DIY: HID kit install - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2010, 11:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Adia's Daddy

Rep Power: 26 Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!
Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Steve-O
Default DIY: HID kit install

I posted this in the electronics forum but I don't think anyone saw it (LOL or maybe they didn't and just didn't give a shit ) so I thought I would post it in the DIY section since it does show how to install them yourself.

I gave into the HID trend and installed a set of HID's on the Element.

I linked to my Flickr album with the install so it can be viewed in a separate window and slower connections won't get slaughtered with 30+ pics in this thread.

Here is the album on my Flickr page: VVME.com HID KIT INSTALL

YouTube video of the lights warming up: YouTube - My Element's VVME.com 4300K Bi-Xenon H4 HIDs warm-up

This kit is the dual-HID beam one (the bulb moves via a magnetic solenoid built into the base) and it comes with the proper shield to eliminate glare and maintain proper OEM-style lighting spread and cutoff. The high-beam is quite powerful as you will see in the vid when I switch between the two and the fact that the tape has 3M embossed in it led me to believe that the kit isn't as cheap as I thought it might have been, being an off-shore brand.

Any questions or comments, feel free to ask!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Living the humble dream as an independent shop repair tech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
One thing I have always believed, and I think should apply here too for the most part, is this: If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all. Why put forth that effort to tell someone some negative stuff that you know they won't like to hear. Build your car how you want, and let others do the same.

Namaste
Steve-O is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2010, 07:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Well?

Rep Power: 33 1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 38 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 1.5Slowmatic

looks almost like my kit. I have to agree with the shields on them they have a decent cut off. I still plan to do a retro eventually. Nice write up
Quote:
Nate is seriously one of those angry white men you read about all the time.

Headlight Harness DIY Upgrade
DIY Ice Box Intake
Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #7
1.5Slowmatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 03:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

I did the retrofit with these adapters. Used them on OEM Acura TL pieces I got from a local body shop.

H4 to D2S/D2R Adapters for Philips HID bulbs civic 9003 : eBay Motors (item 280303320153 end time Apr-11-10 18:53:49 PDT)
vtecbrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 01:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 15 immajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecbrown View Post
I did the retrofit with these adapters. Used them on OEM Acura TL pieces I got from a local body shop.

H4 to D2S/D2R Adapters for Philips HID bulbs civic 9003 : eBay Motors (item 280303320153 end time Apr-11-10 18:53:49 PDT)
does that really work?
immajackuup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2010, 06:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Adia's Daddy

Rep Power: 26 Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!

They likely do work quite well, however the Element uses a dual-filament bulb for it's high and low beam so unless you have a kit specifically designed to use the HID bulb for both high and low beams, I would much rather have the VVME kit that I installed. Also, with that adapter I believe you need to piece the kit together yourself as far as the bulbs and wiring.

At least you know it's designed for your specific application and comes with everything you need for a finished and complete install not to mention maintaining the OEM headlight output and operation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
One thing I have always believed, and I think should apply here too for the most part, is this: If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all. Why put forth that effort to tell someone some negative stuff that you know they won't like to hear. Build your car how you want, and let others do the same.

Namaste
Old 03-26-2010, 07:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

After fitting my hid kit they eventually broke and one of the bulbs went so if i do put a new kit in my car ill be looking at what you did again,good stuff!
021_bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2010, 07:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Adia's Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 021_bennett View Post
After fitting my hid kit they eventually broke and one of the bulbs went so if i do put a new kit in my car ill be looking at what you did again,good stuff!
Honestly, for the price of the kit and everything you get with it, you really can't beat it. Replacement bulbs are readily available from the site and fairly inexpensive. They also come in pairs WITH the H4 bases so you really don't have much to worry about so long as the kit is installed properly and all safety and wiring precautions are taken.

Now don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying that any other kit is substandard compared to this one, but being as picky as I am about my vehicles, it is a kit I have recommended to anyone I talk to looking to get into a PROPER HID kit.

Longevity will be the next test for sure, but again it comes with a one-year warranty so not too much worry there. My friend here at the dealership has been using their kits for over two years now with the same success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by

Namaste

Last edited by Steve-O; 03-26-2010 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
The Great Weldini

Rep Power: 32 remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....
remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 54 reviews
Send a message via AIM to remoer Send a message via MSN to remoer Send a message via Yahoo to remoer

awesome steve. IMHO my problem about doing anything in a 4th gen civic is that alot of the the new upgrades might put a strain on my oem wire harness since it's old.

