool lol

<---

<--- For sick a$$ bolts!
JosA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2010, 04:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5trailrunner View Post
I have 2 spare doors i can play with, I'll look and see what i can find out for ya
Wow man, thanks alot. I have been looking at getting it done at the locksmith but they want $90 for it...

Not to mention I can't drive the car atm

95 EX Coupe - D16Z6
Old 07-15-2010, 05:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
The Great Weldini

Rep Power: 32 remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....
remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 54 reviews
Send a message via AIM to remoer Send a message via MSN to remoer Send a message via Yahoo to remoer

this is fucking awesome. see now i understand what the cutting numbers are. when you go to the dealership the look up your Vin for the key cutting number if you get that number no matter what happens you can do any of your lock. also grafite powder will be good to have too?

The suspension should always be faster than the engine - BMW

The term stage was created to make mentally slow ppl feel physically fast.

my DOHC ZC - 133.73whp and 108.48wtq (tuned on a Dynojet)
remoer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2010, 05:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 12 jxn0051 will become famous soon enoughjxn0051 will become famous soon enoughjxn0051 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirdenlynx View Post

their is already a diy for that, its less work than the ign lock cylinder

https://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-f...-cylinder.html
jxn0051 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2010, 08:13 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks man, that will help alot and it gets K5trailrunner off the hook for another DIY

95 EX Coupe - D16Z6
Old 07-15-2010, 11:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

ya sorry guys i've been really busy lately. and haven't gotten to the doors just yet, i was starting to feel bad but i don't feel as bad anymore since the diy i was suppost to cover was already done

Old 07-16-2010, 06:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
Premium Member

Rep Power: 41 Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Bizzar Send a message via MSN to Bizzar Send a message via Yahoo to Bizzar

Very nice DIY. I thought about doing this same one but I'm a lazy bastard lol. FYI to all, you can purchase the little brass tumblers from Honda. If you own 2 or more Honda's (like me) you can re-code all the locks and ign to use one single key for all of your cars. Makes life easy for you. Plus if you ever sell one of your cars and you see out and about one day, you can hop in and take it for a spin then return it where you found it. Just park it the opposite way to f with the new owner hah. (joking)

Bizzar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2010, 04:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
EF9
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 18 EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!
EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

o as a tip for those of you doing your own re-keying, heres a sorta tip to determine the tumblers based on the "hills and valleys" cut in the key. the numbers go from 1 all the way to 6 with 1 being the lightest/shallow cut and 6 being the deepest cut, if i have time or remember, ill trace the key cuts for each of the tumblers if that helps anyone

<- Deuce MKIa

<- Deuce MKIb
Will you make a contract with me? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Quote:
Magical spinning Doritos do not belong in cars...
EF9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2010, 04:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Ignition, Doors, & Trunk all the same with cylinders removed.
Civic 808 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in