My LCD datalogger. Suggestions please ;) - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2010, 03:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 12 RolexTM smells like BoratRolexTM smells like BoratRolexTM smells like BoratRolexTM smells like BoratRolexTM smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default My LCD datalogger. Suggestions please ;)

Hi all

title says it all, i am developing a standalone datalogger

What it will do:
Display all known Datalogging Variables
Set threshold values to alarm or switch outputs, warn in case of CELS.

So, i would like to know if there are any killer features you guys would
love to see, or if there is anything else that would be useful!

ATM it is only displaying ECT and "VTEC just kicked in" when VTEC engages, lol.

I will update this thread as development moves on. Do not expect this to
be done in one week, but there will be progress!

Finally, some pics of my chaos desk

ECT....well...

Test setup with ECU, eprom, emulator, willem programmer in the background

System z on a chip

New: MFactory diff + carbon synchros.

E39 M5 as daily.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RolexTM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2010, 02:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 18 Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!
Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Good work, man. My input is just to keep messin'. I like working like that the best.
Always happy accidents.

And your desk is, in fact, CHAOS!!

If you need a part, hit me up. I'm willing to help out the remaining D-Series soldiers on the cheap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nasty_Canasta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2010, 03:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....SLEEPERSEDAN It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Sick.. super jealous...

Old 05-17-2010, 05:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
They call me Awesome!

Rep Power: 38 awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

Nice work man!

Have you checked
today?

Don't get your feelings hurt over some idiot's personal opinion, especially MINE!!!
awebb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2010, 06:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 19 d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!
d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Good work! I was thinking of writing something similar.

Let me know if you're looking for help on the software/GUI end of things.

Suggestions: MANY outputs for shift lights, progressive nitrous, etc.
d-serious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2010, 08:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 12 RolexTM smells like BoratRolexTM smells like BoratRolexTM smells like BoratRolexTM smells like BoratRolexTM smells like Borat

okay, i can multiplex outputs to infinity, only problem is i got no nitrous

hey d-serious, if you know any places where to get the formulas
for the conversion of the datalogging values i would be happy to know.

theres a lot of information around but also a lot is outdated or wrong.

have not had any time to look in the freelog sourcecode yet

E39 M5 as daily.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

Rep Power: 19 d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!
d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexTM View Post
okay, i can multiplex outputs to infinity, only problem is i got no nitrous

hey d-serious, if you know any places where to get the formulas
for the conversion of the datalogging values i would be happy to know.

theres a lot of information around but also a lot is outdated or wrong.

have not had any time to look in the freelog sourcecode yet
Not sure, I've actually been looking for a nice breakdown of Honda's version of the OBD1 protocol, so I can write a serial adapter/interpreter. I can't see your images as I'm on vnc at work (that sucks), but are you using the bus port? Or interfacing with the ECU? Wouldn't reading the values from the ECU just be a matter of pinpointing where they're currently stored in the binary?
Old 05-17-2010, 08:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-serious View Post
Not sure, I've actually been looking for a nice breakdown of Honda's version of the OBD1 protocol, so I can write a serial adapter/interpreter. I can't see your images as I'm on vnc at work (that sucks), but are you using the bus port? Or interfacing with the ECU? Wouldn't reading the values from the ECU just be a matter of pinpointing where they're currently stored in the binary?
No, i am using the modified ECU binarys with docs legendary datalogging
code - aka the CN2 connector in the ECU with a Crome ROM.

The Problem is not to get the data - you dont even have to know where it is stored (just simple byte commands), but the formulas to convert the raw data
to something useful.

E39 M5 as daily.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
No, i am using the modified ECU binarys with docs legendary datalogging
code - aka the CN2 connector in the ECU with a Crome ROM.

The Problem is not to get the data - you dont even have to know where it is stored (just simple byte commands), but the formulas to convert the raw data
to something useful.
No idea. I'm assuming you checked pgmfi.org? When I get home on some usable internet, I'll poke around and see if I can't find something of value. If you find a table with the conversions, please send it my way as well.

How did you detect vtec? It's just a binary value I take it? We could always reverse engineer the formula with extrapolated data. Meaning, we could idle the car and take a sample, then rev it to 3000RPM and take another sample. Then figure the conversion ourself.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

jep, for vtec its just 0 or 1

trying to extrapolate the formula from a running car would be personally my last choice,
before doing that i will take a look into the freelog sourcecode.

for some values its relatively clear, for others you have to take into account
sensor characteristics tables or the internal clock pulse of the ecu
etc, so its not too easy

E39 M5 as daily.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:08 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 12 Alexf2003 is learning the way of the DAlexf2003 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Alexf2003

sounds way too complicated for me, LOL
Alexf2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2010, 12:36 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
jep, for vtec its just 0 or 1

trying to extrapolate the formula from a running car would be personally my last choice,
before doing that i will take a look into the freelog sourcecode.

for some values its relatively clear, for others you have to take into account
sensor characteristics tables or the internal clock pulse of the ecu
etc, so its not too easy
Sounds like a project. Let me know if you find the formulas! I'd definitely be interested in contributing where I can if you need any assistance.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Formally D_Tuned

Rep Power: 19 Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!
Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 13 reviews

What sort of pic are you using as the brains of this? something in the atmega family?
Old 05-17-2010, 02:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 D2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

wouldnt it be easier running it on neptune, hondata, ectune? but i love the diy lcd keep up the good work.
D2ZBOY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2010, 05:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

PGMFI.org. Search. A lot. You'll really have to dig. Also, don't limit yourself to just searching OBD1, as OBD0 and OBD1 share a lot of math.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2010, 10:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tw34k View Post
What sort of pic are you using as the brains of this? something in the atmega family?
its one of the bigger 8 bit PICs (18fXXXX)

Quote:
wouldnt it be easier running it on neptune, hondata, ectune?
what do you mean?

Quote:
PGMFI.org. Search. A lot. You'll really have to dig.
done that. very much outdated infos, very much wrong infos, lots of half correct stuff. none the less its *the* information source of course.
have not found much in the "official" pgmfi library yet (not the forum).

E39 M5 as daily.

Last edited by RolexTM; 05-17-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Isn't something like this already on the market?????

http://www.marklamond.co.uk/projects.../layout1-5.jpg

as well and Neptune Tunerview 2

Xenocron Tuning: Dash Kit Tuner View 2 LCD #[TunerViewLCD] for Hondata S300, Hondata KPRO, Neptune RTP, eCtune, Uberdata and Crome Tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2010, 11:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

Total timing advance, injector pulse width, and rpm would be my main concerns.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2010, 11:33 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

yeah, if you manage to get me the sourcecode you are my hero
edit: but even then, porting it to another platform is as much or more effort as
writing it for yourself - except the conversion formulas

you are right in terms of "on the market". i dont want to buy it if i can
do it myself also

E39 M5 as daily.

Last edited by RolexTM; 05-17-2010 at 11:53 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:35 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cervan View Post
Total timing advance, injector pulse width, and rpm would be my main concerns.
yep, cant wait to get home and program a little. sadly its 9:30 in the morning
here and i just got to work, lol

E39 M5 as daily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in