Throttle Body Mod 100% opening .005HP FTW!!!! - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2010, 11:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 paulwall will become famous soon enoughpaulwall will become famous soon enoughpaulwall will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Throttle Body Mod 100% opening .005HP FTW!!!!

Well guys here goes my first DIY. Not good for any real HP but just quick and easy and gives you some piece of mind.

Whats the Point?: while cleaning my TB in noticed that it really doesnt open 100% maybe 98 or so...so i got to thinking....why not open all the way? how much HP? prolly none...but why only open your TB 98% right?

Tools needed:
Dremal or other grinding tool
grinding sones or bits
safty glasses

Ok this is kind of a drastic pic and maybe mine was a one time thing but i doubt it. Here is your crappy, lazy, only giving 98% unmodded TB. :note: my TB did open a tad more than this but for picture purposes i took this pic so it would show up better.

now break out your grinder or dremal and safty glasses and grind on one of two places. up to you doesnt matter either way.

Here, right under the name plate where the throttle rotor contacts the throttle stop.

or right on the throttle rotor its self

Ok now take your time and grind a bit at a time. if you go to far your butterfly will open to much, effectivly starting to close again. this would defeat the purpose...obviously.

So if you take your time and if your at all handy with a dremal this should take.....maybe ten min at most.

Finished, eager, overachieving, giving 100% percent TB

After you install your TB make sure your t-cable is adjusted to compensate allowing the rotor to hit the stop.

So there you have it. You can sleep well at night knowing that your TB is opening 100% instead of 98 or 99....cus its all those 1% that make a difference...that and im anal. lol! Enjoy guys!

check out my build, lots of porting pics!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by paulwall; 03-23-2010 at 12:43 PM.
paulwall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2010, 05:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

Good job on the write up! I'll do this if I ever take my tb off lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
you will get stuck in the "willfully ignorant" category and I will do what I can to see that you never get an answer to any question you ever ask on this forum again.

BiggieBert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 06:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
I can't read...

Rep Power: 41 myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 48 reviews

your going to have to tighten your throttle cable now so it actually opens all the way.
i love to rape kids...*silence*

let me touch you.
myHonda1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 08:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

You may call it "anal", but I call it attention to detail.
Clint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 11:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 11 d16asfck is learning the way of the Dd16asfck is learning the way of the D
Send a message via MSN to d16asfck

nice diy will try it too

IRISH
BLOOD

HELLAFLUSH
hawt! but stupid.
just like blonds...

blah,blah,blah.......well fuck you

EG8
EJ1
d16asfck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 11:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
1.8 nawz powa

Rep Power: 38 Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Topher is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 58 reviews

i always thought it was like that to make the air flow a certain way
Old 03-23-2010, 12:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
ministry of mayhem!

Rep Power: 48 eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to eddcartes Send a message via Yahoo to eddcartes

nice.

will do this soon.
Evil spirits beautiful naked girl live boobs

Quote:
I mess with cars because it's more socially acceptable than a cocaine habit ... although the cocaine would probably be cheaper.
Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #666!
rip emilio gallardo (milo). outstanding father, spouse, friend and member of dso. you will always be missed.

rip, patprimmer. last of the titans.

one thing i've learned from this job is to always keep a pack of cheese for your whine.

my ED6 build thread:

my dyno compe build:

eddcartes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 12:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lurking... ಠ_ಠ In Your Thread

Rep Power: 45 E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 51 reviews
Send a message via AIM to E. Jeezy Send a message via Yahoo to E. Jeezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by myHonda1 View Post
your going to have to tighten your throttle cable now so it actually opens all the way.
This.

"I dont like talking to car forum people as much as I used to so now I just stick to the picture threads." ~E. Jeezy

"I should have well over 30k posts but d-series.org doesn't take into account, all the shit that I talk."
~E. Jeezy

"I'm so awesome that I quote myself in my own signature."
~E. Jeezy
E. Jeezy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 01:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by myHonda1 View Post
no you won't.....pull floor mat out of the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 01:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 29 Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

I hate to rail on your parade.
But typically they make it so the throttle plate has a slight rake to it at WOT because the air will flow better across it like that, than it would if it were completely flat due to the obstruction of the throttle shaft.
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 06:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 paulwall will become famous soon enoughpaulwall will become famous soon enoughpaulwall will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Tilt View Post
I hate to rail on your parade.
But typically they make it so the throttle plate has a slight rake to it at WOT because the air will flow better across it like that, than it would if it were completely flat due to the obstruction of the throttle shaft.
if your goona rain, tell us where you got your clouds. in the mean time look at this

Old 03-23-2010, 06:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

did you just draw that? lol i kid

Quote:
you will get stuck in the "willfully ignorant" category and I will do what I can to see that you never get an answer to any question you ever ask on this forum again.

BiggieBert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 07:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

lol yea i just drew it up real quick to ilistrate that air would flow much better over a butterfly thats perfectly horizontal rather than one thats at say 3-4*

Old 03-23-2010, 07:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 T-rilla is a name known to allT-rilla is a name known to allT-rilla is a name known to allT-rilla is a name known to allT-rilla is a name known to allT-rilla is a name known to allT-rilla is a name known to allT-rilla is a name known to allT-rilla is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

LOL awsome, and love the "scetch"

feel free to let me know what you think.
T-rilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 07:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series G0D

K2e2vin It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to K2e2vin

I'm pretty sure it's not as simple as it sounds, nor as flow as simple as you illustrated(I know the part throttle illustration is off); he brings up a good point about the shaft though I don't know how much of a difference it would make. I know in the motorcycle throttles I've seen the shaft's profile is smaller where the throttle plate mounts.
1992 Honda Accord LX coupe

K2e2vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 08:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
Defender of the D

Rep Power: 19 Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!
Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 50 reviews

well technically... ur not 100% open the plate and throttle rod is in the way.. they make some throttle bodies that actually give you 100% open throttle don't know what their called tho..
Quote:
to put the words all motor d16 and beast in the same sentence is pretty funny LOL , go boost if you want a beast, the best you can hope for NA is a kitten.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrain T.
If it's not a Honda, Its a Nissan
Dmod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 08:23 PM   #17 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 29 Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmod View Post
well technically... ur not 100% open the plate and throttle rod is in the way.. they make some throttle bodies that actually give you 100% open throttle don't know what their called tho..
Theyre called barrel throttles, Ive only seen them used on serious race engines.

I cant find any reliable information about the whole throttle plate angle thing. Although I could probably draw it.
Ill try to search for the information in my colleges databases tomro, I think thats where I saw it. Either that or it was in a book.
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 08:34 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series soldier

ive heard them called rotary valves...same thing...i know the scetch isnt perfect i was just saying...the shaft is going to be in the way no mater what...i see no reason for the butterfly to be in the way also. and K2e2vin fyi our the shafts are thinner where the butterfly mounts.....thats weird cus my honda is the only place i have seen that it had a slight rake to it.

Last edited by paulwall; 03-23-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:58 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 dirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatness
Send a message via AIM to dirty d Send a message via Yahoo to dirty d

If you want to get technical you could also sand down the edges around the throttle like where the throttle plate screws into, making the edges thinner and smoother would improve flow only slightly.
dirty d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 09:01 PM   #20 (permalink)
my dd has 1800 ftlbs of torque

Rep Power: 21 Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!
Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 13 reviews

thought this was bout tightening your throttle cable so when its floored its at wot

ak riding shotgun literally

autox/ touge ej1
Built 12.5 d., ac, pic selects, itr sway, wide wheels, more bracing than a dentist office lol

09 Chevy 3500hd crew cab long bed 4x4 just because I felt like it
Tibby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in