The suspension should always be faster than the engine - BMW

The term stage was created to make mentally slow ppl feel physically fast.

my DOHC ZC - 133.73whp and 108.48wtq (tuned on a Dynojet)
remoer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2010, 08:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Adia's Daddy

For those looking for the direct link, this is the exact kit I purchased for the Element, which will work on all vehicles equipped with an H4 headlight bulb

Digital Slim H4-3(9003) Bi-Xenon HID Kit - $70.99 : VVME.COM, Car Parts, HID KIT, Tattoo Kit, Ballast, Bulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by

Namaste
Old 03-26-2010, 08:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
Adia's Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by remoer View Post
awesome steve. IMHO my problem about doing anything in a 4th gen civic is that alot of the the new upgrades might put a strain on my oem wire harness since it's old.
The kit I have uses a separate relayed and fused power source right from the battery so allnit needs is the signal from your OEM headlight plug to fire up the igniters and ballasts. It will be just a single beam I'd imagine, but it should still work for the 9006 bulb application.

I'd definitely check around to make sure that it will be okay on your OEM harness, but if you get the kit with the harness like I have, you should be okay. Check the site for more
info remo .

Quote:
Originally Posted by

Namaste
Old 03-26-2010, 09:04 AM   #11 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 15 immajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagle

so the shield move up and down for high beam?
immajackuup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2010, 02:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Adia's Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by immajackuup View Post
so the shield move up and down for high beam?
The bulb moves in and via a magnetic solenoid built into the bulb base which moves the uncovered part if the glass over the opening on the shield. I'm on my iPod at work right now so I'll attach some pics to try and explain how the high beam works.

Trust me, once you see the high beam in action you'll nevergo back to a regular halogen dual-filament again.

Also, the digital ballasts ensure that the lights remain fully lit even with voltage dips in the electrical system. It's almost like having a capacitive power source for your headlights. Before when my A/C compressor would turn on, the headlights would dim (needs the ELD Bulletin Update, but it does it either way) but now they stay on full power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by

Namaste
Old 03-26-2010, 03:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Well?

Rep Power: 33 1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

ill give some insight to the retro with that adapter since i have a kit JUST like Steves and wanna do the retro. You buy the harness, the bulbs and projectors and thats really all you need. If your going Bi-Xenon, you can get bi-xenon projectors from a car like the FX-35 or E55. This is my plan with a 5000k bulb. No special wiring or anything is needed as long as you have a kit currently in your car other than the adapters.
Quote:

DIY Ice Box Intake
Old 04-04-2010, 07:52 PM   #14 (permalink)

The for sale section on HID Planet always has some good deals around. However, please, please, please, for the sake of everyone on the roads, do not use a plug and play kit. You won't be able to prevent glare no matter how you aim your lights. Do an actual retrofit using quality projectors out of an OEM headlamp. You won't affect other people on the road and you'll be able to see better due to a better beam distribution under the cutoff.
glarus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2010, 08:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 11 NightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regularNightCat is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

seems as though those shield really stop what people complain about with HID's in the EK bodies. is that the light goes off in all directions a making it dangerous for other drivers.

Seems as though this would solve that problem pretty well..Ill have to look into getting a set.
NightCat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2010, 07:30 AM   #16 (permalink)

Rep Power: 11 triphop631 will become famous soon enoughtriphop631 will become famous soon enoughtriphop631 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to triphop631

@Steve-O Love all the pictures. have you seen this kit installed in a 96-00 civic?

I would love to buy one of those as long as I know that I won't reflect the light all over the place.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
Adia's Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by glarus View Post
The for sale section on HID Planet always has some good deals around. However, please, please, please, for the sake of everyone on the roads, do not use a plug and play kit. You won't be able to prevent glare no matter how you aim your lights. Do an actual retrofit using quality projectors out of an OEM headlamp. You won't affect other people on the road and you'll be able to see better due to a better beam distribution under the cutoff.
The shield with the bi-xenon kit that I have eliminates the glare common to the plug-and-play kits without a shield.

