DIY- recode your lock cylinder - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Ľ D-series Knowledge Factory Ľ DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2010, 05:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 12 jxn0051 will become famous soon enoughjxn0051 will become famous soon enoughjxn0051 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Default DIY- recode your lock cylinder

Hi folks, I remember a few weeks back that allot of people were interested in how to recode their lock cylinders. So I did a little research and I recoded mine. so I figured id write up a little DIY for everyone. This guide can be used for most if not all makes or models of vehicles as essentially they all work on the same general design. This write up is based on a 92 EG.

First step is to remove the clip holding the lock cylinder to the exterior door handle:

The next step is important, you need to insert any Honda key into the cylinder to lower the lock pins, it does not matter if its for the correct lock or not, all you want this to do is to lower the pins, so that you can remove the lock cylinder from its holder. If you do not do this step you will break your lock pins, youíve been warned:

Last edited by jxn0051; 05-06-2010 at 05:44 PM.
jxn0051 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2010, 05:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 12 jxn0051 will become famous soon enoughjxn0051 will become famous soon enoughjxn0051 will become famous soon enough

You next need to remove the rear spring from the lock to separate the cylinder from the holder, just use a small flat head to remove it, keep in mind that it goes in a certain way, pay attention to the ends(circled to put it back in properly) also donít worry about the plastic piece :

You can now separate the key cylinder from the holder, it should slide out with a slight pull, mine would not because it had A LOT of corrosion holding it together, I placed it on a bench vice and just tapped it out with a hammer, this is the end result.

Now you can remove the key so that you can start recoding your lock, once the key is removed you can remove the lock pins, on a Honda, there are 4 pins on top and 3 on the bottom, each pin is numbered to indicate its dimension, each pin has a slot were it makes contact with a spring, it only fits one way so you cant mess this part up .I find it easy to simply remove all of the pins (each pin has a spring, you can remove them and reinstall them) and then install them back in one by one starting from one end and finishing at the other. The issue is that you need to install them in the right combination for the key that you will be recoding the lock cylinder too. The best way again is to install one pin and then insert the key into the lock cylinder and then insert the cylinder into the holder, if it turns when you twist the key you know that pin can work there. Always start from one end and with the highest numbered pin. Here are a few pics to aid you.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

These are some of the pins taken out, you can use machine oil to lube them up so that it will make your job easier.

I dipped these pins in a quick acid bath so that the numbers are legible, every lock will have a different combination of keys, again reinstall them one at a time starting with the highest number pin, install the first pin and then insert the key you want to use for the lock and then place the lock cylinder in the holder and give it a turn, if it turns, you know that pin will work in that spot, do this for each pin, so eventually you will have like four pins in the lock cylinder that once you insert the key it turns.

If you don’t have any spare locks for extra pins you will probably end up only using 3-4 pins because the rest may not match, but even with 4 pins the lock will work just fine, it may just be easier to pick than one with all 7 pins used. I have ALOT of pins so I recoded this lock with all the proper pins, once it is recoded add the back spring and reinstall back into the car.

Last edited by jxn0051; 05-06-2010 at 05:45 PM.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 EF'n Kyle is learning the way of the DEF'n Kyle is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Good write up!
EF'n Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2010, 06:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

I can see where this can be good idea! rep

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
you will get stuck in the "willfully ignorant" category and I will do what I can to see that you never get an answer to any question you ever ask on this forum again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BiggieBert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2010, 07:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 12 slowhatch91 will become famous soon enoughslowhatch91 will become famous soon enoughslowhatch91 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

good idea and good write up... but there is a shorter method to figuring out what tumbler you need for which slot. im not training anybody on this, but anyone who works in a dealership and has coded key locks probably can read a key lol.
slowhatch91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2010, 08:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

thanks for the good feedback, its my first DIY, hopefully it helps out our members.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

JosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 43 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JosA

great write up!

repped!

<---

<--- For sick a$$ bolts!
JosA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2010, 08:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TransformedBG

Nice i need to do this on my hatch the lock wont turn with a key
TransformedBG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2010, 08:14 AM   #10 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

This was exactly what I was looking for, thanks for the DIY.

95 EX Coupe - D16Z6
kirdenlynx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2010, 08:06 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

no problem man, let us know how it goes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in