DIY: Datalogging Cable. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2010, 11:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Certified O.G.

Rep Power: 27 Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Staypuff578
Default DIY: Datalogging Cable.

hey everyone, i didn't feel like paying 30+ for a datalogging cable and had some stuff laying around so i decided to make one and figured i could try to save you guys some cash. Feel free to congradulate or critisize, any feedback is appreciated.

You need these drivers to be able to utilize this!
http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

Tools needed:
Soldering iron
Solder
Wire cutters/strippers
Shrink tube (optional, could use electrical tape)

Cable stuff needed:
USB cable (i used an old apple one)
4 Pin female plug (cut off old computer wires i had)

Step 1: Remove the third wire in the 4 pin female plug and strip the usb chord. Slide large piece of shrink tube over usb wire.

Step 2: Cut green wire off of USB as that wire will not be used. strip both USB and 4 pin female plug wires.

Step 3: Twist together White and red wire, solder, shrink tube.

Quote:
almost as badass as my mustache, like a mustache with tits
Instagram- Spoolin_Larry

Last edited by Staypuff578; 04-05-2010 at 08:24 AM.
Staypuff578 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2010, 11:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Certified O.G.

Rep Power: 27 Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Step 4: Twist black and red wire together, solder, shrink tube.

Step 5: Twist yellow and black wire together, solder, shrink tube.

Step 6: Slide large piece of shrink tube over all wires and SHRINK! lol.

Quote:
Instagram- Spoolin_Larry

Last edited by Staypuff578; 04-04-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Certified O.G.

The finished product:

Step 7: Plug into ecu with yellow wire facing front plugs and start datalogging .

Quote:
Instagram- Spoolin_Larry

Last edited by Staypuff578; 04-04-2010 at 11:18 PM.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Certified O.G.

and TADA! hope this helps some of my D brotheren out

Quote:
Instagram- Spoolin_Larry

Last edited by Staypuff578; 04-04-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 EJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EJ6Civic27

Good stuff. I may do this myself, as my dad has all kinds of computer wire and plugs lying around. + rep

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

a6 Cam/z6 intake manifold/full header back exhaust
Spider RPM tune/3500rpm launch/7200 fuel cut/NGK AFX Wideband

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EJ6Civic27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2010, 06:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Pew Pew!

Rep Power: 23 Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Sammo115

woop woop!
Sammo115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2010, 06:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 SOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SOHCpower

how would that work? how do you get device manager to point to that com if its not a rs232 conversion?
SOHCpower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2010, 08:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Certified O.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHCpower View Post
how would that work? how do you get device manager to point to that com if its not a rs232 conversion?
rs232 is converting the power (or something along those lines) to something the ecu can read right?

Edit: the +5v is not used with usb(idk if that answers your question).

Another Edit: i was just reading up on xenocron and with this style cable you plug and play, no conversion is necessary.

USB Side: Black (GND), White (RX), Green (+5v Not Used), Red (TX).
ECU Side (CN2 Plug): Pin 1 (GND), Pin 2 (TX), Pin 3 (+5v Not Used), Pin 4 (RX), Pin 5 (Not Used).

Quote:
Instagram- Spoolin_Larry

Last edited by Staypuff578; 04-05-2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

so you have used it and it works?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2010, 10:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Certified O.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danz View Post
so you have used it and it works?
not personally, i don't own a laptop yet lol. my friend did and he said it worked fine, (so technically i can't say it works i go off his word) just gotta install the drivers at the top and go into device manager set it to the appropriate com port # and change the latency from 16 to 1.

Quote:
Instagram- Spoolin_Larry

Last edited by Staypuff578; 04-05-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:21 AM   #11 (permalink)
Formally D_Tuned

Rep Power: 19 Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!
Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 13 reviews

This wont work unless the usb plug has a ftdi or some other usb to serial protocol chip inside ( never seen one that did )

The real way this writeup would work is if you showed how to add a 4 pin connector to a usb to serial converter cable.

The ecu's 4 pin cm2 is serial iirc.

Ive been getting into circuit development and all the actuall logistics of how electronics and pic micro-controllers really communicate. And when inspecting both of my datalogging cables from moates they both look to simply be a ftdi usb to serial circuit which really is quite simple if you have the chip.

I will show a few examples later when im not as busy.

