DIY: Change your Tie Rod Ends - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 08:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 94hatchSI smells like Borat94hatchSI smells like Borat94hatchSI smells like Borat94hatchSI smells like Borat94hatchSI smells like Borat94hatchSI smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Default DIY: Change your Tie Rod Ends

I did this because I was getting a little play in both front wheels from side to side and while I was driving the car would pull left/right when accelerating/decelerating. When I got under the car to look and see what was wrong I could see that the place where the tie rod end bolted to the knuckle was worn out and loose. So, I decided to replace mine and make a little DIY in the process. The pictures displayed here are from the driver side of the car, but the passenger side is identical, with the exception of the pass. tie rod end being a little longer. The steps are the same.

Tools Needed:
Jack
Jack Stands
19mm socket
17mm socket
14mm wrench
Hammer (optional)
Cresent Wrench
something straight and at least 4ft long (I'll explain later)

First off jack the car up and put it on jack stands. Then, remove the wheels so you can access the tie rod ends a little easier. Once in there I pulled the cotter pin from the castle nut on the bottom side of where the tie rod end bolts to the knuckle. Then, I used my 17mm socket to loosen the castle nut and remove it.

Next, I used my cresent wrench (because I didn't have one large enough in my tool set) to break loose the locking nut on the tie rod end.

Once that nut was loose you can pop the tie rod end out of the knuckle. I had to use a hammer on mine, so thats where that tool comes in play for me. Then, I just un-screwed the tie rod end.

Once the old one was out I started by screwing the new one back on a good ways so I didn't have to tighten/loosen it too much with the 14mm wrench. Once it was screwed on far enough I attached it to the knuckle with the castle nut. After the castle nut was tight I put in a new cotter pin.

Now that it's all back together you're not done yet. I would recomend getting a professional alignment after doing this because your alignment will be off no matter how close you think you got it. This part I didn't get pictures of, but to get my alignment close I used a long 2x4 (approx. 4ft) and held it to the rotor. This gave me a little bit of an idea as to how far off it was in relation to the rest of the cars lines. After I made a few adjustments it was pretty close so I tightened up the locking nut on the tie rod end and put my wheels back on and went for a test drive. My little alignment trick worked well. The car drives straight and no more going back and forth on acceleration/deceleration. Although it does drive straight, I'll be getting an alignment done tomorrow as soon as I can so I don't wear through my tires unevenly.

Hope this helps anyone out that might be doing this.

Patrick
94hatchSI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2010, 08:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
formerly allnaturalrex

Rep Power: 22 greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!
greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to greasemonkey89

nice write up

"Aircooled Enthusiast/ D-Series Fanatic"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #2
greasemonkey89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2010, 09:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 15 Thewall is hot as a volcanoThewall is hot as a volcano
Thewall is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

x2 good write up, I need to do this too. But I'm lucky enough to have access to an alignment rack at school.
Thewall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 09:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 EJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EJ6Civic27

Good stuff, very easy to do. Abit of advice, when you take the tie rod off, when you loosen that locking nut, make sure to leave it where its at, so when you put your new rod on, its in the same spot as the old one was. That way your alignment wont be off. I did this on my old DSM, and it still drove straight.

+rep BTW.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

a6 Cam/z6 intake manifold/full header back exhaust
Spider RPM tune/3500rpm launch/7200 fuel cut/NGK AFX Wideband

EJ6Civic27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2010, 09:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Certified O.G.

Rep Power: 27 Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Staypuff578

nice write up . wish this woulda been around when i did mine lol

Quote:
almost as badass as my mustache, like a mustache with tits
Instagram- Spoolin_Larry
Staypuff578 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2010, 10:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 94hatchSI smells like Borat94hatchSI smells like Borat94hatchSI smells like Borat94hatchSI smells like Borat94hatchSI smells like Borat94hatchSI smells like Borat

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ6Civic27 View Post
Good stuff, very easy to do. Abit of advice, when you take the tie rod off, when you loosen that locking nut, make sure to leave it where its at, so when you put your new rod on, its in the same spot as the old one was. That way your alignment wont be off. I did this on my old DSM, and it still drove straight.

+rep BTW.
Yeah, this is a good way to keep the alignment as close as you can, but it will still be off a little bit. I'm too much of a "perfectionist" to not go get an alignment. lol. It's not going to affect it a whole lot, other than tire wear and maybe .001mpg's. It just depends on how far off it is.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
I can't read...

Rep Power: 41 myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 48 reviews

nice write-up

one thing though, before you even start you need to lock the steering wheel. that will keep the inner tie rods from moving...therefore an alignment won't be needed.
i love to rape kids...*silence*

let me touch you.
myHonda1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2010, 11:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by myHonda1 View Post
nice write-up

one thing though, before you even start you need to lock the steering wheel. that will keep the inner tie rods from moving...therefore an alignment won't be needed.
No matter how close you get it, you should still get an alignment, but locking the wheel will help get it as close as you can without a machine. I forgot to mention that I did lock my wheel when I did this.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
I can't read...

Rep Power: 41 myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 48 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94hatchSI View Post
No matter how close you get it, you should still get an alignment, but locking the wheel will help get it as close as you can without a machine. I forgot to mention that I did lock my wheel when I did this.

that, and i always count the rotations.
i love to rape kids...*silence*

let me touch you.
myHonda1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2010, 11:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 30 2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 49 reviews

2jzdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2010, 12:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 18 Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!
Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Great write up. There will be lots of people that find this useful. I get asked
about tie rods in conversation multiple times weekly. Good job, man. Lots
of quality DIYs lately.

If you need a part, hit me up. I'm willing to help out the remaining D-Series soldiers on the cheap.

Nasty_Canasta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2010, 10:12 AM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 JesSIca will become famous soon enoughJesSIca will become famous soon enoughJesSIca will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

thx for the info, i def need to change mine, the rod itself is fine but the screw seems stripped which of course is just my luck. but i guess no better time than now...cuz its sitting in the garage with the motor pulled...lol
JesSIca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2010, 10:16 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 15 Wischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcano
Wischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

Good write-up!

+Rep

Quote:
I mess with cars because it's more socially acceptable than a cocaine habit ... although the cocaine would probably be cheaper.
Wischmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2010, 12:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 15 immajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ6Civic27 View Post

+rep BTW.
or u can count the turn
immajackuup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2010, 01:30 PM   #15 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

for aligning tires cant you just take a measuring tape and check the fronts and backs of the tires when you done and make sure they are straight/ slight tow out? Thats what I usually do and it works fine. Only sure when doing this is that the car is on the ground when measuring the tow. Won't get you as perfect as a professional wheel alignment but its good enough and saves some $.
rwdslider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in