DIY Polish your headlights with the 3M kit. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2010, 02:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

jeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default DIY Polish your headlights with the 3M kit.

This is my first DIY that's not in the VIP section, So let me know how you like it. I'm also going to review the product I used.

I bought the 3M Headlight Restoration Kit from VIP for $20. Its got everything you need to do the job from start to finish. You just need a cordless screw gun and you're in business.

This was done on my wife's '02 Mitsubishi Lancer that she bought new 8 years ago, the lights are very pitted and "sand blasted" from lots of highway use, 168k to be exact. The light out put started to get worse and worse so it was time to fix 'em.

Time: One light faster then a 9 month month old can finish a 10 ounce bottle.
(explained later)

Materials:
3M kit, screwgun, water sprayer(I used an old glass cleaner bottle)
paper towels and some tape if you want to tape off your paint to avoid hitting it while sanding, I didn't.

So I laid out the kit, It comes with 6 coarse sanding disks, 4 fine sanding discs, 1 very fine sanding pad, one buffer pad and the drive piece for the gun.

Before pic, they were both this bad.

So You start with the coarse sanding disc, medium speed, medium pressure, I did it wet even though the direction say to do it dry, sanding plastic my brain said,"don't be dumb, that shit will clog up on the first pass dry." I sprayed lots of water while doing it, every 8-10 seconds or so. It makes a plastic slurry so you don't want it to get thick and goopy. The key is taking your time. Keep going till you think its done, then sand for another 2 min to be sure you sanded enough. The more complete you do each step, the better the outcome will be. Then switch the coarse disc for the fine disc, sand until all the coarse scratches are out. Lots of water, lots. It keeps the plastic cool and the disc clean.

And after a fresh water spray down.

Now you switch to the very fine sanding pad, lots of water, same as before.
After this step they get sorta clear.

Now time to buff. They give you a cool little buffing pad and some compound to use. Garrett held the gun while I put it on. See he's about half done his bottle. He supervises me while I'm in the garage.

1995 Delcamino D15Beater7
Synchrotech EX trans / LSD clutch
Ebay Header/Hackpro Custom 2" Exhaust
Nitrous Express Wet Kit
Hackpro Custom one-off tow hitch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
You win at everything forever!
jeremy85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2010, 02:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

jeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussie

So you buff with the compound and BAM, your lights are lookin like new!

Before

Big difference.

Now critique constructively

Nitrous Express Wet Kit

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:

Last edited by jeremy85; 03-07-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Oh and to add, the kit is great, I have enough to do the Delcamino too, but that will be another day.

Edit: Another day is here.

OK, I polished the Sol's lights tonight. Here are the before pics.

And the afters.

So one kit can do 2 cars if you use plenty of water and don't F up the sanding discs.

Nitrous Express Wet Kit

Quote:

Last edited by jeremy85; 03-08-2010 at 06:10 PM.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 24 reviews

Looks great dude I love my ej1's glass headlights though

'90 Chevy Suburban - Future daily go-anywhere machine

'90 GMC Suburban - DD, future parts truck for the Chevy
95_EJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2010, 04:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

Lookin good! Should post this on EvolutionM.net though...but a good DIY regardless.

My Lancer's headlights were starting to do that too right before it got traded in.
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2010, 04:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
noob

z6civicex It's a JDM Star Bitches....z6civicex It's a JDM Star Bitches....z6civicex It's a JDM Star Bitches....z6civicex It's a JDM Star Bitches....z6civicex It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 31 reviews

nice write up...im going to do my g/f's headlights next weekend now!

z6civicex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2010, 05:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER

Rep Power: 24 guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano
guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 46 reviews

I did this at my last job, works great.

we used a setup that came with more grits of sandpaper and the process was more involved, we used a polisher and a cleaner at the end to.

for really hazed lights
sander
1000 wet
3000 wet

polisher
cleaner
polisher

The thing is that angle grinder/sanders we used where just cheap made in tawian tools that I think Harbor freight sells actually. and the guy that sold us the kit and demonstrated how to use it was saying that the different guns for sanding and polishing had a purpose. I think one was orbital and one the rpm was lower or something....
Old 03-07-2010, 05:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
I did this at my last job, works great.

we used a setup that came with more grits of sandpaper and the process was more involved, we used a polisher and a cleaner at the end to.