IMO bi-xenon kit with a separate shield is THE ONLY kit I would recommend for use in any headlight HID upgrade. That way you don't have to go the route of a retrofit kit and source out projectors and dissect your headlights. You can still achieve better light output than a halogen system while maintaining OEM beam patterns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightCat View Post
seems as though those shield really stop what people complain about with HID's in the EK bodies. is that the light goes off in all directions a making it dangerous for other drivers.

Seems as though this would solve that problem pretty well..Ill have to look into getting a set.
The shield does exactly that. It maintains the OEM-style lighting pattern and cutoff while eliminating the glare. Basically, the other HID kits without shields are acting like driving with your highbeams on all the time.

I've had the kit in for a bit now and not one single oncoming vehicle has flashed me yet on the highway, on secondary country roads or in the city. I've even gone so far as to park the Element and walk ahead to see how bright they are. They have noticeably more light output than my PIAA Super Plasma GT-X's but the light pattern on the road ahead for oncoming traffic is the same and there is none of the glare I see with a lot of other non-shielded HID kits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by triphop631 View Post
@Steve-O Love all the pictures. have you seen this kit installed in a 96-00 civic?

I would love to buy one of those as long as I know that I won't reflect the light all over the place.
I have not installed the kit on a '96-'00 Civic yet but my friend is purchasing the same bi-xenon kit I have for his EK coupe. He asked me to help him install the kit so once we do, I'll be able to get pics and tell you how it looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by

Namaste
Old 04-05-2010, 06:49 PM   #18 (permalink)
Well?

i have a VERY similar kit in my 00, its a great kit with a nice cut off and output for not being a retrofit
Quote:

DIY Ice Box Intake
Old 04-05-2010, 08:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 14 cbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 34 reviews

I want hids but I'm still on the fence about any pnp kit since I don't want to blind everyone..I have been blinded by hids and didn't flash the people who were blinding me.What's the point? Are they going to go home and remove their purple 20 dollar ebay hid kit? Nope.

These don't seem too bad but I want to see pics against a wall.At 70 dollars i might buy a set try them out and if I don't like them try and re sell them

Quote:
holy fXck let him go back to honda tech where he can talk about the physics of some carbon fiber kanards or however its spelled
cbuscivictuner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2010, 09:16 PM   #20 (permalink)
Adia's Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuscivictuner View Post
I want hids but I'm still on the fence about any pnp kit since I don't want to blind everyone..I have been blinded by hids and didn't flash the people who were blinding me.What's the point? Are they going to go home and remove their purple 20 dollar ebay hid kit? Nope.

These don't seem too bad but I want to see pics against a wall.At 70 dollars i might buy a set try them out and if I don't like them try and re sell them
Here's a vid of mine warming up as well as switching between high and low beam:

YouTube - My 2004 Honda Element VVME.com 4300K Bi-Xenon H4 HIDs warm-up

It's not the best quality vid as it was shot with my digital camera, but as you can see there is a definite cutoff like the OEM lighting would have.

The 4300K Bi-Xenon H4 kit with digital slim ballast is honestly the only one you want. Also, the digital ballasts are better than the standard analog units. I'm not exactly sure of the technology behind them but I know they offer better ON/OFF protection for the bulbs and the digital ballasts do a better job at regulating the power for the bulbs. Also, the system has it's own fused and relayed power source directly from the battery so you don't have to worry about damaging your OEM headlight harness as the kit only uses the power from it as a signal to turn on the system.

As listed on the site:

Self protection - External protection by a fuse box, 100% security for ballast itself, bulbs and the entire electric system
EMI proof - Digital ballast generates minimal EMI. Cables are EMI-shielded
Time between ON and OFF - Digital internal ignition module provides max protection against power ON/OFF cycles

Also, should any parts of it become worn or damaged outside of warranty, you can buy pieces of the kit to replace them which is nice.

Replacement bulbs (come in pairs w/ shields): Bi-Xenon(Dual Beam) HID Bulbs - $28.99 : VVME.COM, Car Parts, HID KIT, Tattoo Kit, Ballast, Bulbs

Replacement ballast with igniter: Digital Slim HID Ballast - $23.99 : VVME.COM, Car Parts, HID KIT, Tattoo Kit, Ballast, Bulbs

Replacement relay wiring harness: Relay Harness For Bi-Xenon(Dual Beam) HID Kit - $12.99 : VVME.COM, Car Parts, HID KIT, Tattoo Kit, Ballast, Bulbs[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by

Namaste
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in