How To: Replace a Fuel Filter - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 03:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 EJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EJ6Civic27
Default How To: Replace a Fuel Filter

Since my del Sol has over 200k on it, and noticing that the fuel filter was quite bad looking, I decided to change it out. Such an easy task to do, yet a very overlooked maintenance item. This was performed on a 94 del Sol, but should be the same process for all Civics with a firewall mounted fuel filter.

Time Needed:
About 15-20 minutes, depending on how fast you work.

Materials Needed:
shop rags
fuel filter (with copper crush gaskets)

Tools Needed:
9/16 brake line flare wrench
10mm socket
3/8" extention
ratchet
17mm wrench (or a socket works too)

I take no responsibility to anything you damage or break. Work at your own risk!

Before you begin, loosen your gas cap to release the pressure in the fuel system. Pop your hood, and you'll be looking at something similar to this:

The fuel filter is that little round thing thats bolted to the firewall, to the right of your battery. Boy that looks horrid.

To get started, use your 9/16 flare wrench to loosen and remove the fuel line going into the right side of the filter. Make sure to place your shop rags underneith the filter to soak up any fuel that will leak out. Next, use your 17mm wrench (or socket/ratchet), and loosen and remove the line on the left side of the filter that connects it to the fuel rail. As you remove the bolt, be sure to remove any copper crush gaskets on either side of the line.

Now that you have both fuel lines disconnected from the filter, you'll want to loosen (or remove if you so choose) the holder/braket that keeps the filter in place. Its a 10mm bolt, and its sort of a pain to get to. I used a 3" extention, and got the ratched in between the filter itself and the battery. (Bolt is circled in red, but you must remove it from the opposite side.)

Once you either loosen or remove the bolt, remove both the filter and the bracket (or wiggle the filter up out of the bracket). Be carefull as you do so, because its still full of fuel.

Old, nasty filter with the bracket attached.

Where the new filter will go.

Old filter, new filter, and the bracket (from left to right).

Installation of the new filter is simply the reverse of removal. Attach both lines to the filter (the copper crush gaskets go on both sides of the left most, rubber, line. One between the bolt and the line, and another between the line and the filter), reinstall the filter into the bracket, and reinstall the bracket onto the main bracket thats attached to the firewall.

Nice, shiny new filter.

Make sure everything is all tightened up, tighten your gas cap, and start the motor up. Make sure nothing is leaking. If you see no gas leaking from the lines, your set and job is finished. If you see fuel leaking from the lines, either the lines arent tight, or you forgot to install the copper gaskets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

a6 Cam/z6 intake manifold/full header back exhaust
Spider RPM tune/3500rpm launch/7200 fuel cut/NGK AFX Wideband

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EJ6Civic27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2010, 04:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
They call me Awesome!

Rep Power: 38 awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

Clean and simple! I would definitely recommend this to someone who hasn't done theirs yet, especially on higher mileage cars.
awebb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 04:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Shoot me!

Rep Power: 45 Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 50 reviews

Nice DIY!

GO STEELERS!
Hellhatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 05:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 30 BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BigJnWorldWide Send a message via Yahoo to BigJnWorldWide

GREAT diy!!!!! This is exactly how I changed mine......consequently the only way to change it. But pics help others out nonetheless.

A+++ for pic references.
On top of that you have a special knowledge, an understanding of the complexity of the things happening. Others see you turn the wheel and push down on the gas, not you. You see a symphony of combustion and physics. You see a balance between frictional coefficients, tire roll over, spring rates, and throttle. It's a beautiful thing to see all these components working in harmony, it's literally a ballet of force and mathematics!
BigJnWorldWide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 05:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
I can't read...

