DIY Door Prop Repair - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2010, 09:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
VTEC withdrawals

Rep Power: 12 spoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to spoonsol
Default DIY Door Prop Repair

This is my first write-up so suggestions on how to improve are welcomed.
Im not sure how many honda's this pertains to BUT this was done to my 1993 del sol. the drivers side door has been closing on itself for a year and ive had this part the whole time...finally got off my ass to fix it. here we go

TOOLS REQUIRED :
flat head screwdriver
Phillips head screwdriver
hammer or "smashing" device of choice
pliers
10mm socket or wrench
/\ ratchet or breaker bar if socket is used

Step 1: remove these three (3) screws

Step 2: pull the door handle out of the door panel and detach the locking lever and the handle lever. its pretty easy with some pliers. the little white plastic things form a "U" shape....just turn that to where the U isnt holding the bar then lift up or pull down. both should come right out. set the handle aside. instead of detaching the cable mechanism i chose to just unscrew the bracket from the handle.

Step 3: take your flat head screwdriver and start prying at the bottom right corner of the door. itll take a little force...and be prepared to here a lot of loud pops. when the panel becomes dislodeged make sure to disconnect the green connector for the power windows.

Step 4: pull out and up on the door panel....it has some bracketry by the window that requires an upward pull.

Step 5: peel back the "sound proofing" in the top right corner till you can access the needed area.

Step 6: if yours had been broken off youll probably have a piece still hanging on behind the bolts but inside the door...be sure to hold it while removing the two (2) 10mm bolt on the outside so it doesnt drop down into your door.....remove the two 10mm bolts if they are there

the two 10mm bolts

Step 7: place the new piece into place and bolt it down. just as good measure tighten each bolt a little at a time.

Step 8: this will require some force but place the end of the prop into the bracket and slam this pin into the hole...putting the pin in took quite a bit of force...i used a crank stop tool i had made from 1/2inch steel.

Step 9: put the door panel back on. MAKE SURE that the cable for the door handle is out of the hole so you dont have to feel around for it thru the handle hole. I advise putting the ridge that goes on the top down into the window area in first and pushing down...this is going to take a lot of force...did for me at least. once that goes in just apply some force to the perimeter of the door panel...youll hear it pop back into place.

Step 10: put the door handle back on...i suggest putting the cable portion on first because it can be moved around with it attached. follow that by attaching the metal rod.

Step 11: put the three screws back into place.

you should be done. congrats

NOTE: i ACTUALLY had 13 images to go with this post....trying to be detailed...turns out you can only do up to 8...i never knew

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
spoonsol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2010, 09:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
\/ apply baby lotion here \/

Rep Power: 46 Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 136 reviews

hmmm, this is a first.

I've never heard of anybody breaking that one piece.

Where did you buy that little pin from?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2010, 09:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
VTEC withdrawals

Rep Power: 12 spoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to spoonsol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pata View Post
hmmm, this is a first.

I've never heard of anybody breaking that one piece.

Where did you buy that little pin from?

i bought the car with this issue...the pin was in the mount already and the arm was missing from the general part. some idiot had the car before me tho...had altezzas on it...i have yet to afford new tails so i just painted them lol

its the stock pin tho...my pass side has it and moms sol has em also. you could PROBABLY sub it with a bolt and nut

spoonsol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in