DIY Testing and Replacing your TPS - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2010, 03:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 11 NightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Default DIY Testing and Replacing your TPS

**PICS COMING SOON!!**

What You'll need
1) Wire Strippers
2) Electrical tape
3) Multimeter

Step 1: Locate your Power and Ground, Power and ground should be wire 1 and wire 3.
Step 2: Locate your 5v signal wire - should be middle wire. aka: wire 2.
Step 3: Set DMM (digital multimeter) to Volts DC.
Step 4: Strip away part of the insulation on your POWER wire and SIGNAL wire
Step 5: Put positive lead on positive wire aka: Power. and negative on Signal wire.
Step 6: Turn key to On Position.
Step 7: Take reading at wires. Should read 0.45v at CLOSED THROTTLE.
Step 8: Take reading at WOT. Should read 4.95-4.99v

If you have any other readings, you most likely have a bad TPS.

Do NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Drill out the stock screws/bolts/snap screws/whateveryouwanttocallthem that hold your TPS to your T-Body.

To Replace your TPS:
What You'll need:
1) A Punch (preferably with a fine tip or end on it)
2) A Hammer and/or Mallet
3) Vice Grips

Step 1: Remove Throttle Body from Manifold via 4x12mm nuts and bolts. 2 of each usually unless running a different throttle body or manifold
Step 2: Secure Throttle Body in a Vice or by hand.
Step 3: Place your punch straight down onto your snap screw and make an indent.
Step 4: Angle your punch at an angle in your indent
Step 5: Smack your punch not hard, but not gently with your hammer to loosen your snap screw
Step 6: Once your Snap screw has "broken loose" use some vice grips or grab by hand and continue to unscrew.

Step 7: DO YOUR BEST NOT TO DAMAGE THE OEM TPS GASKET!!!! Honda does not sell these gaskets and you would have to find another elsewhere or use Sensor Safe RTV Sealent from Permatex.

Step 8: When Installing new TPS. Either retap a new thread OR the stock thread pitch is M5-.8 as or length, you'll see when the old ones come out..but i'd say about 15mm or so long...use your discretion

Step 9: When installing new TPS, their is a grove inside your TBody and a tab on your new sensor. Be sure when reinstalling TPS sensor to Tbody that you line these up and put some sort of sealant lightly around the edges to ensure no leaks are present.

Step 10: Grab your Multimeter and SLOWLY!!!!!!!!!! Move your TPS until 0.45v Closed throttle.

Step 11: REUSE WASHERS FROM ORIGINAL SNAP SCREWS! When tightening down new bolts (M5-. and snug tight. Not too tight.

and Tada!!! you have yourself a new TPS..

Ive nuked 2 of'em...so heres my advice...RUN ALL YOUR TQ DAMPENING MOUNTS! or engine vibration and movement will destroy your TPS.

Enjoy,

Questions and Comments are welcome.

- David.

"A turbocharger...exhaust gasses go in and spin the turbine, witchcraft happens and you go faster" - Jeremy Clarkson
Powered by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NightCat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2010, 04:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 18 Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!
Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Great write up, man.
I jacked one up a while back by accidently dropping it from the intake mani..
connected throttle body.
They are delicate sensors...

If you need a part, hit me up. I'm willing to help out the remaining D-Series soldiers on the cheap.

Nasty_Canasta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2010, 04:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 ejcoupe is learning the way of the Dejcoupe is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Very nice diy man
ejcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 06:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER

Rep Power: 24 guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano
guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 46 reviews

that's not how I would test a tps.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 30 2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 49 reviews

i use a dremal with a cut off wheel to make a slot in the head of the screw then use a flat head screw driver to take out the screws.

PM me for obd1,obd2 & k-series tucked harnesses

all so do vtec sub-harness

MAGIC-WIRES FOR YOUR ENGINE HARNESS NEEDS

instagram @magicman9won4
2jzdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2010, 01:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 18 Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!
Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jzdreamin View Post
i use a dremal with a cut off wheel to make a slot in the head of the screw then use a flat head screw driver to take out the screws.
I've done this before as well. Works like a charm. And there's no
shock / jolting inflicted on the sensor or TB.

If you need a part, hit me up. I'm willing to help out the remaining D-Series soldiers on the cheap.

Nasty_Canasta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2010, 09:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

you are my hero sir
Old 12-23-2010, 03:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 crad008 is learning the way of the Dcrad008 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

good post
crad008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2010, 04:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 BIGT94z is learning the way of the DBIGT94z is learning the way of the D

this will defiantly come in handy if/when i need it. I;m sure others appreciate the dyi too. nice work man.

95' dx 280k+ miles

96' dx
BIGT94z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2010, 04:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

Nice write up man. But always remember, were all picture whores here
jt99ek4door is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2010, 08:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 11 NightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Yea..I've been meaning to....but haha, I havent had to do it in a while. I'll try and take some rough pics for y'all.

"A turbocharger...exhaust gasses go in and spin the turbine, witchcraft happens and you go faster" - Jeremy Clarkson