Rep Power: 41 myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 48 reviews

good job.
i love to rape kids...*silence*

let me touch you.
myHonda1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 05:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 EFtouge is learning the way of the DEFtouge is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EFtouge

this reminded me... i should probably change mine... thanksss bro
EFtouge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 05:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

they couldnt put that filter in a more convient spot. nice DIY

2007 Toyota Matrix XR (1ZZFE 6spd)
2005 Pontiac Vibe GT (2ZZGE 6spd)
1991 Toyota 2WD 400k

You will be missed but not forgotten.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 10:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

Rep Power: 12 colsanders is learning the way of the Dcolsanders is learning the way of the D

I found when i did mine on my ED, since i couldnt find a banjo bolt wrench, I used a c-clamp and a vise grips. Im not reusing the old one anyway. Just a disclaimer tho, it might wreck the old one.
colsanders is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 10:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 EJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to all

The 17mm wrench fits over the banjo bolt perfectly.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:43 AM   #10 (permalink)

Rep Power: 12 colsanders is learning the way of the Dcolsanders is learning the way of the D

Thanks for the tip! ill remember that!
colsanders is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 11:16 AM   #11 (permalink)

Rep Power: 14 firebane is learning the way of the Dfirebane is learning the way of the D

Good job.

I should point out tho that these nuts aren't always that easy to take off.

In my 98 EJ I had to remove the fuel line to the fuel rail still attached to the fuel filter to be able to break the nut.

Impact may have solved this but I didn't have one.
firebane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 11:36 AM   #12 (permalink)
\/ apply baby lotion here \/

Rep Power: 46 Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 136 reviews
Exclamation

One good way to release fuel pressure is to remove your Fuel Pump fuse and turn your car on. It will shut off by itself.

One very important safety tip you forgot to add was to cover your positive post of your Battery so your wrench/ratchet don't touch it while you're working. You don't want to ground your tools

Leaking Fuel + Spark = FAIL!

Good write up tho

Pata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 11:41 AM   #13 (permalink)
yEaH tHaT gUy!!!

Rep Power: 32 Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Onatop Send a message via Yahoo to Onatop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pata View Post
One very important safety tip you forgot to add was to cover your positive post of your Battery so your wrench/ratchet don't touch it while you're working. You don't want to ground your tools

QFT.

nice DIY tho.

Often replicated but never DUPLICATED & NEVER done like D&M Tuning
Onatop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2010, 07:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pata View Post
One good way to release fuel pressure is to remove your Fuel Pump fuse and turn your car on. It will shut off by itself.

Good write up tho
Wouldnt be a bad idea. I figured Id be safe with the red rubber covering the terminal. Just be careful and cautious around that area, and you'll be fine.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:24 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 11 JDQuikSIR is a name known to allJDQuikSIR is a name known to allJDQuikSIR is a name known to allJDQuikSIR is a name known to allJDQuikSIR is a name known to allJDQuikSIR is a name known to allJDQuikSIR is a name known to allJDQuikSIR is a name known to allJDQuikSIR is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

nice...i think mine needs to be done asap....
JDQuikSIR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2010, 09:26 AM   #16 (permalink)
n00b

On my list of things to do as well. Do the crush washers come with the filter typically or are they a separate item to purchase? None of my previous cars had a banjo directly on the filter so I'd like to know before I hit the store.

- Super Gas Mileage project.

($100 junkyard KLG4)
hppwdn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 04:07 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

The filter I got (Purolater, from Advance Auto) had the crush washers in with the filter. Some chassis have the filter-to-fuel rail line underneith the filter (I know 96-00 Civics do), but the general process is the same, all around.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:32 AM   #18 (permalink)
Defender of the D

Rep Power: 19 Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!
Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!

another way to relieve pressure off the system is to simply remove your fuel cap. You ever hear that SHhhhhhhhh when you go to get gas.. Yeaaaaaa.
Quote:
to put the words all motor d16 and beast in the same sentence is pretty funny LOL , go boost if you want a beast, the best you can hope for NA is a kitten.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrain T.
If it's not a Honda, Its a Nissan
Dmod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 04:46 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ6Civic27 View Post
Before you begin, loosen your gas cap to release the pressure in the fuel system. Pop your hood, and you'll be looking at something similar to this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmod View Post
another way to relieve pressure off the system is to simply remove your fuel cap. You ever hear that SHhhhhhhhh when you go to get gas.. Yeaaaaaa.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:51 AM   #20 (permalink)
Defender of the D

Rep Power: 19 Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!
Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!

aww damn. guess i missed where you wrote that.. lolz.
Quote:
to put the words all motor d16 and beast in the same sentence is pretty funny LOL , go boost if you want a beast, the best you can hope for NA is a kitten.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrain T.
If it's not a Honda, Its a Nissan
Dmod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in