DIY Black Housing Head Lights (96-00) - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2010, 05:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 11 NightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Default DIY Black Housing Head Lights (96-00)

This is a DIY I posted on another forum I'm on, but my DIY none the less

Alright guys, you might have read my post in the original CTR headlight thread. but basically the information is the same just this time I did it again and took picture for the purpose of helping all us EJ8'ers so you can see it rather than read it.

so..heres my original post from the thread.
Quote:
1) Remove your front bumper by
a. remove the 5 clips from the grille, and 1 large clip on either side. (They come out easier if you unscrew the 5 from the plastic first)
b. Remove the single phillips head screw from each wheel well.
c. Remove the 2 10mm bolts that hold the bumper on the bottom
d. gently pull forward and set aside
2) Remove your headlights
a. Remove the rubber guard protecting the bulbs
b. remove the clip holding the bulb in
c. unhook the connection
d. Remove the 4 10mm bolts, one on the fender side,2 on top, one in the radiator area.
e. unhook the turn signal bulb
g. gently wiggle headlights out.

3) next, get a metal cooking sheet and be sure your oven has room
4) preheat oven to 200 degrees
5) place headlight on cooking sheet and place in oven for 13-15 minutes depending on how powerful your oven is
6) take headlight out of oven and gently pry the clips open and pull apart.
a. be sure to do it gently as no to damage any other clips
b. be sure to do it cleanly as to preserve the factory silicone
7) once headlight is apart, the silver outlining will come out after taking off 2 screws.
a. the 2 scews are holding i to the lense
b. another 2 hold other components to the headlight
c. 1 screw holds your turn signal silver & amber assebly
d. a clip and screw hold the bottom amber reflector in your headlight if you wish to remove it and go more CTR Look
Score up the surface you want to paint with a decent grit sandpaper 600-800. you only need to rough it up so the paint with adhere right and not chip/peel. no need to sand the entire thing
9) use whatever color spray paint you want to paint the housing
10) let the paint dry 5-10 minutes (or whatever the can says)
Headlight Before anything was done to it, and showing the tools. A Can of Paint, A Flat head screw driver, a phillips head screw driver and some 500 grit sand paper

Oven Timer counting down

Once its still kinda hot pull it apart and it'll look like this.

Once you pull the lens off it'll look like this

After you scuff it up with sand paper to make the paint adhere better..dont gouge it, just rough it up.

After sprayed should look something like this.

After it dries and you get all the nooks and crannys..should look like this.

"A turbocharger...exhaust gasses go in and spin the turbine, witchcraft happens and you go faster" - Jeremy Clarkson
Powered by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NightCat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2010, 05:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Rep Power: 11 NightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regular

Then when you're done and reseal the whole headlight...here it is compared to the other. (NOTE: These are Depo knock offs..not OEM like my other pics are of <_<)

"A turbocharger...exhaust gasses go in and spin the turbine, witchcraft happens and you go faster" - Jeremy Clarkson
Powered by
&
NightCat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2010, 07:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Dope! im guessing it can be done with pretty much any model?

Last edited by zeusone2; 05-01-2010 at 07:37 PM.
zeusone2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 07:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 12 vTaKz y0! is starting to learn the ropesvTaKz y0! is starting to learn the ropesvTaKz y0! is starting to learn the ropesvTaKz y0! is starting to learn the ropesvTaKz y0! is starting to learn the ropesvTaKz y0! is starting to learn the ropes

Nice. But I know for a fact that this can be done without the use of an oven. Not bashing your build/thread, but I'm just saying. Looks good nonetheless.

You're only as smart as you were yesterday, but not as smart as you will be tomorrow.
vTaKz y0! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2010, 09:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
I survived code 9

Location: an imaginary place where chrome rims don't exist. Oh! Tennessee.
Milano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcanoMilano_Redline is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Milano_Redline

I've done this!

It was an awesome afternoon. Looking back 3 years ago I was 18 years old. Just trying to save a buck. So easy I'd prolly do it again tho.

Milano_Redline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2010, 10:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 ejcoupe is learning the way of the Dejcoupe is learning the way of the D

just did it on mine yesterday came out really nice, was fun no problems an i usually run into problems when i do a diy lol
ejcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2010, 11:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

90EF9si is about to kiss the sky90EF9si is about to kiss the sky90EF9si is about to kiss the sky90EF9si is about to kiss the sky90EF9si is about to kiss the sky90EF9si is about to kiss the sky90EF9si is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 90EF9si Send a message via Skype™ to 90EF9si

I did this to my old 00 head lights!!!! it was really nice....Good job on write up man they look good

First time shiftin with left hand-11/5/09
My build thread

Quote:
so you're saying publicly you had swamp ass? whats swamp ass? it's when you take a dump and you don't wipe to good. then the sweats runs down your back, down you ass crack and it mixes alls well into gritty kitty ass mix.
90EF9si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2010, 12:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 K5trailrunner will become famous soon enoughK5trailrunner will become famous soon enoughK5trailrunner will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

real nice diy man, do you know if by some chance you can put a high gloss dark paint on the light reflector that you left chrome?? will it hold up? will it still be a efficiant refelector? has anyone tried it before??
just an idea. eather way they look nice man,
rep for sure
K5trailrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2010, 12:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 18 Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!
Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Looks good, man. Clean.

If you need a part, hit me up. I'm willing to help out the remaining D-Series soldiers on the cheap.

Nasty_Canasta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2010, 06:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeusone2 View Post
Dope! im guessing it can be done with pretty much any model?
I do believe any headlight put together in a similar fashion I dont see why it wouldnt work. However some headlights have the HID ballast on them, for example Mitsubishi Evo Headlights, so be sure to remove any hardware that could be damaged before trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vTaKz y0! View Post
Nice. But I know for a fact that this can be done without the use of an oven. Not bashing your build/thread, but I'm just saying. Looks good nonetheless.
You are Correct, it CAN be done with a heat gun for arts and crafts, I just prefer this method

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90EF9si View Post
I did this to my old 00 head lights!!!! it was really nice....Good job on write up man they look good
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5trailrunner View Post
real nice diy man, do you know if by some chance you can put a high gloss dark paint on the light reflector that you left chrome?? will it hold up? will it still be a efficiant refelector? has anyone tried it before??
just an idea. eather way they look nice man,
rep for sure
Are you talking about the part that surrounds the actual bulb. I see no reason why you couldnt. I just chose not to, I think it would ruin the light amplifying properties of the headlight. The part I blacked out has no effect on how much light the headlight can reflect. I however DID opt to leave the amber reflectors in.

I did this so 1) I dont look like a Wanna be trying to make CTR/SiR Lights. and 2) So people know they are not Genuine CTR/SiR, all I would've had to do was socket a city light in...but I want people to know they're fake...reason being I dont want my shit stolen :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty_Canasta View Post
Looks good, man. Clean.
Thanks