Yeah, there should be a grit in between the first 2 discs imo, its like it jumps from 500 grit to 3000, but overall great real world results for a great price that almost anyone can do.

And I did throw a coat of wax on them too.

Nitrous Express Wet Kit

Quote:
Old 03-08-2010, 04:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Nice review.I've had my buddy doing this for my mustangs since 1998 man fords are bad for this but the kit is real close to what he does might have to try this on the wifes pt cruiser this weekend.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Added more pics up there^^^

Nitrous Express Wet Kit

Quote:
Old 03-10-2010, 04:42 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 EJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EJ6Civic27

Gonna have to do this to my Sol's headlights, as they looked JUST like yours did.

a6 Cam/z6 intake manifold/full header back exhaust
Spider RPM tune/3500rpm launch/7200 fuel cut/NGK AFX Wideband

EJ6Civic27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2010, 11:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 13 RhapsodynMotion is starting to learn the ropesRhapsodynMotion is starting to learn the ropesRhapsodynMotion is starting to learn the ropesRhapsodynMotion is starting to learn the ropesRhapsodynMotion is starting to learn the ropesRhapsodynMotion is starting to learn the ropesRhapsodynMotion is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

looks great. will save this for future reference.

RhapsodynMotion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2010, 11:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 51 reviews

all you need is some compound and hand glaze. A bit of very fine sand paper if there's any big defects like scratches.

NeonPinHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2010, 02:22 AM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

amazing results mate! ive also done this using 1000 grit wet & dry paper and same as you, using a machine polisher with a high end polish!

kbartlett1888 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2010, 04:16 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 11 gsxtuner smells like Boratgsxtuner smells like Boratgsxtuner smells like Boratgsxtuner smells like Boratgsxtuner smells like Boratgsxtuner smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to gsxtuner Send a message via Yahoo to gsxtuner

Look brand new! We sell these kits at advance now i have some proof this kit is worth the cost. I've always wondered about them but never got around to using any of the kits we sell at advance auto parts.

Turtle wax seems to be the big seller, now theres also a rainX kit. Anyone got any input or comparsion photos of the other kits too?

Def. a well written DIY!
Old 03-18-2010, 05:33 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

PiKapp504 is almost there....PiKapp504 is almost there....PiKapp504 is almost there....PiKapp504 is almost there....PiKapp504 is almost there....PiKapp504 is almost there....PiKapp504 is almost there....PiKapp504 is almost there....
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

I used this kit a few months back on my 2.2CL...made a WORLD of difference! And for like $20, you can't beat it! Yellow pad, white pad, polish, buff, done. And you're right, use LOTS of water so it doesn't load up.

I don't make it rain...I make it inclement weather!

Cars:
05 Dodge Magnum RT- daily
PiKapp504 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2010, 09:41 AM   #17 (permalink)
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob

Rep Power: 43 mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 43 reviews

^ Has to have at least one CAPITALIZED word per post.

It's a fact.
Tyranny does not always burst through your front door wearing body armor and brandishing an assault rifle. Sometimes, it waltzes through your living room and sweeps you off your feet. Sometimes, it promises warmth and safety. Sometimes, tyranny invites you out to the party and makes you feel like you belong.
Quote:
and yes, i is a accedentally bamf status
Quote:
Holly hell man! I couldn't do that much damage to a motor on a three day weekend/bender with a jackhammer and a quest from the Lord.
mindless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2010, 12:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 JesSIca will become famous soon enoughJesSIca will become famous soon enoughJesSIca will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

damn sold!! im getting one asap....randomly ive got one foggy head light....I thought about just buying a new one but screw that!!
JesSIca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2010, 08:27 PM   #19 (permalink)

Thats dope put I would take the lights out. Good DIY though.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:08 PM   #20 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to banner

wow thats nice, I need to do this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in