DIY catch can setup w/o welding bungs into the VC - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2010, 05:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews
Default DIY catch can setup w/o welding bungs into the VC

Pretty simple and straight forward. First, start with picking out your catch can of choice. I chose a simple, baffled vented aluminum can with 3/8th NPT inlets and outlet.

Second, clean out your factory baffled OEM "black box" and clean the outside of any excess grease/debris. I took the same large fitting I got for the actual can and used it coupled with a large washer so there was no chance of the fitting falling in. JB Weld is perfect to seal up everything here...I use a little bit around the mouth of the hole to begin with because it is not perfectly flat. Here's where the washer comes in handy too, for proper sealing. Then as shown below cover the bottom of the fitting and washer handily with the JB mixture.

Third, take your VC and cut off the stock "blow-by" port and drill out to your desired size. If done correctly and with the right fitting you can utilize the stock vc baffling and drill right into it and install straight through to it. Bingo!

Catch can - eBay ($75 shipped)
Block box - free (from off the block)
Spare vc - free (unless you don't have an extra)
Fittings - McMaster.com (QTY of 5 for $12 shipped)
"Block box" seal - $1-2 (dealership item)
Misc - clamps and Lowes braided clear hose (price unknown, haven't purchased them yet)

I'll be using this setup on my 400whp (goal) turbo setup...I'm confident I'll have adequate flow and will follow-up with results afterwards.

Enjoy!!!
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2010, 05:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 98dxNooby is da #1 stunna98dxNooby is da #1 stunna98dxNooby is da #1 stunna98dxNooby is da #1 stunna98dxNooby is da #1 stunna98dxNooby is da #1 stunna98dxNooby is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Sick writeup! I was hoping I could somehow come up with a way to not have to mess with the vc and YOU sir have done that for me! Repped

Build thread and FS Thread soon to come

Should you buy a kit or piece one together???--->

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
98dxNooby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2010, 05:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 xsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Looks good. I did my blackbox the same way. I personally put another hole on the other side of the valve cover because I didnt know if the drivers side of the motor blowby could escape as easily as the passengers side.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

nice lil write-up! rep fo joo!

Quote:
you will get stuck in the "willfully ignorant" category and I will do what I can to see that you never get an answer to any question you ever ask on this forum again.

BiggieBert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2010, 04:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 EJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EJ6Civic27

Why do you have to cut off the stock blowby port on the valve cover? Why cant you use the one thats already there?

+ rep tho!

a6 Cam/z6 intake manifold/full header back exhaust
Spider RPM tune/3500rpm launch/7200 fuel cut/NGK AFX Wideband

EJ6Civic27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2010, 04:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
I can't read...

Rep Power: 41 myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 48 reviews

very nice

any pics of it installed?
i love to rape kids...*silence*

let me touch you.
myHonda1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2010, 05:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

crxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussiecrxlifer21 is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 24 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ6Civic27 View Post
Why do you have to cut off the stock blowby port on the valve cover? Why cant you use the one thats already there?

+ rep tho!
Because it is small I am guessing. Nice write up rep for you!!
from here on out all will be healed due to the honda holy water (jb weld)

302hp/262TQ

crxlifer21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2010, 05:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
The Great Weldini

Rep Power: 32 remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....
remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 54 reviews
Send a message via AIM to remoer Send a message via MSN to remoer Send a message via Yahoo to remoer

well i was talking to Chris the other day about J.B Weld. even tho J.B.Weld claims that you can fix a gas tank. but chris said was it doesn't tell you it a tempoery fix and that gas will eventualy deteriorated the J.B. Weld. is it true or not i can't say, but the black box is just a OEM catch can. just delete it dan you already have a small catch can. it'll do the samething. just in a access able area to drain you can reach. but thats me.

The suspension should always be faster than the engine - BMW

The term stage was created to make mentally slow ppl feel physically fast.

my DOHC ZC - 133.73whp and 108.48wtq (tuned on a Dynojet)
remoer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2010, 10:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxlifer21 View Post
Because it is small I am guessing. Nice write up rep for you!!
Bingo! If you're WHP goals are in the 200s, then you'll be fine with the stock one. But 400WHP? It needs max flow...thus the MUCH larger port/fitting.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Rep Power: 16 xxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcano
xxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 29 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK92_D16 View Post
Bingo! If you're WHP goals are in the 200s, then you'll be fine with the stock one. But 400WHP? It needs max flow...thus the MUCH larger port/fitting.
think one port is enough though??

2010-294whp D16Y7 T3/T4 24psi E85 12.77 @ 111mph!

2011-360whp D16Y7 GT3076R 25psi E85 12.05 @ 115mph!

2012-414whp D16Y7 GT3076R 28psi E85 11.68 @ 124mph!

Current Ride- 09 Acura TSX
xxjdmcivicek9xx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2010, 05:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxjdmcivicek9xx View Post
think one port is enough though??
One for the head and one for the block...both big enough for a regular sized Sharpie pen to fit into. I think I'll be fine, but we shall see!
Old 04-27-2010, 06:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
It's that time again

Rep Power: 31 EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !EJ1 SCRAPPIN is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 55 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EJ1 SCRAPPIN

in for pics of it installed

EJ1 SCRAPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2010, 08:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Good write up, I wish there was one of these a long time ago before I did alot of pointless reading. This setup will be perfect for the average turbo D.
reduvall88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2010, 09:24 PM   #14 (permalink)

Rep Power: 11 NightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Could you post up a link to that catch can! Looks much better than what I have now.

Sweet Diy though! I'll probably end up doing this on my Y8 Vitara build!

EDIT: for all else who wanted to know.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Alumi...#ht_2401wt_939

Im probably gonna do the same thing just with steel braided and AN fittings.

Pics installed would be awesome though!

Last edited by NightCat; 04-28-2010 at 09:34 PM.
NightCat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2010, 09:06 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 sjsotelo smells like Boratsjsotelo smells like Boratsjsotelo smells like Boratsjsotelo smells like Boratsjsotelo smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sjsotelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightCat View Post
Im probably gonna do the same thing just with steel braided and AN fittings.
Yeah this is pretty solid setup... if you want braided lines and AN fittings it will be another $100-150 in just those parts.

sjsotelo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2010, 12:05 PM   #16 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sickvtec

im runnin a D16a6 carburetor now, since i notice the black box behind the block it connected to my intake manifolds rite? can you post some picture of a complete installation, thanks
Old 05-31-2010, 10:34 PM   #17 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sickvtec

no thanks but figure it out already
Old 06-02-2010, 06:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 11 del_sol_93 is learning the way of the Ddel_sol_93 is learning the way of the D

thats a really nice gold on the valve cover ,,,,,,,,................. do you know what is the paint code??????
del_sol_93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2010, 06:47 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series G0D

^No idea...bought it off a local member/friend here, but I'll see whether he has any idea cuz I'd like to do the cam gear in that color.

BTW everyone, I removed the charcoal canister now and will probably be placing the catch can in its place soon and routing catch can lines. Updated pics will follow!
Old 06-02-2010, 06:54 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 11 del_sol_93 is learning the way of the Ddel_sol_93 is learning the way of the D

oh ok man let me know if u finf out what code was it...............and good luck with the catch can
del_sol_93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in