Last edited by Tw34k; 04-05-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Tw34k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2010, 10:24 AM   #12 (permalink)
Certified O.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tw34k View Post
This wont work unless the usb plug has a fdti or some other usb to serial protocol chip inside

The real way this writeup would work is if you showed how to add a 4 pin connector to a usb to serial converter cable.
that bastard (getting in car to go kill friend lol).

well thanks for the insight tw34k, i guess i save people cash on the cable itself lol they still need the usb-serial (or some shit like that) board .

damn i thought i stumbled upon something great lol

Quote:
Instagram- Spoolin_Larry
Old 04-05-2010, 10:29 AM   #13 (permalink)
Formally D_Tuned

Rep Power: 19 Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!
Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!

Props for trying man, you have the right attitude towards things.

You seem to be into electronics, if you have any interest in learning a little simple coding and circuit dev check out the arduino its a simple pic and breakout board that has some mighty potential in interfacing with almost anything that has wires.

Ill be back later like i said to try and shed some clear light on the datalogging cable situation.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:33 AM   #14 (permalink)
Certified O.G.

Quote:
Props for trying man, you have the right attitude towards things.

You seem to be into electronics, if you have any interest in learning a little simple coding and circuit dev check out the arduino its a simple pic and breakout board that has some mighty potential in interfacing with almost anything that has wires.

Ill be back later like i said to try and shed some clear light on the datalogging cable situation.
thanks buddy . i try to stay positive no matter what the situation, in this case my friend BS'd me a bit but hell i thought it was cool so i decided to give it a shot. luckily you shed some light on the situation so a bunch of people didn't make this, plug it in and then flame me to death for it not working lol.

yea i love electronics, i build computers here and there (mostly gaming rigs) and i like soldering stuff haha. i'll check that out, might be something i can tweak (not literally) on lol.

cool cool, see ya then

Quote:
Instagram- Spoolin_Larry
Old 04-06-2010, 09:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 18 Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!
Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Well, check this out, I decided to try out CJ's DIY datalogger. I grabbed
a USB cable from an old cell phone I no longer have and a 4 pin plug that
went to an old floppy drive. It took me about 15 minutes and most of that
was the soldering iron not heating up. I didn't do any of the fancy stuff
'cuz this was an experiment.

I used my laptop and Freelog. At first I got nothing with the loopback
test. But then after switching to COM3, I got a positive loopback!
This setup does, in fact, work. However, I wasn't getting any actual
"logging" in the grids..BUT I have to add that I've had problems using
Freelog with Crome 1.53 in the past..So I'm not sure whether it's the
cable another factor that is causing it not to fully log.

Here's the setup -

And here, you can clearly see that I was able to read ECT, RPM and some
other random data -

If you need a part, hit me up. I'm willing to help out the remaining D-Series soldiers on the cheap.

Nasty_Canasta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2010, 09:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
Certified O.G.

Thanks jay! Well glad it at least somewhat worked

Quote:
Instagram- Spoolin_Larry
Old 04-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
Formally D_Tuned

Strange and surprising!

While this may in fact work, a few things tell me it might be troublesome or in fact flat out dangerous. A second thing that alarms me about this is that i have never heard of it before. In this way at least.

I do really plan on posting up some cool things later but i have just been swamped the last few days and id like to include pictures/diagrams with it.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 18 Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!
Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Quote:
Strange and surprising!

While this may in fact work, a few things tell me it might be troublesome or in fact flat out dangerous. A second thing that alarms me about this is that i have never heard of it before. In this way at least.

I do really plan on posting up some cool things later but i have just been swamped the last few days and id like to include pictures/diagrams with it.
Yes! Do so! I'm a part time electronics geek. Post any and all information.
Hail Zoltan!

Quote:
Staypuff578 Thanks jay! Well glad it at least somewhat worked
No problem, mang. I'm gonna try it with another program and see what's up.

If you need a part, hit me up. I'm willing to help out the remaining D-Series soldiers on the cheap.

Nasty_Canasta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2010, 03:39 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 98dxNooby is da #1 stunna98dxNooby is da #1 stunna98dxNooby is da #1 stunna98dxNooby is da #1 stunna98dxNooby is da #1 stunna98dxNooby is da #1 stunna98dxNooby is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Totally badass! Ill rep you when it lets me again lol
Thanks a ton for the writeup this is 30 bucks i needed for other stuff

Build thread and FS Thread soon to come

Should you buy a kit or piece one together???--->

98dxNooby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2010, 04:22 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 EJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EJ6Civic27

Hmmm....now to get a chipped P06 ECU to play around with...

a6 Cam/z6 intake manifold/full header back exhaust
Spider RPM tune/3500rpm launch/7200 fuel cut/NGK AFX Wideband

EJ6Civic27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in